New Channel: PlayUSB "A Better USB Media Player"

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

New Channel: PlayUSB "A Better USB Media Player"

Postby marcelo.cabral » Mon May 14, 2012 10:12 pm

Hi folks,

UPDATE - April 16 2014

The beta tests are over I just released version 2.0 as payed channel, the features are:

- Fast Navigation with option to hide unsupported files
- Thumbnails for Music and Photos (if available on files metadata)
- Custom thumbnails for Music and Video by folder and by file
- Play photos in a folder as SlideShow
- Play music and/or video in a folder as a Playlist
- Play a single video in repeat mode
- Support for Subtitles (Closed Caption) on video files (SRT)
- Resume video playback from last position (for the latest played video only)
- Option to sort the files by name
- Option to enable/disable subtitles
- Option to enable/disable photo file name on slideshow

The new Url for version 2.0 is:
https://owner.roku.com/add/GetPlayUSB

The old private channel is now a trial version.

I now have a website for my channels, please visit and leave a comment:
http://bloggar.com.br/roku/playusb/

I also have another channel to play media from a NAS drive, visit the thread below to know it:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=48525
Last edited by marcelo.cabral on Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
marcelo.cabral

Re: New Channel: PlayUSB "A Better USB Media Player"

Postby RickRansom » Tue May 15, 2012 1:14 pm

I gave the channel a go earlier on my Roku 1 XD|S, and it does have a nice look to it. As for the performance of the channel, I'm not really jumpy about it.
For starters, it would not play any .MKV file and it buffers when I play .MP4 files. Not sure why.

Here's my setup:
R1 XD|S
3.1 build 1011
Samsung S2 Portable 3
PlayUSB channel 1.0

According to the Roku support page, my unit should be able to play .MKV files so I was wondering if it's a limitation of your channel or something else. I'm trying the official USB Media player channel from Roku right now and will update you shortly.

BTW, here are the codecs from the files I used earlier.

Edit:
I tested the "official" roku usb app and it played both files. Sad thing is that with the MKV file, I was some artifacts every few seconds. And on the MP4 file, it was kept buffering every minute or two.
I also tried out the Nowhere USB app and it played both files without any artifacts. Again, my .MP4 files kept buffering.

It seems like my external drive needs some polishing. I think I'll try to clean it up a bit. Only thing that bothers me is that the file plays without any issue at all on my PC(I know the PC is expected to play it without any problems, but I'm just saying). I'll post again in the future if I find something interesting.

Also, I like what you did with the channel. Browsing through my image and audio files wasn't really that smooth but it works. I have image files with resolutions of up to 4320x3240 so I guess that was expected.

Good job. :)
Retired
RickRansom

Postby catastrophegirl » Tue May 15, 2012 2:49 pm

ooh, thanks! i can't wait to check it out when i get back to my roku. is this available for all regions?
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless
speed range from ~18-20mbps
http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/
twitter: catastrophegirl
PM or tweet me if you want a channel added to my list, a correction or to update a developers' credit
catastrophegirl
** Valued Community Member **

Postby philsoft » Tue May 15, 2012 3:08 pm

RickRansom wrote:Again, my .MP4 files kept buffering.

I see your files are encoded at 24fps. I wonder if you can try encoding one with a forced framerate of 29.97 and see if that fixes the buffering for you, if not, and you are encoding with handbrake make sure that the boxes for "Web Optimized" and "Large File Size" are both checked.
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby RickRansom » Tue May 15, 2012 3:39 pm

philsoft wrote:
RickRansom wrote:Again, my .MP4 files kept buffering.

I see your files are encoded at 24fps. I wonder if you can try encoding one with a forced framerate of 29.97 and see if that fixes the buffering for you, if not, and you are encoding with handbrake make sure that the boxes for "Web Optimized" and "Large File Size" are both checked.

Ahhh... I see what you mean. Let me do that. I'll post back what happens.
Retired
RickRansom

Postby marcelo.cabral » Tue May 15, 2012 4:54 pm

Guys,

Thanks for the feedback.

Just to let you know, there is a very good topic here at the forum with all the tips to get the best encoding to the USB:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=36754

There is no point to have playback/codec differences among my channel, the official and Nowhere USB channels, all of them are using the same API.

BTW I noticed one major problem with the API, it does not return files with accented characters we found in words in Portuguese, Spanish, French etc.
I have a USB Drive that was formatted as FAT32 and noticed that some files were not being shown, I reformatted to NTFS and copyed back and the same files are hidden by the API.

Other issue is that there is no way to know if a file is hidden or not, so system folders and files shows on Roku.
marcelo.cabral

Postby Alfmeister » Tue May 15, 2012 4:59 pm

Thank you for working on a better USB player.
It would be great if you could integrate all of the features of the official USB player and Nowhere Man's USB Media Browser.

Wishlist:
Play music while playing a slideshow from a music file in the same folder as the photos
Toggle music playback with * button (or down button like with the Nowhere Man's Media Browser)
Add photo date to file name display (like the official USB Player)
Toggle filename on/off with * button
I don't know if this is possible but it would be great to have a button to have a progress display without pausing.

So far I like that you give more speed options for slideshows, that you display how much of the drive is used and that you give the option of displaying non-supported files on the drive. If there is a way to play music I haven't figured it out. I would definitely recommend that you utilize the * button as that's the easiest way to control options.
Alfmeister

Postby marcelo.cabral » Tue May 15, 2012 6:42 pm

Alfmeister wrote:Thank you for working on a better USB player.
It would be great if you could integrate all of the features of the official USB player and Nowhere Man's USB Media Browser.

Wishlist:
Play music while playing a slideshow from a music file in the same folder as the photos
Toggle music playback with * button (or down button like with the Nowhere Man's Media Browser)
Add photo date to file name display (like the official USB Player)
Toggle filename on/off with * button
I don't know if this is possible but it would be great to have a button to have a progress display without pausing.

So far I like that you give more speed options for slideshows, that you display how much of the drive is used and that you give the option of displaying non-supported files on the drive. If there is a way to play music I haven't figured it out. I would definitely recommend that you utilize the * button as that's the easiest way to control options.

Thanks for your suggestions, I will see how can I implement those.

BTW, the music playback is working, it will play as a playlist all the music from the current folder, all you need to do is click play on any mp3.
marcelo.cabral

Postby marcelo.cabral » Tue May 15, 2012 11:37 pm

I just updated the channel with Version 1.1, the improvements are:

- Audio Player: A Progress Bar is now shown below the Cover image
- Audio Player: Now shows the file name as Title and folder name as Album when MP3 do not have metadata
- SlideShow: Now shows the date the photo was taken (when available on metadata) and photo index on "TextOverlay box"
- SlideShow: The button * (star) now toggles on/off the "TextOverlay box"

On the weekend I will try to implement new features.

Enjoy!
marcelo.cabral

Postby marcelo.cabral » Sat May 19, 2012 12:49 am

Released Version 1.2, the change list is:

- Header Logo updated to show the icon
- Audio Player: Album release year moved to the right field
- Audio Player: Added the track/total information on the header
- Audio Player: Added option to shuffle audio playback
marcelo.cabral

Postby marcelo.cabral » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:52 pm

New version released to address changes on the Roku firmware, also added a nice feature that allows filtering the content by media type.

The changelist is:

Version 1.3
- Added media type filter during navigation
- Audio Player: Prevented the channel to crash if MP3 metadata is not available
- Fixed the Manifest to be compatible with the latest Roku firmware
marcelo.cabral

Postby randy1264 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:59 am

I checked this out last night.
I have all my movies in a folder named "Movies" with thumbnails. Nowhere Usb shows cover art fine. and movies play fine. All movies are MP4 and thumbnails are JPG.

1. On play USB the JPG is listed seperate from the MP4. It shows a generic thumbnail for both JPG and MP4.
2. if you select the jpg it will display and the slideshow will disply all jpg's.
3. An option to sort alphabetically would be awesome.

Just my views.

Randy
randy1264

Postby marcelo.cabral » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:50 pm

randy1264 wrote:I checked this out last night.
I have all my movies in a folder named "Movies" with thumbnails. Nowhere Usb shows cover art fine. and movies play fine. All movies are MP4 and thumbnails are JPG.

1. On play USB the JPG is listed seperate from the MP4. It shows a generic thumbnail for both JPG and MP4.
2. if you select the jpg it will display and the slideshow will disply all jpg's.
3. An option to sort alphabetically would be awesome.

Just my views.

Randy

I created a "special extension" to hide the thumbnails from the list, so if you rename the *.jpg to *.cvr it will work. If there is a "folder.cvr" file all files on the folder will share that thumbnail (good for tv shows).

The SDK do not provide this option, I would need to sort it manually, I'm not sure about the performance, when I have some time will try that and let you know.
marcelo.cabral

Postby wildwest » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:23 pm

I have been having problems with using the official USB channel with a particular movie that I have converted to work with it. The name of the .srt file the same as the movie, but it will not play the subtitles. I added your channel today, and tried to do the same without success. Movie plays fine, just no subs. Using Subtitle Edit v3.1. The movie plays fine in VLC with subs. I did not include the .srt file when encoding with Handbrake. Is this necessary?
wildwest

Postby RickRansom » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:49 pm

wildwest wrote:I did not include the .srt file when encoding with Handbrake. Is this necessary?

No, it shouldn't be. As long as the srt file has the same file name as the movie file except the extension[movie.mp4 and movie.srt] and both files are saved in the same folder it should work.
Retired
RickRansom

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion