UNPLUG when not in use

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

UNPLUG when not in use

Postby verlando » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:23 pm

Hello, I don't know at this point if I should just keep my new ROKU plugged in when not-in-use so thought I would ask for recommendations here. Seems like it would be best to just plug it in when I want to use it and leave it powered down the rest of the time but I really don't want to have to re-enter all my Wifi log-in information though so. Any thoughts ?
verlando

Re: UNPLUG when not in use

Postby RokuShawnS » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:52 pm

It's meant to be an always-on device. Depending on which model you have (previous generation or the newer generation), the device only consumes 2-4 watts of power. Leaving it on will also allow it to update automatically when it's not in use.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby TheEndless » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:40 pm

As Shawn said, it's not meant to be unplugged when not in use, but if you really felt better doing that, you shouldn't lose any of your configuration between boots, so there wouldn't be any need to re-enter your wifi information every time.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Postby arrowrand » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:04 am

I have a travel Roku. It always remembers its settings for home. I wouldn't unplug it if I were you, but you won't have to redo your settings if you do.
ROKU 1, Fire TV & Chromecast - 47" LED
ROKU 2 XD, HDMI Streaming Stick & Chromecast - 47" LED
ROKU 2 & Chromecast - 37" LCD
ROKU HD & Chromecast - 32" LCD
----
Airport Extreme
TWC 50/5
arrowrand

Postby wingrider » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:25 am

I unplug both of my Roku's along with other electronics when I'm not using them once rebooted everything is normal once in great while I have to reset the WiFi but that is a couple of clicks and done.
wingrider

Postby kc8pql » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:52 am

^ You should do a manual check for software updates occasionally.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby RickRansom » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:01 pm

arrowrand wrote:I wouldn't unplug it if I were you, but you won't have to redo your settings if you do.

+1
You can just keep the Roku on and not worry too much about power consumption or overheating. If it feels hot to the touch when left on for an extended period of time, you could be looking at something else.
Retired
RickRansom

Postby Dick Drivel » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:40 am

I regularly unplug my TV, DVD player and Roku at the end each day, both to save power and to cut down on devices that radiate heat during the hot months.
When plugged back in, Roku is fully operational within about 1 minute and requires no further adjustments, at least not in my experience.
Dick Drivel

Postby Arwen » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:40 am

I use a remote A.C. power switch for my Roku's. Works great and I get a fresh boot
each time I use my Roku.

You can get these remote A.C. power switch devices at hardware stores. Generally
they are used for Christmas tree lights but as long as you don't exceed the power
rating, you can use them for any A.C. powered device. (And the Rokus are way below
the average Christmas tree light power rating.)

Note that I am referring to mechanical A.C. power switches. Thus, this is the equivalent
of un-plugging the Roku without the extra work.

There are other devices like an A.C. power strip that checks for power usage from a
master source, (like a T.V.), to determine if the power strip should activate the other
outlets, (which could contain a Roku, audio AMP, etc...).
Arwen Evenstar
Middle Earth
Arwen

Postby Dick Drivel » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:20 am

I use a simple floor switch that is connected to a power strip, in which all these devices are plugged.
Dick Drivel

Postby arrowrand » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:16 am

Arwen wrote:I use a remote A.C. power switch for my Roku's. Works great and I get a fresh boot
each time I use my Roku.

A fresh boot before each use isn't gaining you any increase in performance. You're not hurting anything either.

You're waiting for the device to boot up before you can use it, but other than that it's a wash. I wouldn't buy a switch to turn a device like this off and on.
ROKU 1, Fire TV & Chromecast - 47" LED
ROKU 2 XD, HDMI Streaming Stick & Chromecast - 47" LED
ROKU 2 & Chromecast - 37" LCD
ROKU HD & Chromecast - 32" LCD
----
Airport Extreme
TWC 50/5
arrowrand

Postby Arwen » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:41 am

arrowrand wrote:
Arwen wrote:I use a remote A.C. power switch for my Roku's. Works great and I get a fresh boot
each time I use my Roku.

A fresh boot before each use isn't gaining you any increase in performance. You're not hurting anything either.

You're waiting for the device to boot up before you can use it, but other than that it's a wash. I wouldn't buy a switch to turn a device like this off and on.

Yes, I have to wait for the Roku to boot.

BUT, I have also had dozens of problems with my Roku 2 XS over the last
year that a reboot solves. Mostly the screwy remote issue where button
presses are duplicated or worse.

I also use the remote A.C. switch to allow me to disable a network device.
Helpful when I am using "tcpdump" to check for problems on my LAN. I
can avoid seeing the Roku "ping" my router.
Arwen Evenstar
Middle Earth
Arwen

Postby KennyJ » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:58 am

For me, the always on aspect is the best part. One (of many) reasons I don't really use my BD player for Netflix, etc is because it takes too long to "boot" it up. But it shouldn't hurt anything if you do unplug it.
KennyJ

Postby redhunter » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:56 pm

For me unplugging my Roku 2 isn't becuase I want to be green it is becuase my receiver defaults to the last active HDMI connection and switching to a different device is problematic with the Roku always on. I have to plug it in when I want to use it and pull it out when I'm done in order to switch to a different device.
redhunter

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion