ROKU/NBA

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

ROKU/NBA

Postby rsdofny » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:17 pm

My father (age 78) wants to reduce monthly costs. He wants to replace Time Warner Cable with Roku. He is a huge basketball fan. I have suggested him to subscribe to the NBA games, but cannot get much info from the NBA website because the season has not started yet. I have a few questions, some on Roku and some on NBA, and I wonder if anyone can help me with it.

1) WiFi vs Ethernet - given this is action game, I presume that Ethernet will be better than WiFi as far as connection goes. Only XS offers Ethernet connection now;
2) For NBA subscription, do I subscribe to the broadband options? The starter program is $27x5 or $120 per season;
3) Because of his old age, he normally goes to bed quite early. What type of games are live and what are on-demand? ie he can get up in the morning and watch what is available in on demand the next morning;
4) is there any other things he needs to pay attention to?

Thanks for your help
rsdofny

Re: ROKU/NBA

Postby DaBronx » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:33 pm

rsdofny wrote:My father (age 78) wants to reduce monthly costs. He wants to replace Time Warner Cable with Roku. He is a huge basketball fan. I have suggested him to subscribe to the NBA games, but cannot get much info from the NBA website because the season has not started yet. I have a few questions, some on Roku and some on NBA, and I wonder if anyone can help me with it.

1) WiFi vs Ethernet - given this is action game, I presume that Ethernet will be better than WiFi as far as connection goes. Only XS offers Ethernet connection now;
2) For NBA subscription, do I subscribe to the broadband options? The starter program is $27x5 or $120 per season;
3) Because of his old age, he normally goes to bed quite early. What type of games are live and what are on-demand? ie he can get up in the morning and watch what is available in on demand the next morning;
4) is there any other things he needs to pay attention to?

Thanks for your help

I'll do the best I can as I did not subscribe last season.

1) I prefer ethernet. Eliminates the possibility of reload/rebuffer from interference. I have a Roku2 XS and it is wired to the router.

2) For the Roku League Pass channel to work you do need the "broadband" package. $120 to follow 5 teams only or $179 to follow all 30 teams (the entire league). The NBA League Pass on Roku page is @ https://account.nba.com/roku.

3) All games are live, most with a choice of home or away feeds with the exception of network games and the local teams in your area. All games are available to watch as archives approximately 90 minutes after they end. All are in 720 HD.

4) The fine print, auto-renewal if you don't cancel, etc.

Peace

brett
40" Hisense Roku TV, Roku2 XS #13A164000326, Roku3 wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, Roku2 wireless, Roku XR-HD, 300 mb TWC broadband, Samsung 50" 720p plasma tv, (Subscriber- Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBOGO, EPIX HD, 2014 MLB.TV Premium)
DaBronx
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Gilgamesh » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:46 pm

Before you invest in the NBA you might want to take a look at this thread.

Of all the sports channels I've tried the NBA channel seems to be the least stable or useable. I tried it out and ended up getting a refund because I never managed to watch a full game in two weeks of trying.

Of course it is possible this season will work fine, you never know,
Gilgamesh

Postby rsdofny » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:04 am

Thanks All
rsdofny

Postby Buckeye911 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:31 am

Last season they gave a free preview for the first week so hopefully they'll do that again and you can check it out before you pay. It worked fine for me, no issues during the preview but I did not subscribe for the season.
Buckeye911

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion