Roku XDS Extended Warranty is a JOKE

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Roku XDS Extended Warranty is a JOKE

Postby jontalk » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:57 pm

I purchased a Roku XDS about 15 months ago, and within the first 7 months of owning it, it began to fail. After countless calls and support chats, it was determined it needed to be replaced. After much aggravation, I received a factory sealed refurbished unit from Roku Care which when set up resolved the issue I was having. A couple of months later I purchased the Roku Care extended warranty program to ensure that were the replacement player to have issues, I would be covered.

Well as time went on, and soon after the software update, the replacement started failing too. So once again, countless chats and calls resulted in the same outcome which was that the player needed to be replaced. Just ONE BIG problem! Roku stopped manufacturing the XDS and shipped me a Roku XS, which in their eyes is an upgrade. The problem I have is that my $2000 Marantz home theater receiver does NOT have HDMI pass through, so the XS will not work and was shipped back leaving me high and dry.

After weeks upon weeks of waiting, I receive a nondescript box sent from an individual today. Inside is a bunch of Styrofoam pebble and a Roku XDS player of some sort thrown in, no box for it, cable, nor anything but a remote that does NOT normally come with a Roku XDS. In my estimation it is a unit that was laying around somewhere that has not been refurbished but sent to me just to shut me up.

As we all know an EXTENDED warranty upholds the SAME provisions as the original warranty. And that's to say that if a unit is defective it gets replaced with a new or factory refurbished unit in a factory SEALED box with all cable, etc. much like the replacement of the original device.

Furthermore, calls to Roku Care are ridiculous where they cannot find records, put you on hold for over 15-20 min and when you finally hang up, nobody bothers to call you to see how they can help. Roku obviously does not understand the meaning of the "Care" element in Roku Care.

So the question remains: Why does a device manufacturer accept payment for an extended warranty when they have no way of replacing a defective device????

The worst company I have EVER dealt with, bar none. These guys make Microsoft and other big companies look like a walk in the park. UGH!
Roku 3 - Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA
jontalk

Re: Roku XDS Extended Warranty is a JOKE

Postby FX4 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:14 pm

That's fairly standard for an extended warranty. Upgrade you to the current model of whatever you have. Big reason I'm not happy with the current lineup, no component or S/PIDF output. Knock on wood all my Roku boxes have not burped.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby arrowrand » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:26 pm

I've had a couple of electronic items replaced under extended warranty and I don't recall ever getting any accessories or cables included with them. I've also received newer models as replacements when discontinued models were no longer available. Sirius did it to me more than once and those were regular warranties.
ROKU 1, Fire TV & Chromecast - 47" LED
ROKU 2 XD, HDMI Streaming Stick & Chromecast - 47" LED
ROKU 2 & Chromecast - 37" LCD
ROKU HD & Chromecast - 32" LCD
----
Airport Extreme
TWC 50/5
arrowrand

Postby traal » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:39 pm

Because the XS isn't a perfect upgrade for the XDS (it also loses the component video outputs and 802.11a wireless), Roku probably should have kept a few more XDS units on hand (refurbished and/or new) for warranty replacements. In the worst case they should send you a loaner XDS with prepaid return shipping while they repair your XDS.
traal

Postby FX4 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:54 am

The problem is most consumer electronics are not worth repairing. This is the case with Roku. It's cheaper to throw out a unit than it is to repair. However given the new units have far less functionality than older units I do tend to agree they need to keep a depot supply of refurbed older units. I think a little gets lost by marketing and sales at this company. It's not all about having the cheapest STB. Functionality counts more for a lot of us. The newer units strip out a lot of functionality that is important to a lot of serious home theater enthusiasts.
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby philsoft » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:03 am

I have an XDS and I would happily trade it for an XS. Even though the XS lacks component and optical, the Roku2 players offer something that is IMO far more important, added memory and stability.
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby FX4 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:14 am

What stability problems do you have with the XDS? Have you actually run it out of memory? The XS has two big advantages over the XDS IMO, 5.1 support which is not a huge issue to me for this STB and an rf remote which is a big deal.
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby philsoft » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:32 pm

FX4 wrote:What stability problems do you have with the XDS? Have you actually run it out of memory? The XS has two big advantages over the XDS IMO, 5.1 support which is not a huge issue to me for this STB and an rf remote which is a big deal.

Hulu Plus crashes the box more frequently than the Roku2 does. It isn't as bad as it was in the past, but it is still a problem.
philsoft

Postby FX4 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:48 pm

Never see that problem. None of my Rokus crash.
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby philsoft » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:28 pm

FX4 wrote:Never see that problem. None of my Rokus crash.

I think it is tied in to what channels are installed, because some people see the problem and some don't.
philsoft

Postby Strothgar » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:43 pm

I've had two die, and the support has been terrible. Never again. I've already thrown one brick away and it looks like I'll be throwing my second.

I used to suggest these devices to friends. Now I only suggest them to enemies. :evil:
Strothgar

Postby mikebdoss » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:54 pm

Strothgar wrote:

I've had two die, and the support has been terrible. Never again. I've already thrown one brick away and it looks like I'll be throwing my second.

I used to suggest these devices to friends. Now I only suggest them to enemies. :evil:

What are you doing to them? I have three, and they're all running strong. I don't know anyone who I've recommended one to who's had a bad one.
mikebdoss

Postby philsoft » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:10 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
Strothgar wrote:

What are you doing to them? I have three, and they're all running strong. I don't know anyone who I've recommended one to who's had a bad one.

I agree, although the earlier models do crash some, I have three (The oldest of which is the ORIGINAL model) and all are working still.
philsoft

Postby FX4 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:59 pm

I have eight. I have never had a problem I didn't cause. Any bugs that have popped up have been fixed fast. The one call I did make to customer support was out of the twilight zone so I do agree that the phone support beyond sucks. However the support here on the forum is very good.
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby mauiman » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:56 am

Extended warranties, by and large are a joke.
Typically they are sold by the manufacturer or dealer, but warranted by a 3rd party.
These 3rd parties go in and out of business faster than a 6 year old girl selling lemonade to raise money for veterans.
Total, complete waste of money. Company I worked for sold them for over a decade. I refused to sell them.
mauiman

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion