DLNA support?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

DLNA support?

Postby castalla » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:23 pm

I have a WD TV Live box - this can access a Serviio upnp/dlna server & allows me to play live tv streams.

Could something similar be developed for the Roku?

ps: forget Plex - t won't run smoothly on a netbook, while Serviio has no problems.
castalla

Re: DLNA support?

Postby Gilgamesh » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:48 pm

Roku is NOT DLNA compliant. Also Roku is NOT designed for streaming local content even though some developers have developed some fairly clever channels that do local streaming it is not what Roku was designed for.

This has been discussed ad nauseum in these forums and Roku has said that DLNA is not a feature they plan to add, but you never know.

For me I do NOT want DLNA compliance for my Roku. I have other devices that do DLNA but I very rarely have a need for them and I would rather Roku spent time on features and functions that there is really a need for or would make the box better at what it is designed for.
Gilgamesh

Postby castalla » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:59 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:Roku is NOT DLNA compliant. Also Roku is NOT designed for streaming local content even though some developers have developed some fairly clever channels that do local streaming it is not what Roku was designed for.

This has been discussed ad nauseum in these forums and Roku has said that DLNA is not a feature they plan to add, but you never know.

For me I do NOT want DLNA compliance for my Roku. I have other devices that do DLNA but I very rarely have a need for them and I would rather Roku spent time on features and functions that there is really a need for or would make the box better at what it is designed for.

I couldn't agree more if you are referring to the ability to play LIVE tv streams - I suspect this is a feature that many users would really appreciate. The recent cries of woe and despair at the recent loss of some live UK channels supports my assertion.

I wouldn't say I don't want a specific feature which adds versatility to the device - the more features, the better!
castalla

Postby RokuShawnS » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:05 pm

The last time I asked about this (which is admittedly a long while ago), the answer was we have no plans to support it. Roku is primarily an Internet streaming device, not a local playback channel. Our primary focus is and most likely always will be streaming Internet content. That doesn't mean it won't eventually happen, but we're not going to spend time and resources on it in the foreseeable future.

Besides, the current private channels that allow local streaming already fill most of the gap, making it even more less likely that we'd focus on that in the near future.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby castalla » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:19 pm

But ... if you had dlna support, then it would be possible to provide additional INTERNET streaming support using a feature such as Serviio.

A key feature of any device is some degree of redundancy - if one particular feature fails, then an alternative is a big plus. Of course, I'd prefer to just simply press a couple of buttons, and get the service I want. But when that fails, then I'd like an alternative, even if it requires a bit more configuration.

As I said, Plex is too hardware greedy - Serviio runs on a simple basic netbook without any real problems.
castalla

Postby hozedhead » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:28 am

You can access a Serviio server with the NokNok beta channel. That said, I have no clue whether it's available outside the US, or whether its developers have abandoned it, or whether the functionality you desire will work with it.
Roku HD N1000 Serial #20G984014682 Software V. 3.1 Build 1167
hozedhead

Postby castalla » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:44 am

NokNok looks abandoned to me .... or is it?

I found a ref. to noknokDLNA but that just gets 'not available' in your region.

Why doesn't Roku just add dlna ... and avoid all this skullduggery nonsense !!!
castalla

Postby DBDukes » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:31 am

Has anyone checked the pulse on this horse yet?
DBDukes
Roku 3, Roku 2 XS, Roku XD
DBDukes

Postby Arwen » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:23 am

The DLNA standard is screwy from what I can tell.

For example, a non-portable box needs MPEG2 video and LPCM audio decoding.
But portable devices need MPEG4 video and MP3 audio decoding.

With the Roku having paid for the MPEG4 and MP3 licenses, (if any), it seems silly
to have to pay for older technology like MPEG2 and LPCM, (CD-ROM audio). Yet, I
doubt any sane person would consider their Roku Internet Streaming Media Player
to be a portable device.

Note that when I say "need" I MEAN IT. The DLNA standard REQUIRES such
boxes to support those as a minimum. Otherwise, it's not DLNA complient.

Now do a lot of DLNA player boxes add extra things to decode?
Of course. I would suspect higher end DLNA player boxes to include both MPEG2
and MPEG4 video, as well as LPCM and MPEG3 audio. Plus more.

So in my humble opinion, people need to understand what DLNA is and how it
works before thinking it will solve all thier problems.
Arwen Evenstar
Middle Earth
Arwen

Postby gonzotek » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:09 am

trekkeriii wrote:Good post, I never really read the DLNA compliant rules. I just knew Roku didn't support everything that is needed for it, mostly because of format licensing and hardware limitations. Insane that pretty much DVD and CD based formats have to be supported to be DLNA compliant. Ironic that MPEG2 and LPCM are very high bitrates and require insane bandwidth (gigabit) to work properly. I much prefer my videos in the X264 format with AC3/DTS and in MKV containers. My BluRay supports that.
It was mostly spec-ed out(first release of the guidelines in 2004) and even had a lot of implementations(dlna-compliant devices) before the rise to mass popularity of those formats.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **

Postby gamma1148 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:16 am

OK this argument is stupid. People want dlna support native. I can buy a blue ray player with Netflix and dlna support as well as several other providers for the same price as a roku. Saying you don't want to support it because it is too expensive to buy the license doesn't make sense in a competitive market . I'm going shopping today for a better device that does what I want it to do. Say hi to the dodo for me.
gamma1148

Postby scyber » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:13 am

gamma1148 wrote:OK this argument is stupid. People want dlna support native. I can buy a blue ray player with Netflix and dlna support as well as several other providers for the same price as a roku. Saying you don't want to support it because it is too expensive to buy the license doesn't make sense in a competitive market . I'm going shopping today for a better device that does what I want it to do. Say hi to the dodo for me.

Roku never said they didn't want to pay for the licensing. That was a forum user making that statement. Roku has never officially said anything about licensing being the issue with support DLNA. The only "official" reason we have for lack of DLNA is that roku is an internet streaming device and they are focused on that market, not the local network streaming market.
scyber

Postby kc8pql » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:09 am

scyber wrote: The only "official" reason we have for lack of DLNA is that roku is an internet streaming device and they are focused on that market, not the local network streaming market.

+1 Everything else is just speculation.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby dwanthny » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:24 pm

gamma1148 wrote:OK this argument is stupid.

Responding to a thread that has been inactive for 5 months isn't too bright either.
:idea: 20GB of Free CLOUD STORAGE: For a limited time you can use this link https://copy.com?r=lB3oTH to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
dwanthny

Postby RickRansom » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:38 pm

gamma1148 wrote:I'm going shopping today for a better device that does what I want it to do. Say hi to the dodo for me.

I wish you the best and hope you find a device that will match your needs. Not everyone needs a Roku. Then again, I don't need an AppleTV either. DLNA can be pretty useful, yes - but just because an INTERNET STREAMING DEVICE doesn't offer it doesn't mean it's "unreasonable" or "doesn't make sense".

As someone[some poeple] has[have] already mentioned, Plex can easily get around this and it can even support a broad list of media formats. Only thing is you need a PC to run the server[or get a NAS that can run the package natively]. If you don't see yourself making full use of what the Roku has to offer or that it can not offer what you need then you have already made a wise decision to do some research to know if the said product will actually work for you. If and when I find the perfect device to do what I want[roku or not], I'll make sure to tell my friends all about it. Until then, to each his own.
Retired
RickRansom

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion