"Old" TV and "Old" Roku via component

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

"Old" TV and "Old" Roku via component

Postby Raivyn » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:42 pm

First post - thanks in advance for your help!! I did a search on the forum, so if I missed the solution, please provide a link to the post.

I picked up a used 2004 Viewsonic N1300 LCD TV and am trying to hook up my Roku N1000 to it. I figured old tv + old Roku = no problem, right?

I can't seem to get it to work via the component cables. Via composite cables it works. But with the component cables, I get the Roku start up screen, but then the screen turns blue and starts to scroll to the side and I can't make out anything. Its weird that the start up screen works, but then the image is all messed up.

I tried my cable box to the TV via component, and it works fine. I also tried the Roku to another TV via component and that's fine, too.

From what I can find, this TV supports 480p, but I can't tell if that's via component. I changed the aspect ratio of the Roku to be 4:3, and even did a factory reset on it.

Am I missing something? I don't understand why when using the component connection I would get the Roku start up screen and then after it finishes booting up the image starts to scroll, change color, and then is completely a mess.

For my purposes I could get by with the composite connections, but I'd like to get the best possible resolution on my TV as possible.

Thank you much!
Raivyn

Re: "Old" TV and "Old" Roku via component

Postby Raivyn » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:09 pm

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll give S-video a try. Of course I can't find my s-video cable so I'll have to run out and buy one. :p

If the picture quality is better, then it would certainly be worth it.
Raivyn

Postby Mark12547 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:04 pm

If I recall correctly, the component video will display 480i (interlaced) while booting up and, once the Roku is booted up, will display 480p (progressive). My old TV (now defunct) could handle standard TV signal (480i), but would display squiggled lines near the center of the screen when the Roku switched to 480p on the component cables.

Both composite and S-Video worked fine, since both are 480i. In my case, I found out that my DVD player could use the component cables to feed that TV since that DVD player would, by default, put out a 480i signal on its component output; and I used S-Video or composite for the Roku connection to the TV.

So I suspect your old TV can handle 480i just fine (since the over-the-air TV is also 480i but, like my old TV, your old TV doesn't know how to handle the 480p that the old Roku boxes would put out once the Roku has finished booting.

When I finally replaced that old TV with a new HDTV in November of 2009, I was pleasantly surprised on how easy I could change the connection from the Roku box to the HDMI cable and tell the box my display is now HDTV, no problems (other than having to buy a HDMI cable), and even now I still use that "Netflix Player" that I purchased in May 2008, now on its second power supply. (Yes, I still have the invoice and it calls my Roku N1000 box a "Netflix Player".) It even feeds the TV through the HDMI cable at 720p and even the majority of standard def TV show streams look great on my HDTV. (And it took me several months before I discovered I just had to press a little "progressive" button on the front of the DVD player and the component output would be 480p, producing a much better image on the HDTV when I played DVDs.)
Mark12547

Postby Raivyn » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:13 pm

So I'm confused...so the Roku starts up in 480i then switches to 480p?

Does the S-video connection output in 480i or 480p?

If the S-video output is in 480i, then what benefit does it have over using the composite cables?

My TV claims to have max resolution of 480p, and I thought that by using the component connection, I would be able to get 480p output from my Roku. I've been able to use my cable box with the component connection on this TV, and I have HD service so I don't believe there is a problem with the TV's component connection. I still don't understand why, when using the component connection, I'm unable to get my Roku to work with my TV.

Thanks again!
Raivyn

Postby Mark12547 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:27 pm

The old Roku would:

• Composite output: always output 480i (your TV should be able to handle this)
  • S-Video output: always output 480i (your TV should be able to handle this)
  • Component output: boot using 480i and switch to 480p for displaying main menu (problem for your TV)
  • HDMI output with Display defined as HDTV: boot using 480 and switch to 720p (but your TV doesn't have HDMI input)

Does that help?

I couldn't see the difference between composite and S-Video. It appears that there is a luma (Y) channel and a chroma (C) channel on the S-Video cable, which should produce better color output than composite, but not quite as good as component. Component can also be driven at higher rates than either composite or S-Video, but that doesn't help if the TV doesn't know how to handle the higher video modes.
Mark12547

Postby microlady » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:17 am

Speaking of "old", I have a setup that sends the Roku to either my 1995 RCA CRT TV or to my Viewsonic LCD TV. In both cases from the Roku N1000, I use S-Video for video and the red and white RCA audio cables for audio. Composite video(Yellow) also works but I always have read that S-Video has a better picture so I set it up this way. Roku works fine on either TV.

I never tried the N1000 Component and wonder if anyone here that has the old Roku has tried it from the component output.

I don't know if it is relative to anything but I do know that after the Roku 1, at some point the low end box did not have the component anymore, then at some point a box came out again with the component output; HOWEVER, this box did not use the normal component cables...you had to order a special component cable from Roku to use that component connection and it was a single plug cable as opposed to the normal 3 plug component cable. Now I don't know if by doing this, Roku has changed something in its software to handle their new component cable and by doing so, has made the original (and normally used) component cable obsolete. Especially since a poster here has mentioned that for some reason Roku switches over from 480I to 480p on the component output and maybe that is why you are getting such a weird result.

If I were you, I would get an S-Video cable and use the RCA for audio especially as someone here did mention you don't have the HDMI choice for your TV. I have no problem with this picture quality.

If someone here with the old box is using the component output okay...hopefully they will see this topic and share that info with us. Or let us know the original component on the N1000 is no longer supported by Roku.
Original Roku 1, called N1000,bought 2008 (2014 still works perfectly)
2014 new owner of Roku 3500 (HDMI) streaming stick
microlady

Postby kc8pql » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:24 am

I ran my N1000 on component for a while. Worked fine. My brother in law has it at the moment (and is using component successfully for 720p) so I can't check, but I seem to remember that you need to go to settings and choose SD, which would be 480i/480p, or HD which would be 720p. If I"m correct, that could be the OP's problem.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Mark12547 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:52 am

microlady wrote:I never tried the N1000 Component and wonder if anyone here that has the old Roku has tried it from the component output.

I have an old Roku (purchased in May 2008 when it was called "Netflix Player") and when I first hooked it up to my old TV I tried component. The bootup screen was clearly visible, but once it finished booting the TV would display colored squiggly lines centered and running roughly halfway across the screen and about half an inch up and down from the center of the screen.

It was at that time that did some digging in this forum and saw that the component output is interlaced during bootup and switches to progressive once fully booted. I dug out the TV manual and saw that the TV handles only interlaced, no matter what inputs one was using.

When I replaced that TV with a HDTV, I never retried the component with the HDTV; that night I used composite video and the next day I purchased a HDMI cable, changed the "Display" setting on the Roku to HDTV, and the day after was when Netflix had its promotion of streaming "The Wizard of Oz" for free (i.e., free even to non-members).

If you really are interested, I could try the component cables from the Roku Netflix Player to my HDTV. However, when I hit Info on the HDTV remote, the TV doesn't tell me that the signal is progressive vs. interlaced, just that it's 480. (My old DVD player has a button to switch its component output from 480i to 480p, and it is feeding the TV through the component cables, so I know the on-screen Info doesn't show i vs. p.)
Mark12547

Postby Raivyn » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:00 am

I have the special component cable for my Roku XD/S, which will NOT work on the N1000. It is a single plug on the XD/S (looks almost like an microphone jack) that splits into the component cables to your TV.

The N1000 has the standard component output jacks, and I have successfully used the component outputs on my unit to one of my TVs with no problem at 720p. I just haven't been able to use it at 480p with this particular TV. :(

I did reset the settings on my N1000 to 4:3, and even did a factory reset, which my understanding makes it native 480i. Still no luck getting it to work via component on my TV at 480p.

Have other folks been able to run 480p via component? Maybe that just doesn't work?
Raivyn

Postby Raivyn » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:04 am

According to my TV specs, it says it does both 480i and 480p, and I was able to watch HD shows with my cable box via component.
Raivyn

Postby microlady » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:03 pm

I tried researching your TV using Google. Here is the manual for it if you don't have one:

http://www.warrantylife.com/product_fil ... 241570.pdf

I downloaded it and saw that you have a 13" LCD TV with a NTSC analog tuner. From what I could tell, it does not have HD capability. So it seems your best bet is the S-Video with RCA audio plugs. As far as using component, the manual says the input is Ycbcr and to use the Option Menu to show that as the input source. Says tint/sharpness are not available in component. I believe I read where someone did have this tv and said they got a 480i signal okay. Can't find it does anything else.

You should get a good picture using the S-Video and RCA audio plugs. The main thing is right now to be able to get the Roku working so you can enjoy it.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by microlady on Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
microlady

Postby microlady » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:18 pm

My RCA CRT is also a 27" and I also prefer S-Video vs composite. I am using only the S-Video on both TVs cause I have a 6-way Video Control set up among two TVs, a VCR, a DVD player, and, of course, the Roku. I think you will do just fine using S-Video from the Roku to your TV.
microlady

Postby Raivyn » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:36 pm

Thanks for the info....I'll pick up an s-video cable today and start using that.

I'm still confused as to why my cable box will work via component on the HD channels but the Roku will not. Is my cable box giving me a 480p signal via component (and how can I tell?) I am able to select the component input, so that isn't the problem.

My understanding from the specs is that the TV will do 480p, which I imagine would be via the component input. And I know the component input works since I was able to get my cable box and the HD channels through that connection.

I just don't understand why the Roku won't do 480p via component, and it seems the best I can get is 480i even though my TV supports 480p.
Raivyn

Postby Mark12547 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:13 pm

If you know your TV can do 480p, you might use composite or S-Video connection, boot up the Roku box, go into the "Settings" submenu, move over to the "Display type" and make sure it is set to "4:3 standard". If it is set to HDTV, the Roku will try to drive the component connections at 720p.
Mark12547

Postby Raivyn » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:14 am

Yeah, I'm thinking my TV doesn't like this Roku. I just tried using the S-video input and THAT doesn't work! I'm using the composite cable that came with my XD/S, and that is the only cable that works between this particular TV and this particular Roku.

I'm going to try my XD/S via component on the little TV. If that doesn't work, then I think I'm done with trying to get the Roku to work via component with this little TV. With composite, it suffices for what I need it for, but it is disappointing because it feels like neither device is working at its optimal performance capability.

At the end of the day, I paid $30 for the Roku and $30 for the TV, both off of Craigslist, so I paid a total of 60 to be able to stream shows and music into my son's room. It's still a win.
Raivyn

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion