Wifi antenna amplifier?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Wifi antenna amplifier?

Postby glutier » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:35 am

Hi!

Has anyone tried this thing:

http://www.radiolabs.com/products/wirel ... 2bc605bce7

It's an antenna amplifier that is screwed on the WiFi unit before the antenna. 500 mW power (seems legal in North America from what I could find on the Net).

I live in a two-story house with a basement, I guess that thing would radiate everywhere?
glutier

Postby RokuMike » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:59 pm

I haven't tried it, but remember that WiFi is a 2-way thing. You also need to be able to receive a signal from far away.

I've had fabulous success with a Belkin MIMO router (a fancy multi-antenna technology) at my house. Incredibly strong and reliable signal for my laptop and other gizmos. [This is my personal opinion, not a Roku endorsement]. It's less expensive than the device you asked about.
RokuMike

Postby SuzieQ » Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:13 pm

I have replaced the stock antennae on my D-Link equipment (DI-624 and DWL-G520) and with high-gain (8dbi) units. Each antenna costs about $30. The SoundBridge shows now a signal strength of 30+ (up from around 17 before the upgrade).
SuzieQ

Postby glutier » Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:49 pm

The thingy in question is a two-way amplifier, so I think it would help the b-only Soundbridges a lot. (And no, I don't want to attach a bulky external g module to them. That would kill the sexiness factor.)

I already have a 6 dBI external antenna, these old house's walls are thick!

RokuMike: Would a Pre-n router improve communications even with g or b products? I read a little demo on Linksys's site about exploiting signal reflection, etc. but I'm not sure that would help non pre-n devices. Would my two Soundbridges benefit?
glutier

Postby RokuMike » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:52 pm

The MIMO antenna technology improves all the clients. Pre-N, g and b. My PowerBook used to barely work in my home office. Now it works all the way down my driveway at my mailbox.
RokuMike

This antenna booster ROCKS!

Postby glutier » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:19 pm

I ordered the Radiolabs antenna amplifier, and installed it.

Signal quality increased in the living room from 25 to 34.
The timer on screen isn't skipping every five seconds anymore.
No rebuffering whatsoever. None.
Loading playlists and skipping songs are nearly instant.
All the access points' settings are back to default.

Signal quality in the bedroom now 45 from 35!!!

I already had a directional 6 dBi antenna to get to the living room, but there was still a lot of interference.
glutier

Return to SoundBridge General Discussion