Free USTVNOW low quality email

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Free USTVNOW low quality email

Postby Junckboxx » Fri May 18, 2012 3:41 pm

I'm a non-payer, so I have to question this:

Has anyone else gotten an email like this one from USTVNOW?

NAME HERE,

We have enjoyed having the opportunity to bring you free USTV for the past two years and will continue to do so. However it is very costly for us to provide live TV for free to so many people around the world. To better control our costs, in a month from now, all of our free users will only be able to watch live and DVRd content only in low resolution. Only paying customers will have access to med and high resolution as well as vieweing on the Roku, iPhone, iPad and other mobile devices.

As you have been a loyal supporter of ours, we would like to make you a special offer. Upgrade by May 24th and you can get our full channel TV plan + our DVR free for life for only $24.95 ! Normally this plan costs $44 , so you are saving over $19 per month for as long as you use the service and you can cancel at any time.

To take advantage of this offer, just click here to log into your account, click upgrade/change plan and select the desired plan from the pull down menu.

he USTVNOW Team

Is it for real? Is it a scam to get us to pay them? I'm not sure what to think. The strange symbol makes me wonder, in the signature area.

It apparently came from " DAVE@USTVNOW ," but that could be spoofed.
Cut the US TV TAX... Stop Cable TV! The FCC doesn't need anymore of my monies! I don't need anymore watching restrictions/channels pulled, due to YOUR OWN money arguments with stations!
Junckboxx

Re: Free USTVNOW low quality email

Postby catastrophegirl » Fri May 18, 2012 3:51 pm

several of us got the same email and it's been mentioned over at viewtopic.php?f=28&t=36780&start=210
not going to pay for it myself but they make a valid point - they have a lot more free viewers since roku
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless
speed range from ~18-20mbps
http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/
twitter: catastrophegirl
PM or tweet me if you want a channel added to my list, a correction or to update a developers' credit
catastrophegirl
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Junckboxx » Fri May 18, 2012 4:02 pm

Well for the few stations you get and some other missing networks (ion, METV, RTV, QUBO, Antenna TV, etc. all available in Harrisburg/State College/Clearfield) and only the few cables they give you...

Add that onto the low quality (NTSC - Stretched out picture) for the high price they want...

It's not worth it for me either.

For Pete's sake, they don't even give you TV Land or Hallmark, the 2 channels I would pay highly for.

I'll wait till SkitterTv comes out in my area, then see how the quality is for $12.00, which is still a bargain compared to their $44.

Plus, if it's overseas, I don't want to even go into what could go wrong with CC numbers and paypal hackings. Too Steep for me. Four day old fish smells less fishy than that.

Also, I noticed someone had an address, mine didn't have it. and what's with the Chinese symbol?
Cut the US TV TAX... Stop Cable TV! The FCC doesn't need anymore of my monies! I don't need anymore watching restrictions/channels pulled, due to YOUR OWN money arguments with stations!
Junckboxx

Postby mikebdoss » Fri May 18, 2012 4:09 pm

USTV Now is super sketchy and likely not legal anyway. I wouldn't suggest ANYONE give them money, for any reason.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby herno74 » Fri May 18, 2012 5:29 pm

Well, they are offering a special rate right now up until May 24th for the DVR and all channels for only $24.95 a month (which is better than the All Channel plan OR the DVR plan). It's really not that bad of a deal considering. I've been impressed with the service, and they use a highly reputable payment provider with an excellent track record with the Better Business Bureau. Plus, I pay with Credit Card anyway, so no worries there. I've cancelled, then started again, then cancelled as I've needed it. I've been an off and on customer and it works just like they say. No contracts and you control the entire thing.

Just my experience. Whether it's legal or not, I really don't know. They are just one of many options offering a service that people can use or not use. They will be the ones responsible if it isn't, I'm just the customer.
herno74

Postby Lstevens » Fri May 18, 2012 11:09 pm

If you read the email carefully "....Only paying customers will have access to med and high resolution as well as vieweing on the Roku, iPhone, iPad and other mobile devices.", it sounds like ALL access via Roku will go away for free customers.
Lstevens

Postby Buckeye911 » Fri May 18, 2012 11:52 pm

I'm a paying customer and have not received an email. I've been paying $30/month for all the channels and DVR service. I was in Thailand the entire month of April and the service worked pretty well except that it did skip a couple of recordings and once recorded the wrong channel. I've been back home in Virginia for a couple of weeks and haven't gotten around to cancelling yet but I will get to it. I generally just subscribe to the pay service when I'm out of the country.
Buckeye911

Postby Junckboxx » Sat May 19, 2012 4:46 am

I'm a little concerned. To me, it looks like "do quickly and rashly" or get no viewing...period. Isn't that what supermarkets and superstores do in the cash register aisle? However, it's not as severe as "or don't get our service." I have found NO ACTUAL info on USTVNOW, BBB or otherwise.

BBB.org (USA's Better Business Bureau) search for the zip code on one of the emails I was able to view... zip code of 10001:

Your search for - "ustvnow" in "10001" - did not match any Business Names.

Suggestions:

Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
Try different name variations.
Request BBB develop a business review.

I've also tried a space:

Your search for - "ustv now" in "10001" - did not match any Business Names.

Suggestions:

Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
Try different name variations.
Request BBB develop a business review.

Now the company is invisible, except for what I saw on Yelp:

USTVNow

Category: Television Stations [Edit]
163 William St
(between Ann St & Beekman St)
New York, NY 10038
Neighborhood: Financial District
(212) 796-0982
http://ustvnow.com/

I'm not sure how old this info is.

Buyer Beware!

I think someone will take their place, if this goes missing from Roku. Even if its JTV, which is low quality.... or even skitter. Who knows if even Aero might succeed for Roku.... if it's legal. Point being... there are potential streamers out there for the MANY FREE TV Networks... even beyond the big 6 and PBS, that are free.

Due to all of these, I have no plans to pay them. I do not care how good they are to one person cancelling and starting. FREE TV for pay is way wrong... for several reasons.

In a sense I could almost understand the FREE Networks (CBS, ABC,NBC, FOX,CW (and CW Plus), MY NETWORK, ION, PBS, ANTENNA TV, RTV, METV, Live Well, CoolTV, Weather Plus, THIS TV, BounceTV and more) being only $3.00. But if we don't want their cable nets, WE SHOULDN'T HAVE TO PAY FOR THOSE.

My internet provider has LOCAL and adjacent Local stations for $13.00, get their box, they throw in a few channels, like WGN, TBS, TVL, DISC SCIENCE, Discovery, TLC, MTV or VH1 Classic, Family Net, Nick and Nick2, a few news stations, etc. Really, is $44.00.... Excuse me, $24.00 really a bargain? With streaming software out there, you can stream to devices, even an Archos device. Ive been able to stream to my Archos 705 for about 5 yrs now... free. Making even the discounted version of their (USTVNOW's) fee less of a bargain.

The Roku is simpler, allot more. Just plugin, get a connection, watch. Easier and foolproof. Other methods aren't. But who wants to pay for convenience. Someone will make network TV free, even illegally.

One last note: If they show a zip code of 10001, and they are in 10038, why not put the searchable zip code? Makes them look more dishonest and fishy.
Junckboxx

Postby JimDandySTX » Sat May 19, 2012 6:37 am

USTVNow is a service primarily for people living outside the 50 US States. If you are outside the USA you may not have access to many other sources of US TV programs without connecting using a VPN or otherwise changing your IP.

I have used USTVNow and found it worthwhile. Yes the picture quality could be better, but now that they are going to charge for the service perhaps they can increase their bandwidth and there will be fewer freeloaders so the remaining customers will have a better streaming experience.
JimDandySTX

Postby Buckeye911 » Sat May 19, 2012 9:22 am

JimDandySTX wrote:USTVNow is a service primarily for people living outside the 50 US States. If you are outside the USA you may not have access to many other sources of US TV programs without connecting using a VPN or otherwise changing your IP.

I have used USTVNow and found it worthwhile. Yes the picture quality could be better, but now that they are going to charge for the service perhaps they can increase their bandwidth and there will be fewer freeloaders so the remaining customers will have a better streaming experience.

I really hope so, 16x9 without stretching sure would be nice. When I'm abroad I usually have a 6-8mbps connection and I find the PQ of high resolution only slightly better than low resolution. I have used USTV Now in Thailand, Japan, and Canada.
Buckeye911

Postby Junckboxx » Sat May 19, 2012 1:49 pm

I have used USTVNow and found it worthwhile. Yes the picture quality could be better

Are you kidding me? You must be watching from their website, not on a Roku. The picture on my flat screen is poor quality. I imagine it would be worse on a 32" or larger. The picture is stretched out, very dark, over saturated, snowy (from being converted to NTSC from digital ATSC), the credits are cropped off, it's not actually "center cut" to actually be a 4x3 picture. FOX43 (WPYM Lancaster/Tribune stations... as in WGN and AntennaTV) would NEVER allow that quality. Their "bug" (semi ghosted logo in bottom right corner) is usually cut off too.

It also doesn't help that the original DTV signal is MPEG4, Cable converted to MPEG2, then re-converted a 3rd time to analog NTSC. This alone degrades the picture. That's partly why it looks so bad. Thats basic Video Broadcasting 101.

I wouldn't say that the picture quality COULD be better... but would easily say that it SHOULD be better.

perhaps they can increase their bandwidth and there will be fewer freeloaders so the remaining customers will have a better streaming experience.

I'm simply not asking for it to be free. I'm simply saying that if they offer the LOCALS from Harrisburg, Clearfield, State College.. that they could charge a minimal fee. Thus far they do not offer such an option. $3.00 is a good price for what little of the above mentioned networks and actual stations too, they give you. There are lots of those free networks and at least 2 stations missing. Currently this is not an option... but should be explored by USTVNOW. I say $3.00 for Roku is a value, more to be paid if they improve picture quality, length between timeouts too.

This does not include Spanish networks or religious ones.

If you are outside the USA you may not have access to many other sources of US TV programs without connecting using a VPN or otherwise changing your IP.

Not true. Roku users WITHIN the USA can view all channels... ABC27, CBS21, CW15, FOX43, WGAL 8, WPSU 3 and My WHVL 29. The Roku is supposed to be "plug and play" so you see the same channels, according to someone on a chat session at Roku. As long as you do not make any changes.
Junckboxx

Postby herno74 » Sat May 19, 2012 2:09 pm

While there may not be a Better Business Bureau listing for USTVNOW, if you will read my prior post, you will see that they use Authorize.net for handling their payment processing, which is rated A+ by the BBB.

http://www.bbb.org/utah/business-review ... ut-2009493

Plus, we all need to remember, USTVNOW is just an OPTION, just like anything else. If you can find a better deal, by all means go for it!!
herno74

Postby ehren88888 » Sat May 19, 2012 2:14 pm

I love that the networks are in the Phillies market so I can get games from FOX and the MyNetwork which simulcasts games from PHL-17 in Philly.
Roku2 2720x owner.
60meg down cable Internet 5mb up
Southern Wisconsin
PHILLIES PHANATIC!!!
ehren88888

Postby Junckboxx » Sat May 19, 2012 2:29 pm

herno74 wrote:While there may not be a Better Business Bureau listing for USTVNOW, if you will read my prior post, you will see that they use Authorize.net for handling their payment processing, which is rated A+ by the BBB.

http://www.bbb.org/utah/business-review ... ut-2009493

Plus, we all need to remember, USTVNOW is just an OPTION, just like anything else. If you can find a better deal, by all means go for it!!

First off: What gives someone an A+... that's sketchy by complaints made then settled and signed off on. This does not mean satisfaction or proper reparation. No matter what company names.

Secondly, if they or any involved company are customer driven, which I do not see reviews for them. Authorize.net has many "out of BBB" complaints posted on the internet. Very public, hardly sparkling.

Thirdly, I'm willing to bet if USTVNOW doesn't get it's act together, someone like Skitter, someone else illegal, or otherwise will take it's place on Roku. However, that's when the time comes.

I'm almost convinced you work for that agency. You keep going on and on about how good they are.... like a script. Remember, you are one of the few who are "satisfied." Many others seem to show the opposite.
Junckboxx

Postby Junckboxx » Sat May 19, 2012 2:34 pm

ehren88888 wrote:I love that the networks are in the Phillies market so I can get games from FOX and the MyNetwork which simulcasts games from PHL-17 in Philly.

And if it were a legal channel, just like cable.... one of the 2 would have been blacked out on the site and Roku, for legality reasons.
Junckboxx

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion