Viacom pulls plug on free episodes of 'Daily Show,' 'Colbert

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: Viacom pulls plug on free episodes of 'Daily Show,' 'Col

Postby Crow550 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:50 pm

TheEndless wrote:
Crow550 wrote:I believe Hulu free gets new episodes after X amount of time and Hulu Plus gets them a day after?

Then of course Comedycentral.com gets them the day after too. Until this Viacom crap is done that is.

Viacom pulled all of their full episodes from comedycentral.com, because they somehow came to the conclusion that completely screwing over the consumer was the way to prove that they were right.

So then Direct TV should give them the middle finger and let the people complain to Viacom then. Right? ;)

Maybe we shouldn't watch there content online either. If they want to be jerks to us. 8)
Crow550
** Valued Community Member **

Postby DaBronx » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:54 am

Woo-hoo, good news this morning as new episodes of both "The Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report" are available online with the Roku and Hulu plus.

Watching last night's new episode (7/16/12) of The Daily Show as I type this at a little before 4:00 am here in LA.

Has anyone verified any other Comedy Central programs that are available with the Roku and Hulu plus but not on the Comedy Central website itself?

Let Viacom and Directv continue their pissing match and maybe more folks will just cut the cord.

Peace

brett
Roku2 XS #13A164000326, Roku3 (still in factory sealed box), Roku1, wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 100 mb cable broadband, Samsung 50" 720p plasma tv, (Subscriber- Hulu+, Netflix, HBOGO, EPIX HD, 2014 MLB.TV Premium)
DaBronx

Postby DaBronx » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:48 am

Watching last night's (Tuesday, 7/17/12) episode of The Daily Show on my Roku and Hulu plus as I type this. Colbert report is also up and available with a Roku and Hulu plus.

It's just funny that the episodes are not on the Comedy Central website but are on Hulu plus.

Great comments by Jon Stewart about the Viacom - Directv pissing match on Monday's episode.

And BTW, my Roku is just rocking, no streaming issues recently.

Peace

brett
Roku2 XS #13A164000326, Roku3 (still in factory sealed box), Roku1, wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 100 mb cable broadband, Samsung 50" 720p plasma tv, (Subscriber- Hulu+, Netflix, HBOGO, EPIX HD, 2014 MLB.TV Premium)
DaBronx

Postby DaBronx » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:34 am

Huffington Post has a video of the 5 minute rant from Jon Stewart about the Viacom - Directv pissing match from Monday night's The Daily show that is funny @ http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/17/jon-stewart-directv-viacom_n_1679200.html?utm_hp_ref=tv&ir=TV

Enjoy.

Peace

brett
DaBronx

Postby TheEndless » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:10 am

DaBronx wrote:Watching last night's (Tuesday, 7/17/12) episode of The Daily Show on my Roku and Hulu plus as I type this. Colbert report is also up and available with a Roku and Hulu plus.

It's just funny that the episodes are not on the Comedy Central website but are on Hulu plus.

They're available again on the Comedy Central website. I guess Viacom finally realized that punishing their viewers wasn't exactly the smartest thing to do. Of course, you have to sit through a 30 second "DirecTV is the devil, because they won't pay us more for the content you're about to watch for free" commercial first... :roll:
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby DaBronx » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:08 pm

TheEndless wrote:
DaBronx wrote:Watching last night's (Tuesday, 7/17/12) episode of The Daily Show on my Roku and Hulu plus as I type this. Colbert report is also up and available with a Roku and Hulu plus.

They're available again on the Comedy Central website. I guess Viacom finally realized that punishing their viewers wasn't exactly the smartest thing to do. Of course, you have to sit through a 30 second "DirecTV is the devil, because they won't pay us more for the content you're about to watch for free" commercial first... :roll:

Thank you for that info. Have read that ratings for Viacom shows have slipped since this pissing match began. Reports now are that talks between the two have broken down.

IMO both companies are acting like petulant little children.

Peace

brett
DaBronx

Postby TheEndless » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:43 pm

DaBronx wrote:Reports now are that talks between the two have broken down.

DirecTV disputes that (http://www.directvpromise.com/latest-updates). According to them, Viacom finally came back with a deal that they were happy with, but tacked on a requirement that DirecTV start carrying EPIX at a premium. When they said no, Viacom released the "talks have broken down" statement. This is the most seriously I've ever looked into "cutting the cord"... I'm sure I'm not the only one.

On that note, does anyone know of a legal way to watch HBO and Showtime original series online as they're airing?
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby DaBronx » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:08 pm

TheEndless wrote:
On that note, does anyone know of a legal way to watch HBO and Showtime original series online as they're airing?

I watch the HBO series shows on HBO Go at the same time as they are airing for the first time on the east coast feed.

For example, The Newsroom is available on HBO Go within 5 minutes of starting the east coast feed at 10:00 PM Eastern/7:00 PM Western on Sunday's.

As I have no cable or sat service I have a friend with Dish who shared his log in info with me for HBO Go and Epix HD.

Peace

brett
DaBronx

Postby kc8pql » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:20 pm

^ He said legal. :wink:
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby mikebdoss » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:02 pm

kc8pql wrote:^ He said legal. :wink:

I do the same thing with my mom's login info, but since she's over at my place watching TV sometimes (and doesn't have an internet connection of her own at home), I'm pretty sure my setup is on the up-and-up. Either way, sharing logins isn't "illegal" as much as it's "against the user agreement of your service".
mikebdoss

Postby TheEndless » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:32 pm

mikebdoss wrote:

I do the same thing with my mom's login info, but since she's over at my place watching TV sometimes (and doesn't have an internet connection of her own at home), I'm pretty sure my setup is on the up-and-up. Either way, sharing logins isn't "illegal" as much as it's "against the user agreement of your service".

Not quite what I was going for, either way. I was hoping they were available via one of the paid online services. I don't see the current seasons on Amazon.
TheEndless

Postby mikebdoss » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:10 pm

TheEndless wrote:
mikebdoss wrote:

Not quite what I was going for, either way. I was hoping they were available via one of the paid online services. I don't see the current seasons on Amazon.

Nope, no legal way. They're pretty well locked-down.
mikebdoss

Postby destruk » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:39 pm

You could get a stage screening pass if you know someone who works on producing said show. Being part of the 'live studio audience' option... :)
Sometimes you can do that even before the show airs on tv.

http://www.nola.com/tv/index.ssf/2010/0 ... scree.html -- not exactly the same, but it applies IMO.
destruk

Postby DaBronx » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:10 am

The Los Angeles Times is reporting this morning that a deal has been reached, terms not disclosed but needless to say subscribers will end up paying more. Peace --brett

(story below)

DirecTV, Viacom resolve fee dispute

From the Associated Press

July 20, 2012, 4:17 a.m.

DirecTV and Viacom Inc. say they have settled a dispute that will bring shows such as those featuring the cartoon character Sponge Bob and the comedian Jon Stewart back to DirecTV subscribers.

Seventeen Viacom channels — including MTV, Comedy Central and Nickelodeon — had not been accessible to some 20 million DirecTV customers since July 10 as the two companies haggled over how much DirecTV should pay to carry those channels.

Terms of the deal announced Friday ............

Read the full article @ http://www.latimes.com/business/la-directv-viacom-resolve-fee-dispute-20120720,0,7081474.story
DaBronx

Previous

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion