netflix device limit

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

netflix device limit

Postby knuckle » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:08 am

Hi Roku Folk----------

For the first time netflix is telling me that I have too many devices streaming at once....if this is the case and netflix intends to enforce the "two devices at one time " rule I am not so certain that I shall continue to subscribe. Any one else seeing this?
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV
all running wireless on a actiontec C2000A
knuckle
** Valued Community Member **

Re: netflix device limit

Postby Buckeye911 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:25 am

I've seen it on Amazon but I haven't noticed it on Netflix yet.
Buckeye911

Postby TheEndless » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:17 pm

The main reason they don't enforce it is because of what most likely caused you to get the message. Netflix relies on the application to inform it when it's stopped streaming. If a streaming application crashes or otherwise doesn't exit cleanly, it can leave Netflix in a "still streaming" state, and it remains that way until it times out on the server. As such, they allow two streams just in case your account is in this error state. If you're serious about dropping Netflix if they start enforcing it (???), then I assume you're using it on multiple devices at any given time, which increases the possibility of it happening.

As for your comment about leaving if they enforce it.. that confuses me. If you're using it enough that you need to be able to stream on multiple devices at a time, surely you think it's worth keeping, even if it means your family has to watch together... ;)
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby knuckle » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:49 pm

I have three adult girls still at home...I got netflix for them as Justin is my usual tv fare ... for sisters they are about as different in viewing tastes as three can be so I do kind of require the ability to stream atleast 3 different netflix shows at once -- so if netflix does indeed make one of the boxes the "odd man out" then I shall stop subscribing --not to say that if they wish to work out a plan to have two accounts and thus the ability to watch three devices that will be up to them -- but personally,I will be done with netflix.
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV
knuckle

Postby mommom » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:55 pm

knuckle wrote:I have three adult girls still at home...I got netflix for them as Justin is my usual tv fare ... for sisters they are about as different in viewing tastes as three can be so I do kind of require the ability to stream atleast 3 different netflix shows at once -- so if netflix does indeed make one of the boxes the "odd man out" then I shall stop subscribing --not to say that if they wish to work out a plan to have two accounts and thus the ability to watch three devices that will be up to them -- but personally,I will be done with netflix.

We have had this since last September.We solved it by having the oldest grandchild use his moms account at our house when he watches Netflix.He uses it everywhere on his 3DS anyway.You say you have 3 adult girls.Surely 2 of them can afford to split the cost of a NF subscription,$4 a month each?
mommom

Postby knuckle » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:29 pm

Hi mommom,

perhaps I am letting this rub me the wrong way,but all of the devices stay on my network--if they were using them on mobile devices like your oldest grand I might not be so bent out of shape about it but it is getting my dander up :)

from netflix

Q :
Can I watch movies instantly on more than one PC or Netflix-ready device?
A :
Some membership plans allow you to watch simultaneously on more than one personal computer or Netflix-ready device. If you are on the Watch Instantly Unlimited plan or the 1-disc-out-at-a-time plan, you may watch only one device at a time. If you are on the 2-discs-out-at-a-time plan, you may watch on up to two devices at a time. Members on the 3-disc plan can watch on up to three devices. The maximum is four devices -- available for members on the 4-or-greater-discs-out-at-a-time plan. Your account can have up to six unique authorized devices activated (and associated with it) at any given time, including personal computers and Netflix-ready devices. For example, if you're on the 1-disc plan, you can have up to six devices associated with your account, but you can only watch one of them at a time. If you're on the 2-disc plan, you can have up to six devices activated but can only watch two of them at the same time.

to subscribe to the 4 disc plan (and thus be allowed to watch 4 devices at once) the price is 27.99 or 7 dollars per device so yes it would be cheaper to get another streaming only account.Perehaps netflix isnt the :twisted: I thought they were
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV
knuckle

Postby TheEndless » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:40 pm

Wonder if it's worth giving them a call, or sending them an email, explaining the situation, to see if they'll up your limit without having to for a buck or two. I doubt they would, but can't hurt to ask...
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby knuckle » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:59 pm

Maybe....will try on Monday ,maybe drop your name in the conversation....I hear that they are almost as big a fan of Endless channels as I am
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV
knuckle

Postby snarler » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:03 pm

knuckle wrote:Hi Roku Folk----------

For the first time netflix is telling me that I have too many devices streaming at once....if this is the case and netflix intends to enforce the "two devices at one time " rule I am not so certain that I shall continue to subscribe. Any one else seeing this?

As mentioned and based on your later responses, yeah this sounds normal if all three devices you indicated were sharing this account are active at one time, or even possibly close to the same time (I think I can see cases where two were on, then one turns off in a way that doesn't release it's stream and the third comes online a tiny bit of time later that might cause the issue.) Since technically you're violating their terms and conditions, your best contractually valid approach to keeping all three devices possibly active at once would be to buy at least one more subscription.
snarler

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion