Can't log into Netflix

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Can't log into Netflix

Postby stevewright » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:26 pm

I just got a new Roku HD player, and had no problem activating it and connecting to the Internet.

However, I am unable to log into Netflix. When I try to log in, I simply get a screen saying I can't be signed in and I must have typed my Netflix email address and/or password incorrectly. But ... I'm absolutely positive I've typed them correctly. I've verified the information by logging into the Netflix website with no problem. However, after at least two dozen attempts, I can't get logged into Netflix on Roku.

My Netflix email and password are perfectly straightforward with no unusual characters that I might be typing wrong.

I've tried doing the factory reset and the hard reset. That didn't help.

I've checked this board and there are some old posts advising people who have this problem to use the "activation code" method instead. That option apparently doesn't exist anymore. The only way to log in is with email and password.

Any suggestions? Is my Roku defective?
Last edited by stevewright on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
stevewright

Re: Can't log into Netflix

Postby RokuShawnS » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:34 pm

If you contact Netflix support directly, they'll be able to get it activated. If that ultimately does not work, I can get you in contact with Roku CS to try and help as well.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby RickRansom » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:32 am

I once gave my aunt a roku for christmas to she could get netflix since she's a movie fanatic. Since she already had a netflix account, we tried to sign in on the roku using her account > didn't work. We tried other channels and they had no problem. So we were thinking this was a netflix problem. Just to make sure, I tried to sign in using my NF account. Lo and behold, it worked. We signed in to her NF account and discovered that she was subscribed to the "DVD ONLY" package. We had it changed to something that has unlimited streaming(unlimited streaming+1dvd out at a time) but it didn't work right away. After watching a movie on my account for an hour or so we tried to sign in to NF using her account this time and it worked fine. My aunt's experience may or may not be what you're facing right now, but I just wanted to throw this one out.
Everyone is a genius.
But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

-A Einstein
RickRansom

Postby vspoils » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:36 pm

this is a CONSTANT occurrence for me lately. I have a hard time distinguishing whether the problem is ROKU or Netflix. I lean towards Netflix since I can get Amazon films treaming and other channels without any hiccups. Weird though, I start using Netflix, I then someteimes I get booted out. Keep in mind my ROKU wireless box is about 15 feet from my AT&T U-Verse NID. So Netflix tells me it can't connect to the Internet, so I go back through the wireless set up routine and ROKU can't log in to the local network. HOWEVER, I found that I can back out of there without completing through the wireless set up/login routine and go straight to Amazon and start streaming their videos. So, ah ha! I am already logged in so where is the problem? Netflix, Roku? WTH? Watch out Netflix, you're getting complacent. Roku too?

Anyway, when I finally DO get back into Netflix, the video quality is now pathetically bad, has been for the last month or so. I recently filed complaints with Netflix so let's see what happens. I'll update the forum when I get a response from them. I am really fed up with the constant reloading and rebooting between Netflix and Roku, and am about ready to quit using them both and find a new box and go with Amazon Prime, despite my massive Netflix queue. I have had some suspicions that Roku might be deliberately messing with the firmware in order to force upgrades. Who knows?
vspoils

Postby stevewright » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:22 pm

I just got off the phone with Netflix. The Netflix rep said the problem is that I'm on the $4.99 plan, which is 2 DVDs and 5 hours of streaming a month. A Roku won't work with with that plan. In order to use a Roku, you MUST be on one of the plans that includes unlimited streaming.

The rep also said that if I switched to one of the unlimited streaming plans and didn't like it, I could go back to the $4.99 plan. This was interesting news, as NF's website contains a stern warning that the $4.99 plan is no longer available and you can't return to it once you've upgraded. I pointed this out to the NF rep who insisted it would be no problem to switch back.

So, my options are to switch NF plans, get rid of the Roku, or sign up for another service like Amazon or Hulu Plus. Or I suppose I could just watch the free channels on Roku, but the pickings look pretty slim.
stevewright

Postby Buckeye911 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:29 pm

stevewright wrote:I just got off the phone with Netflix. The Netflix rep said the problem is that I'm on the $4.99 plan, which is 2 DVDs and 5 hours of streaming a month. A Roku won't work with with that plan. In order to use a Roku, you MUST be on one of the plans that includes unlimited streaming.

The rep also said that if I switched to one of the unlimited streaming plans and didn't like it, I could go back to the $4.99 plan. This was interesting news, as NF's website contains a stern warning that the $4.99 plan is no longer available and you can't return to it once you've upgraded. I pointed this out to the NF rep who insisted it would be no problem to switch back.

So, my options are to switch NF plans, get rid of the Roku, or sign up for another service like Amazon or Hulu Plus. Or I suppose I could just watch the free channels on Roku, but the pickings look pretty slim.

There's a lot of content available on Amazon, a lot of it overlaps with Netflix but there's also a lot that each service has that the other does not. I have no statistics to back it up but it seems like Amazon is adding content faster than Netflix as well. I've been an Amazon Prime member since before the instant video and became addicted to the free two-day shipping, UPS delivers to my house 6-7 times a month so I'm getting my money's worth. I also use the Kindle library that is available with Prime membership. I've been a Netflix subscriber since shortly after they launched but if I had to choose just one it would probably be Amazon. I do get two Blu-rays at a time with Netflix but I need to drop this part. For the few discs I watch I'd probably be ahead just renting the occasional movie from Vudu or Amazon On Demand.
Buckeye911

Postby microlady » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:24 pm

I did check out the Netflix plans. I could not find where you can't go back if drop 4.99 plan.
But I did see the 7.99 for unlimited streaming from your Roku box. Since you have the box you might think about using this plan to see if you like it. I understand one can have more than one Netflix account number so if you get another subscription (which you can cancel anytime) and subscribe to the 7.99 plan (and leave your regular account with the 4.99)...it would cost $12.98 to have both which you can try for a month.....if you don't like it. cancel the account with the 7.99 subscription and you still have your 4.99 one.

I am an Amazon fan for shopping and did try the Amazon prime for 30 days. At the time, the selection was not as good as Netflix so I dropped the prime. But you can go to Amazon on the Internet and browse their selections to see if you find a lot to watch. I did watch Amazon on my Roku box which worked out well as far as the quality of the streaming. You don't have to have Netflix streaming to watch Amazon streaming on the Roku.

Just something to think about.
Original Roku 1, called N1000,bought 2008
microlady

Postby stevewright » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:52 am

microlady wrote:I did check out the Netflix plans. I could not find where you can't go back if drop 4.99 plan.
But I did see the 7.99 for unlimited streaming from your Roku box. Since you have the box you might think about using this plan to see if you like it.

That's what I decided to do. I switched from the $4.99 plan to the $7.99 unlimited streaming plan, and so far I love it. I just spend most of a weekend watching Netflix on my Roku. :)

The warning about not being able to go back to the $4.99 plan was something that always appeared whenever I would go to the screen that listed all the available plans. I wish I had taken a screen shot of that, because the Netflix phone rep insisted that there's no such rule. But at this point I don't think I'd go back to that anyway. It looks like I can get almost everything I want from Netflix streaming and Amazon.
stevewright

Postby microlady » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:33 am

So glad to hear you are really enjoying the Roku streaming. I am putting here a post I did recently letting another new streamer in on what has really added to our home enjoyment of Roku streaming. You might look into checking out the Instant Watch Browser in the Channel Store.
Here is a recent post I did, which I also say to you...Welcome to Roku streaming...:

Welcome to Roku

Since you are new to Roku and you said you are interested where there is a one time fee as opposed to subscription ongoing charges, you might want to check out the
Instant Watch Browser for Netflix in your Channels.

Here is my topic describing it, with a link to the topic for the Browser with lots of information.

We use it in our home everyday and it is a great time-saver...to find things to watch on Roku, the one time charge enable you to instantly add any choices to your Instant Q instead of using your computer to do it. Check it out. You can look at everything there free of charge anytime.
But if you do want to use it to actually add to your Instant Q, there is that one time charge.

Has been well worth in our home. I am sure you will get a lot of enjoyment with your new Roku.

Again, I say..............WELCOME!

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=50551

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steve:

Hope this adds to your enjoyment as it has to our home! Again..just a thought :D
Original Roku 1, called N1000,bought 2008
microlady

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion