Plex Media Server stopped work

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Plex Media Server stopped work

Postby 2.4 » Sun May 20, 2012 3:55 pm

Hello,
I have problem with Plex Media Server when i trying watch Channels through it,
First i have installed Plex Media Server and Plex Media Center on my windows 7. the server works perfectly with my media (Video, Movies, Pic and iTunes) but when i try to watch channels through it such as (Aljazeera, National Geog, CTV ...) and during retrieving the server stopped working and this massage shown on my computer: A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available. After that i have to open the server again!!

any solution?

Re: Plex Media Server stopped work

Postby castalla » Sun May 20, 2012 4:05 pm

Welcome to the club ... Plex at the moment is a lost cause for watching any live channels.

And there isn't a solution!
castalla

Postby 2.4 » Sun May 20, 2012 4:31 pm

Thanks for welcoming and i hope they solve this problem.

Postby mommom » Mon May 21, 2012 12:06 am

Live channels don't want to work on my htpc either.It did better when I just used the server and deleted the client.I think it just doesnt like me for some reason,or maybe its the same problem I have when trying to use Linux,my old brain just isn't wired right .I will keep trying Plex as time goes on,in the hopes that it becomes so user friendly that I can use it like xbmc.Its got a ways to go for that.
mommom

Postby mommom » Wed May 23, 2012 2:53 pm

Back trying Plex again and for the life of me I cannot make this work.I install PMS on my pc,start tryinf to add movies.I tell it to add,it gives 1 choice of a path,all of "C" drive.I try it anyway,it gives me a choice of 1 folder,all of "C" drive.I try it anyway.Now I am waiting for the scanning of all of "C" to finish,while it adds all files on the drive as though they are movies,just so I can uninstall this garbage 1 more time.Before I thought I had problems with where I kept my files or naming issues,pretty sure that is not the case here since it thinks files such as drivers,etc are movie files?
Also,several ghost shows appeared when I installed,some documentary titles that do not appear anywhere on my pc and do not play at all. Why is this so difficult?I had big plans because I found a way to integrate xbmc with Plex called Plexbmc and wanted to give it a try. I guess I could reinstall and manually add the path for each folder and not let it scan,but why must I do that?Why do so many questions on the Plex forum go unanswered?Do Plex users have to be more proficient than average users?I have considered myself to be a bit above average with Windows,but I feel like a a baby with Plex.instructions are on the lines of "Download it,install it click on the icon(never mind that it doesn't show up for a lot of people) add your files.A few of the users make an effort to answer a few questions as to how to add the files,what to click first,what browser works best etc.One problem I had was DH set IE as default browser and Plex used it,I set it back to Chrome.But this is not user friendly to average users at this point.Xbmc I add sources by clicking on add sources,a list of possibles comes up,I click user,a list possibles comes up and I click on the folder I want to add and click ok.piece of cake,works everytime.I expected Plex to be this easy.Sadly,its not.Plus,xbmc has detailed instructions,screenshots,develpers answering questions along with a huge community of users who seem to be happy to answer questions.Maybe this software is just not ready for primetime,or maybe I am clueless.Either way it is nothing but hours of frustration every time I try it again.Maybe its W7 64Bit,maybe its AMD processor,maybe its just it hates old ladies,but as I sit here checking back on the progress of the scan it is scanningng files for House episodes that do not exist on my pc.Sorry about the rant.I guess I needed that!! :oops: Thanfully no grandkids today.
mommom

Postby scyber » Wed May 23, 2012 4:45 pm

mommom wrote:Back trying Plex again and for the life of me I cannot make this work.I install PMS on my pc,start tryinf to add movies.I tell it to add,it gives 1 choice of a path,all of "C" drive.I try it anyway,it gives me a choice of 1 folder,all of "C" drive.I try it anyway.Now I am waiting for the scanning of all of "C" to finish,while it adds all files on the drive as though they are movies,just so I can uninstall this garbage 1 more time.Before I thought I had problems with where I kept my files or naming issues,pretty sure that is not the case here since it thinks files such as drivers,etc are movie files?

Did you click the triangle next to the "C:"? It should drill down and show you a list of folders in the C drive (all with triangles that will allow you to drill down further). I think the triangle is more of an OSX thing (+ is probably more common on windows), but it isn't uncommon for drill downs on computers.

If you scan you entire C drive you will see incorrect matches b/c some of the system and/or other files will probably match some sort of naming rule.
scyber

Postby scyber » Wed May 23, 2012 5:54 pm

Also, the Plex wiki has pretty detailed instructions (w/ screenshots). Here is the page on configuring media manager:

http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/PlexN ... diaManager
scyber

Postby mommom » Wed May 23, 2012 9:02 pm

scyber wrote:
mommom wrote:Back trying Plex again and for the life of me I cannot make this work.I install PMS on my pc,start tryinf to add movies.I tell it to add,it gives 1 choice of a path,all of "C" drive.I try it anyway,it gives me a choice of 1 folder,all of "C" drive.I try it anyway.Now I am waiting for the scanning of all of "C" to finish,while it adds all files on the drive as though they are movies,just so I can uninstall this garbage 1 more time.Before I thought I had problems with where I kept my files or naming issues,pretty sure that is not the case here since it thinks files such as drivers,etc are movie files?

Did you click the triangle next to the "C:"? It should drill down and show you a list of folders in the C drive (all with triangles that will allow you to drill down further). I think the triangle is more of an OSX thing (+ is probably more common on windows), but it isn't uncommon for drill downs on computers.

If you scan you entire C drive you will see incorrect matches b/c some of the system and/or other files will probably match some sort of naming rule.

Nothing was next to the "C" It took closing and opening Plex at least 10 times,and a reboot,to get any buttons to work at all.I see this complaint multiple times on the Plex forums,so that is not just me.The wiki would probably be helpful if the buttons and menus actually appeared.I have uninstalled Plex,I have run CCleaner,backed up files,and am getting ready to try again.Wish me luck.

I still cannot figure out where the ghost files came from.
mommom

Postby mommom » Wed May 23, 2012 9:10 pm

Looking promising!! Before I did anything I checked the registry for leftover files from past trial installations and deleted all of them-now I for the first time have an icon for Plex in the tray!!
mommom

Postby mommom » Wed May 23, 2012 9:49 pm

So there were ghost files again,under tv,of shows I have never seen.To get rid of them,I removed the entire section, the buttons are working this time,just kind of laggy.I was able to add sections.But it could not find any videos.Not under tv,home movies even though I made a file specifically for that and dropped in a web video.So I have removed the sections again and will try again. I click on movies so I can add the section a box opens I click add. select a path has only "C",I click the triangle that is there now.The only choice I am given related to movies is "MYVIDEOS" so I select it and click "select folder".It brings up a blue folder that says C/MYVIDEOS so I click "add section".
No movies are found.Maybe I named them wrong.Back to my files,open up movies,choose one at random-City of Ember- delete the name and type City of Ember (2008) .avi.I go back and add Movies section again-still no movies.I should at least have this one,even if the other hundreds are all incorrect,right?Now I am thinking maybe my method of keeping my movie folders in "downloads" and sharing with "Videos" may be the problem,so I make a new folder in MyVideos,name it movies,and put a copy of City of Ember in it.Remove section,re add section still no movie. Time to give up again.
mommom

Postby mommom » Wed May 23, 2012 9:57 pm

Just want to add that in xbmc I could name my folder "garbage in garbage out" or whatever and it will find it.I could name City of Ember "Burning City"and it will find it.It would prompt me to correct the name of the movie by bringing up an onscreen keyboard,so that I would know it was wrong.And it would not need .avi, .mkv, .iso, .mp4 or whatever at all.So much easier.Heck some of my movies names are in the format of city. of. ember. with no dates and I still get all of the metadata with xbmc.Why must Plex be OCD ?
mommom

Postby hozedhead » Thu May 24, 2012 6:57 am

@mommom, you are really complaining in the wrong place. If you are having trouble setting up the server, you should post in the Plex forum for whatever OS version of PMS you are trying to set up. Your problems seem to have nothing to do with Roku or the Plex Roku channel.

Also, Plex is not XBMC, so the comparisons seem pointless to me. Does XBMC have a Roku client that I don't know about?
Roku HD N1000 Serial #20G984014682 Software V. 3.1 Build 1167
hozedhead

Postby mommom » Thu May 24, 2012 8:36 am

hozedhead wrote:@mommom, you are really complaining in the wrong place. If you are having trouble setting up the server, you should post in the Plex forum for whatever OS version of PMS you are trying to set up. Your problems seem to have nothing to do with Roku or the Plex Roku channel.

Also, Plex is not XBMC, so the comparisons seem pointless to me. Does XBMC have a Roku client that I don't know about?

There is not a lot of help on their forums.Questions get ignored for weeks or never answered,people get told not to clutter up the forums with questions.Those who do answer questions are obviously IT professionals and don't understand that the majority of people are not.People here are generally more helpful.

I guess you missed where I said that I found that I could use an addon called Plexbmc to sort of combine the 2 and maybe get the best of both :D .This is why I am trying to get this to work.My problems with the Roku Plex channel were not worth mentioning until I actually got PMS to work,after I got my movies added if it was still unable to find my Roku then it would have been pertinent.I had thought that there were others out there who had fallen into some of the same holes while trying to make it work who maybe were not speaking up because they thought they were the only ones having these problems.Things like phantom movies ,buttons that don't work.I did have some success with removing files before installing.
But don't worry.I give up.I won't be posting on it again.
mommom

Postby castalla » Thu May 24, 2012 9:47 am

I sympathise with you .... Plex is a PITA. I've experienced the same as you ... unanswered questions, threads which lead nowhere, etc. Endless requests for logs, which then are ignored.

You haven't even tried using the plugins, I believe. Save yourself the trouble - most either don't work, or are so flaky they are unwatchable (eg. Aljazeera Live - jerky video and out of sync audio).

It's simpler to just convert your videos to mp4 and use something like Roksbox or MyMedia to play them.

Plex is a good idea but a long way from everyday user deployment! As you say - xbmc is a cinch to set up and get running by comparison!

And it's easy to mention the 2 in one breath because Plex is a spinoff from XBMC!
castalla

Postby hozedhead » Fri May 25, 2012 12:11 am

No worries here. The only other route for support I might suggest is Campfire. It might be worth a shot.

As for me, setting up and using PMS has very rarely been difficult or problematic, and there is a picture of me in the dictionary next to the word novice. The channel plug-ins are generally a waste of time, at least for me. Plex works great for streaming videos that are otherwise incompatible with my Roku.

And it's easy to mention the 2 in one breath because Plex is a spinoff from XBMC!

Spinoff or not, they are two seperate entities and I fail to see the need to compare them here. I agree with freedom of speech and all, but hijacking a thread to post off-topic complaints seems counterproductive to me. I haven't heard of anyone using PlexBMC or XBMC with their Roku.
Roku HD N1000 Serial #20G984014682 Software V. 3.1 Build 1167
hozedhead

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion