Live networks - ABC, CBS, NBC

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Live networks - ABC, CBS, NBC

Postby liderbug » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:35 am

Sorry I tried searching on the word "network" and all the computer wanted to return was ... cat5, copper, fiber... I'm looking for streaming networks - ABC,CBS,NBC, etc.

We live in an electronic hole - between the hills and tall trees (it is a lovely place to live) we get zero OTA TV, 1/2 bar cell service (if we stand outside the front door) so DTV has a hand full of short hairs. So far (1 month) Roku has been great - Netflix, Amazon, CNNI and a dozen other channels. I guess it's the - instant gratification? Watching shows as first run - not 6 months later via NF.

So on to the question. Is there a [private] channel where we can stream the 3 major networks from New York? Don't mind the ads, don't mind paying - within reason. DTV started at < $50 - now > $100 per month.

Thanks
(newbie) Cal
liderbug

Re: Live networks - ABC, CBS, NBC

Postby candita » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:46 am

USTVNOW has the live channels..I've subscribed to it for months now & have no problems with it
candita

Postby j653 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:19 am

This company is legal (as of now) and is planning to expand over the U.S. http://aereo.com/
j653

Postby mikebdoss » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:00 am

trekkeriii wrote:
candita wrote:USTVNOW has the live channels..I've subscribed to it for months now & have no problems with it

That was the service I was talking about, but technically not supposed to be used by people within the USA. Also, again not in HD and quality is poor. Anyways, it's a GRAY area I think Roku rather not talk about on the forum.

It's not gray at all - it's absolutely totally illegal for them to stream to US residents (and probably to international ones, as well).
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby tcumpston » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:35 am

While it's not live, have you tried Nowhere TV? It just might be the closest thing to what you're looking for that is currently available.
(Internet:) 20M Down, 8M Up - (Router:) Airport Extreme - (Network:) Gigabit - (TV:) Sony KDL-46V5100 - (Roku2:) HD, XS (Roku3) - (Connections:) 1080P
tcumpston

Postby Buckeye911 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:38 am

trekkeriii wrote:
candita wrote:USTVNOW has the live channels..I've subscribed to it for months now & have no problems with it

That was the service I was talking about, but technically not supposed to be used by people within the USA. Also, again not in HD and quality is poor. Anyways, it's a GRAY area I think Roku rather not talk about on the forum.

USTVnow streams the channels from the Lancaster, PA market as well as 25 or so major cable/satellite channels. You are correct that it's not HD but the streams are pretty darn good since they've limited the free accounts to low resolution on computer only. PQ for most of their paid channels on the Roku and on my computer is usually on par with the SD cable channels we get at my workplace.
Buckeye911

Postby radiocolin » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:43 am

mikebdoss wrote:
trekkeriii wrote:

It's not gray at all - it's absolutely totally illegal for them to stream to US residents (and probably to international ones, as well).

The gray area is whether moving it to a new medium (TV to Internet) constitutes platform shifting and if that is in fact legal to provide. The context is platform shifting from air to cable. I'm hoping for a victory in the case because it will have a big impact on the industry. They passed the first hurdle.
radiocolin

Postby TheEndless » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:54 am

trekkeriii wrote:
j653 wrote:This company is legal (as of now) and is planning to expand over the U.S. http://aereo.com/

Totally unhelpful considering he doesn't live in NYC and there is no Roku channel. Also, that is STILL a GRAY area, I think the broadcasters are appealing the case that ruled that site legal.
The reason I call it gray is because of my belief the copyright and patent system is screwed up in the first place, but I try to stay within the law as possible in such issues. I mean channels like Plex are really GRAY area channels.

They do have a Roku channel: http://support.aereo.com/customer/porta ... eo-on-roku
And to be fair, the OP specifically asked for New York channels. It's probably safe to assume that he doesn't live in New York City given the comment about hills and trees, but it's still possible he might live within the broadcasting area that Aereo covers.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby mommom » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:23 pm

trekkeriii wrote:
j653 wrote:This company is legal (as of now) and is planning to expand over the U.S. http://aereo.com/

Totally unhelpful considering he doesn't live in NYC and there is no Roku channel. Also, that is STILL a GRAY area, I think the broadcasters are appealing the case that ruled that site legal.

The reason I call it gray is because of my belief the copyright and patent system is screwed up in the first place, but I try to stay within the law as possible in such issues. I mean channels like Plex are really GRAY area channels.

I still don't get why Plex is allowed when it does the same things as another channel that is not.But I have seen that the supported channel Plex does have a plugin for the unsupported channel(you know the one).

Just thought I would mention it,I don't have a use for Plex but I have wondered how this works.
mommom

Postby kc8pql » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:30 pm

^ Plex is free and the other P isn't ?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby TheEndless » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:09 pm

kc8pql wrote:^ Plex is free and the other P isn't ?

That's certainly a big part of it. Not only do they charge for it, but they charge a subscription for it, and actively market the fact that you can pay them less to access more content from Hulu than you can by paying for it directly. That aside, the plugin in question also isn't installed by default with Plex, and it's not available for adding from the Roku. I think another major difference was that Plex worked with Roku to find out exactly what they needed to do to be compliant, whereas the "other" not only didn't work with Roku, but went out of their way to work against them when the issue was brought to their attention.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby mommom » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:47 pm

Well,that makes more sense.You would think thgat the "other" P channel would have worked out a way to use the "free" version of their channel on Roku,just for the media transcoding of local files.(what I do)Then people could have found the rest on their own,just like with Plex.
mommom

Postby candita » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:11 pm

trekkeriii wrote:

People talk about this channel all the time & I knew thats what you were talking about & as I said I've been using it for months & my quality is pretty daggone good. I have dvr plus some cable channels & honestly the quality has greatly improved since I've signed up .
candita

Postby liderbug » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:52 am

The OP lives in Black Forest, CO.

I picked NY because that is where (he thinks) the 3 major networks orig. And that would allow watching a 8 P.M. show at 6 :-) I ran across something the other day that got me thinking (Oooo) - DTV, what percentage do I watch? Hmmm... the local channels for local news - lets back up - I/we DON'T watch: How I met your mother, Simpsons and and and... We do watch Person of Interest, The Good Wife, etc. and I got to thinking what do we watch (DTV) ??? 2% (and that may be wayyyyy high) of what's available. We watch (sign up for HBO) Bill Maher then cancel after the last season show. What about all of the HBO movies? Seen them. Seven times! I can't tell you how many times we (re)watch Fraser because a rerun of Fraser is the best thing on. Maybe we need to G.A.L.

On the other hand - just to give a mo-better picture: Netflix) Doc Martin, The Grand, Monarch of the Glen, Luther, New Tricks, Bramwell, etc, etc, etc.... I know, To Each Their Own and my taste is not your taste etc.

Thanks for all of the comments in the thread.

Cal
liderbug

Postby indiadad » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:48 pm

All you need to do is install PLEX on your laptop (plexapp.com/getplex). Through this program you will get PLEX on your Roku box. Then open PLEX on your laptop, open channel directory, click on "More", and there you will have all the network channels. I am watching "The Young and the Restless" right now...
indiadad

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion