How do you search the channel store?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

How do you search the channel store?

Postby oaomcg » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:07 pm

Am i missing something? Why don't I see any way to search the channel store on my Roku or on the website?

Also how do I add channels from the website? All I see is the name and the description with no option to add it to my device?
oaomcg

Re: How do you search the channel store?

Postby knuckle » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:59 am

Hi oaomcg ---------------

if you go to the channel store on your roku the top row are the channels you have installed and below that are the rest of the available channels (you should see them categorized and there should be a lot of them) to add a channel just highlight and click ok .If you don't see row upon row of choices post back,you may have a problem.

to add a private channel (those channels not in the channel store) from your computer go to https://owner.roku.com/Add and enter the code or (and this is one of the best sites of its kind) go to http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/ you will find channels categorized with add links and descriptions (she really does a awesome job) you must be signed into your roku account to add a channel.

happy streaming
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
all running wireless on a Netgear WNR 1000
knuckle
** Valued Community Member **

Postby DBDukes » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:17 am

If you want to key in a search term and see what channels meet that search criteria, then I think you're out of luck.

However, you can sort of search for channels by going to the Roku Website, then clicking What's On, then click All Channels.

From there, you can use the Find capability of your browser (usually CTRL-F) and type in the term.

Note that this will be an exact search only. Also, it is only as up-to-date as the Website. I suspect that channels are added to the store before they're listed on the Website, and if so, I don't know how much of a delay there might be.
DBDukes
Roku 3, Roku 2 XS, Roku XD
DBDukes

Postby oaomcg » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:03 pm

it blows my mind that there isn't a search...
oaomcg

Postby socantra » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:08 pm

oaomcg wrote:it blows my mind that there isn't a search...

Ineresting. You're one of the few I've seen complain about it. Not a bad idea, but it doesn't seem to have been a major concern. :shock:
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra

Postby mikebdoss » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:32 pm

socantra wrote:

Ineresting. You're one of the few I've seen complain about it. Not a bad idea, but it doesn't seem to have been a major concern. :shock:

Up until very recently, there haven't been enough channels to really justify a search (especially since entering text on the Roku is annoying). I've never found the categories in the channel store to be so extensive that I can't dig through them easily, so the lack of search hasn't been a problem.

I do agree that it would be nice to be able to use the website to click and add channels to our accounts, but that hasn't happened yet.
mikebdoss

Postby catastrophegirl » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:54 pm

i see people asking on twitter and facebook for a way to search the channel store all the time. it's one of the things that inspired me to move my list from a static word document to a filterable, searchable list last fall. it's definitely getting to be enough channels in the channel store that being able to search by name would be useful when people are seeking something specific
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless
speed range from ~18-20mbps
http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/
twitter: catastrophegirl
PM or tweet me if you want a channel added to my list, a correction or to update a developers' credit
catastrophegirl

Postby RokuShawnS » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:24 pm

I'll add this to my weekly report as a feature request. It's definitely worth looking at. No guarantees it'll happen though.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby castalla » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:32 am

Zero priority for me - I'd rather time was spent on implementing a software/remote MUTE feature. or some way of equalising volume level across channels!!!!
castalla

Postby kc8pql » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:59 am

castalla wrote:Zero priority for me - I'd rather time was spent on implementing a software/remote MUTE feature. or some way of equalising volume level across channels!!!!

I don't think that's possible. The box doesn't have an amp. I believe it just passes through the line level from the source like a DVD player.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby tensen » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:50 am

socantra wrote:

Nah, I put in a feature request for it a while ago. And an alphabetical sort.
It was more of a concern to me when I had a Roku 1, but would still be useful.
tensen

Postby gonzotek » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:51 am

I think Searching/Filtering/Sorting channel store entries would be an immense improvement for those users frequently looking for new channels & especially the 3rd party developers that bring so much value to the Roku platform. I was hoping it was already possible on the Roku Remote app for iphone/android, but while it can filter apps by cost (paid vs. free), there are no further ways to narrow a given genre list(e.g. 'News & Weather') such as a search function or sorting options.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
gonzotek

Postby Schmye Bubbula » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:43 am

I found Google "site searches" at least partially useful, e.g.,...

Code: Select all
"angry birds" site:http://www.roku.com/roku-channel-store

(Putting your search term within quotation marks forces Google to treat it as a phrase.)
– –
first-generation Roku XD|S (2100X), composite connection to old 4:3 CRT SDTV
Schmye Bubbula

Postby mikebdoss » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:47 am

Schmye Bubbula wrote:I found Google "site searches" at least partially useful, e.g.,...

Code: Select all
"angry birds" site:http://www.roku.com/roku-channel-store

(Putting your search term within quotation marks forces Google to treat it as a phrase.)

That searches the website, but it doesn't let you search the channel store on the Roku.
mikebdoss

Postby mommom » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:19 am

I usually use the website http://streamfree.tv/apps/ which is searchable because my laptop is usually open while I watch tv.You can add channels from there.
mommom

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion