Roku vs WD TV Live

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku vs WD TV Live

Postby castalla » Wed May 16, 2012 9:05 pm

I just bought a WD TV Live. I also have a Roku LT.

Some reflections:

Initial setup - the Roku is much easier to setup. The WD has more options, but is not user-friendly.

The overall Roku interface is 100% better,slicker and faster than the WD (which on first impressions looks better, but in practice is very clunky to use).

The default online services are similar - but the WD has much fewer options, but does offer Vudu. The ones I've looked at, Hulu Plus and Tunein, are similar in function - again, overall I'd choose the Roku over the WD. The latest WD firmware has a new option - Live TV - which curiously only contains SkitterTV which apparently is only available in Portland, Oregon.!!! That's definitely a plus - NOT!

The WD advantage: the WD has a clear advantage as a home network streamer - it can play a large variety of audio and video formats compared to the Roku. Another plus is that the WD is DNLA compatible.

For example, I have installed the Serviio server on my netbook - the WD can easily access the Serviio plugins - for example it can use the BBC iPlayer plugin, play live tv streams, etc. There are none of the issues I have encountered in trying to use Plex with Roku - broken plugins, poor performance, etc. And it doesn't need a massive PC to run Serviio.

The Roku advantage: the open nature of the Roku means that there are lots of developers creating wierd, wonderful and sometimes amazing apps! The WD is stuck in a corporate driven universe. You get what WD want to give you.

Finally, which box would I turn to first thing in the morning? For overall ease of use - it has to be the Roku!

The WD is good but just too complicated for everday use. I'll only use it as a backup system.
castalla

Re: Roku vs WD TV Live

Postby david0406 » Thu May 17, 2012 3:24 am

I agree with you in all respects. Now with this next comment I am sure I will reap the wrath of the "mad :x defenDORS of the Roku" . I think the video quality is better on the WD TV live. I'm just comparing Netflix to Netflix streams, SD and HD. That is just MY humble opinion and MINE alone. I still love my ROKU2 XD. It IS way more user friendly.
Last edited by david0406 on Thu May 17, 2012 4:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Roku N-1000
Roku HD 2000C
Roku LT
Roku 2 XD
Roku 3
Roku 3
david0406

Postby knuckle » Thu May 17, 2012 3:42 am

WHAT??!! Thems fightin words round these parts :P :)

If money wasn't an object I would like to get one of each of the "other guys" boxes and do an apples to apples comparison (something like what castalla did with the media players) I read up on all this stuff but I see a lot of spin (I guess even apple has fan boys) -- My first roku was a gift so I had never done any comparing before hand (I thought xbox and roku were the only ones that could stream till I came here).I would even try to leave my roku mania (it is a bit extreme) at the door and give it an honest look
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV
all running wireless on a actiontec C2000A
knuckle
** Valued Community Member **

Postby david0406 » Thu May 17, 2012 3:53 am

WHAT??!! Thems fightin words round these parts :shock: :lol:

My first Roku (I now have 3) was a gift also and would have never even thought of entertaining the idea of another media streamer in my house until I started having handshake problems with my ROKU2 that I never resolved either( I just established my own personal workaround) but that's ok. BANISH THE THOUGHT :mrgreen:. Just wait :lol:. I probably have awakened a sleeping giant :shock:. Rise up defenDORS
Roku N-1000
Roku HD 2000C
Roku LT
Roku 2 XD
Roku 3
Roku 3
david0406

Postby evyst1 » Thu May 17, 2012 4:28 am

Your missing one major point in your comparison.....WDTV Live has Spotify!
evyst1

Postby david0406 » Thu May 17, 2012 6:35 am

evyst1 wrote:Your missing one major point in your comparison.....WDTV Live has Spotify!

And Vudu . The OP does make mention of that though.
Roku N-1000
Roku HD 2000C
Roku LT
Roku 2 XD
Roku 3
Roku 3
david0406

Postby KennyJ » Thu May 17, 2012 9:02 am

evyst1 wrote:Your missing one major point in your comparison.....WDTV Live has Spotify!

I actually prefer Mog. :) I would like Vudu though.
KennyJ

Postby __5 » Thu May 17, 2012 4:11 pm

david0406 wrote:.......until I started having handshake problems with my ROKU2 that I never resolved either( I just established my own personal workaround) but that's ok. BANISH THE THOUGHT :mrgreen:. Just wait :lol:. I probably have awakened a sleeping giant :shock:. Rise up defenDORS

It sounds confusing, (the handshake issue) was it a receiver issue or a Roku2 issue???
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=49088&p=338154#p338154
__5
** Valued Community Member **

Postby david0406 » Thu May 17, 2012 5:25 pm

roku5 wrote:
david0406 wrote:.......until I started having handshake problems with my ROKU2 that I never resolved either( I just established my own personal workaround) but that's ok. BANISH THE THOUGHT :mrgreen:. Just wait :lol:. I probably have awakened a sleeping giant :shock:. Rise up defenDORS

It sounds confusing, (the handshake issue) was it a receiver issue or a Roku2 issue???
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=49088&p=338154#p338154

Never figured it out. It still does it. I just stream Netflix on my WD TV live and use the Roku2 for everything else.
Roku N-1000
Roku HD 2000C
Roku LT
Roku 2 XD
Roku 3
Roku 3
david0406

Postby lbphillips » Fri May 18, 2012 7:25 am

I actually have various devices capable of streaming :) bit of a collector.

Roku
WD Live
WD Live streaming
Apple TV 2
Apple TV 3

As well as PS3 / Xbox 360 and Wii.

So if anyone has any questions please ask :)

Day to day, on the main TV, I am actually using the ATV2 most. Watching mkv and avi via Plex (yes it's jailbroken) and UK Netflix. I also have many films in Apple format.

The WD Live streaming is used only when I want to watch a 1080P mkv or a 3D mkv rip - also on main TV. I much prefer the APTV interface.

I only use the PS3 on this main TV when I want to watch Netflix US (via a dns service)

My Roku is connected to a TV in my office and is used to keep the kids quiet with uk Netflix and BBC iplayer. The 360 is also on this TV, but that is mainly used for Games by my sons.

The Wii is in the kids play room, with the older WD Live. These are used often by the kids for Netflix UK ( Wii) and playing local rips (WD) and a bit of streaming (WD has a usb wifi stick and can see the network shares)
lbphillips

Postby castalla » Sat May 19, 2012 11:25 am

Ah-ha ... the WD TV scores a plus today:

Using Serviio we are now watching the Champions Cup on sky hd1 on the WD TV

Don't think that's possible on the Roku ....
castalla

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion