recent issues with HULU Plus Streaming

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

recent issues with HULU Plus Streaming

Postby jay3828 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:50 am

Just recently, this past week starting on Sat 4-20 best recollection. I have encountered a most frustrating issue with the HULU plus app on the Roku 2 device. This is a new device < 1 month old. I am consistently getting a Streaming error when watching any episodes on HULU. If I hit retry it errors out again at the same part. After a few retry's it works for a while then repeats. I have tried it using wireless and Ethernet. Both exhibit same issue. My internet is rock solid, I have more then 20meg down and 5 up. No dropped connections no TCP errors using sniffer. Other devices (Xbox 360 and PC) watching the same streaming content work without issue at same time. So it comes down to the Roku 2 and HULU Plus App. Any thoughts.
jay3828

Re: recent issues with HULU Plus Streaming

Postby __5 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:15 pm

jay3828 wrote:...... So it comes down to the Roku 2 and HULU Plus App. Any thoughts.

Have you had the chance to tried w/ FW ver 4.6 yet?
__5
** Valued Community Member **

Postby J_ph » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:42 pm

I have a Roku XR that is direct connect via Ethernet so it shouldn't be a connection problem. Huluplus stutters, image interference patterns, and freezes. Doe the Roku 2 series fix this problem? Does the Roku 2 have a bigger buffer?

thanks,

j
J_ph

Postby mikebdoss » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:45 pm

J_ph wrote:I have a Roku XR that is direct connect via Ethernet so it shouldn't be a connection problem. Huluplus stutters, image interference patterns, and freezes. Doe the Roku 2 series fix this problem? Does the Roku 2 have a bigger buffer?

thanks,

j

Hulu+ is bad when general network congestion is bad (evenings, weekends). It probably has nothing to do with your connection. This happens on both the Roku2 and Roku1 I have.
mikebdoss

Postby J_ph » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:55 pm

thanks Mike,

Do the symptoms that I described sound pretty common?
J_ph

Postby mikebdoss » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:12 pm

J_ph wrote:thanks Mike,

Do the symptoms that I described sound pretty common?

Unfortunately, they are. Hulu's trying to fit 10lbs of programming into a 8lb sack. When there are network issues, the software suffers.
mikebdoss

Postby Cherie_in_OC » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:10 pm

I, too, have had HORRIBLE problems with ONLY Hulu+ stuttering, freezing, images bleeding into one another, no sound when I "rewind" and sometimes sound but no picture or a frozen picture.. Hulu said "It ain't us." After 3 visits from Time-Warner techs, they said "It ain't us." Reading some of the posts on the Roku site,they say "It ain't us." Well, one MY end, this problem never happened until TWC had an outage about five weeks ago. (That means I had at least 8 months of no problems whatsoever.)

I wish all the posters would list who their ISP is. Maybe the cable companies are tweeking things because they don't like us watching TV on Roku instead of cable ;-)

BTW: This happens no matter the time of day. Sometimes it's 2 minutes into a program...sometimes 10 minutes and - rarely - after an hour.
Cherie_in_OC

Postby dwanthny » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:26 pm

Cherie_in_OC wrote:I wish all the posters would list who their ISP is. Maybe the cable companies are tweeking things because they don't like us watching TV on Roku instead of cable ;-)

I have Time Warner (in NC) and unlike you, I still have had no problems with Hulu Plus at all. You might want to run this analyzer from UC Berkeley on your network to see what might be going on under the surface.

Sorry I couldn't help.
:idea: 20GB of Free CLOUD STORAGE: For a limited time you can use this link https://copy.com?r=lB3oTH to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
dwanthny

Postby catastrophegirl » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:19 pm

Cherie_in_OC wrote:I wish all the posters would list who their ISP is. Maybe the cable companies are tweeking things because they don't like us watching TV on Roku instead of cable ;-)

eh, i had earthlink at 7mbps and switched to TWC at 20mbps and nothing changed about the problems i experience with hulu plus on my roku N1000, my roku1 XD/s and my roku2 XS.
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless
speed range from ~18-20mbps
http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/
twitter: catastrophegirl
PM or tweet me if you want a channel added to my list, a correction or to update a developers' credit
catastrophegirl

Postby mikebdoss » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:26 pm

catastrophegirl wrote:

eh, i had earthlink at 7mbps and switched to TWC at 20mbps and nothing changed about the problems i experience with hulu plus on my roku N1000, my roku1 XD/s and my roku2 XS.

Indeed - the problem seems to stem almost entirely from Hulu's servers, not your own ISP. People seem to forget (or not know) that a connection is only as fast as the slowest hop between you and them (usually a dozen computers). I do blame the Roku (or at least Hulu's programming of the channel on the Roku) for messing up when the streams get uneven, though. Combined it can make for a very unpleasant viewing experience.
mikebdoss

Re: long term issues with HULU Plus Streaming

Postby jfnette » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:39 pm

We have our roku connected wirelessly. We have no problems with any other channels, except HULU. Iy is getting worse and worse. You can't watch any show without it freezing, sound going out, stuttering, taking forever to load, crashing, ... was looking to see if a newer Roku box would improve the issue since Time Warner and Hulu both say there is nothing wrong. I also don't want to spend $100 and have the problem continue. Hulu works on other devices and other channels play on the Roku. Help!- we did a away with paying for cable TV almost 4 years ago and I rely on the Hulu programing as a save way to watch TV shows but it is getting quite frustrating and I am considering dropping hulu plus- since it won't work on anything except the computers anyway :< JFH Please advise me.
jfnette

Postby RokuShawnS » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:17 pm

jfnette wrote:We have our roku connected wirelessly. We have no problems with any other channels, except HULU. Iy is getting worse and worse. You can't watch any show without it freezing, sound going out, stuttering, taking forever to load, crashing, ... was looking to see if a newer Roku box would improve the issue since Time Warner and Hulu both say there is nothing wrong. I also don't want to spend $100 and have the problem continue. Hulu works on other devices and other channels play on the Roku. Help!- we did a away with paying for cable TV almost 4 years ago and I rely on the Hulu programing as a save way to watch TV shows but it is getting quite frustrating and I am considering dropping hulu plus- since it won't work on anything except the computers anyway :< JFH Please advise me.

The Roku 2 has slightly better hardware than the Roku 1, so the channel performs much better on it. In general, however, it is recommended to reboot the Roku unit (regardless of the generation) after several hours of viewing the Hulu+ channel. This will perform a memory purge, and get the Roku operating at peak efficiency.

In general, Hulu+ has performance issues on every platform (even PCs!) except the most robust ones, and even then, it can be hit-or-miss.

Basically, the experience varies between users, based on a number of factors, including bandwidth, ISP, number of hops to the CDN, etc. I personally have only experience one issue with Hulu+, even on the original Roku 1 models, and none on the Roku 2, while others have experienced the exact opposite. On other DVPs, I've had numerous issues, while others have not. Most DVP issues come down to the person's internet connection and route to the CDN. Using an open DNS server, such as OpenDNS and GoogleDNS can sometimes resolve this problem.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby philsoft » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:14 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:
jfnette wrote:We have our roku connected wirelessly. We have no problems with any other channels, except HULU. Iy is getting worse and worse. You can't watch any show without it freezing, sound going out, stuttering, taking forever to load, crashing, ... was looking to see if a newer Roku box would improve the issue since Time Warner and Hulu both say there is nothing wrong. I also don't want to spend $100 and have the problem continue. Hulu works on other devices and other channels play on the Roku. Help!- we did a away with paying for cable TV almost 4 years ago and I rely on the Hulu programing as a save way to watch TV shows but it is getting quite frustrating and I am considering dropping hulu plus- since it won't work on anything except the computers anyway :< JFH Please advise me.

The Roku 2 has slightly better hardware than the Roku 1, so the channel performs much better on it. In general, however, it is recommended to reboot the Roku unit (regardless of the generation) after several hours of viewing the Hulu+ channel. This will perform a memory purge, and get the Roku operating at peak efficiency.
~~C. Shawn Smith

I wonder if we can get a more elegant way to do that, other than physically "Pulling the Plug". A reboot option in the global settings menu might be nice. :)
philsoft

Postby dwanthny » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:21 pm

philsoft wrote:
RokuShawnS wrote:In general, however, it is recommended to reboot the Roku unit (regardless of the generation) after several hours of viewing the Hulu+ channel. This will perform a memory purge, and get the Roku operating at peak efficiency.
~~C. Shawn Smith

I wonder if we can get a more elegant way to do that, other than physically "Pulling the Plug". A reboot option in the global settings menu might be nice. :)

+1 - A reboot via the settings area is a great idea.

Shawn, I know you've sent this suggestion up the line on more than one occasion, time to send it up again.
:idea: 20GB of Free CLOUD STORAGE: For a limited time you can use this link https://copy.com?r=lB3oTH to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
dwanthny

Postby RokuShawnS » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:25 pm

philsoft wrote:I wonder if we can get a more elegant way to do that, other than physically "Pulling the Plug". A reboot option in the global settings menu might be nice. :)

Heh, both CS and I have lobbied hard for it. In fact, in my last Quarterly Report, it was one of the top 5 feature requests for the 1st Quarter :). I think it will happen, it's just a matter of when. There are a lot of other things that have slightly higher priority at the moment, but I don't expect this option will not happen at some point in the near future.

Then again, I've been wanting the option since before I was an employee, back when I was just a regular Roku Joe, so about a year and a half or so. In short, we'll see, and I'll continue lobbying for it (from a tech standpoint, it makes sense, if for NO other reason).

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion