HBO Go issues

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

HBO Go issues

Postby nickz » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:59 pm

Wondering if anyone else is having streaming issues on HBO Go. I've been unable to stream on Roku for several days. Used to work fine. All other services (Netflix, Amazon, etc.) working great. Can access and stream HBO GO via web on PC just fine.

My details: HBO GO subscription through DISH. Internet provider is Comcast. Roku 2 XS, ethernet connection. Roku 2 XD wifi connection.

I've rebooted the boxes, deleted and re-added the channel (and reauthorized the device). No difference. Saw a mention in another thread about some issues with HBO Go streaming as of a few days ago, but no followup. Would appreciate any insights.

thanks,

Nick
nickz

Re: HBO Go issues

Postby DaBronx » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:32 pm

I have not had any issues with HBO Go recently (Dish/Time Warner internet) but will let you know in a half hour or so when I go to watch the season premiere of Boardwalk Empire at a little past 6 here on the left coast.

Peace

brett
40" Hisense Roku TV, Roku2 XS #13A164000326, Roku3 wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, Roku2 wireless, Roku XR-HD, 300 mb TWC broadband, Samsung 50" 720p plasma tv, (Subscriber- Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBOGO, EPIX HD, 2014 MLB.TV Premium)
DaBronx
** Valued Community Member **

Postby DaBronx » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:11 pm

6:10 and HBO Go is working great, starting the season premiere of Boardwalk Empire now.

Will post if any issues.

Peace

brett
40" Hisense Roku TV, Roku2 XS #13A164000326, Roku3 wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, Roku2 wireless, Roku XR-HD, 300 mb TWC broadband, Samsung 50" 720p plasma tv, (Subscriber- Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBOGO, EPIX HD, 2014 MLB.TV Premium)
DaBronx

Postby nickz » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:39 pm

No one else? I'm really stumped here.
nickz

Postby RokuShawnS » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:59 pm

nickz wrote:No one else? I'm really stumped here.

Try rebooting your network. Sometimes a bad hop between you and the CDN can cause issues.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby nickz » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:11 pm

Thanks Shawn. I should have said I already tried that too. I rebooted the cable modem and router yesterday. No difference.

I did some more searching on the issue and found several more recent threads by people here having the same issue, so I know it's not me.

It doesn't seem to matter what time of day. The channel loads ok, I can browse shows, etc. If I start a show, the little HBO jingle thing loads right up and plays, and then it goes back to a buffering screen for the main program and the progress bar gets about 10% and just stops. This is worse than before, where it would actually load up (with high quality) play for a few seconds, then re-buffer at a lower quality level, then stop, re-buffer, etc.
nickz

Postby TheEndless » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:33 pm

There was an update to the HBO Go channel today. Have you tried that to see if it helps at all? (enter/exit the channel store to force the update if you don't already have it)
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby nickz » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:39 am

I saw that late last night and tried it on the XS. Just tested it on the XD too. It seems to be working again, but the quality isn't great. Never get more than 3 dots on the stream. (On Performance 16/2 Comcast HSI, so I have plenty of bandwidth on my end.)
nickz

Postby kc8pql » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:50 pm

^ Not saying it's necessarily your problem, but ISP available bandwith and the actual connection speed you get to any given server can be vastly different depending on a lot of things.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby nickz » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:16 pm

Oh I get that. I'm just saying that, other than for HBO GO lately, my connection has been rock solid, and I've been consistently streaming HD quality from other sources.
nickz

Postby Cyclonebiker » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:50 pm

All -

Having the same issues. We have two Roku units and both are working perfectly with Hulu and Netflix. Recently hob go has stopped working. I can go in and authenticate and browse, but when trying to watch I also see the splash screen then it doesn't load the show.

I am able to use hbo go on the web and iOS devices...both on wifi and cell networks.

I tried removing the channel and then adding it back but that didn't work.

I would really appreciate any help on this.

Thanks.
Cyclonebiker

Postby nickz » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:30 pm

When did you delete and re-add the channel? It was updated yesterday (9/17) so if you haven't done it since then, try again.

On second thought, never mind. I just checked it (9:30 pm CDT) and it's back to not working at all for me. Gets one dot on the buffer bar and then hangs. Now, after about 30 seconds or more of waiting I get the message "We're sorry, video cannot be played at this time. We are working on this issue and hope to have it resolved soon."

Almost seems like a bandwidth issue on HBO's end.
Last edited by nickz on Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
nickz

Postby Cyclonebiker » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:59 am

nickz wrote:When did you delete and re-add the channel? It was updated yesterday (9/17) so if you haven't done it since then, try again.

On second thought, never mind. I just checked it (9:30 pm CDT) and it's back to not working at all for me. Gets on dot on the buffer bar and then hangs. Now, after about 30 seconds or more of waiting I get the message "We're sorry, video cannot be played at this time. We are working on this issue and hope to have it resolved soon."

Almost seems like a bandwidth issue on HBO's end.

Nickz - What cable service(s) do you have? I am using Comcast for my internet connection, and the HBO GO content is coming off a Charter cable subscription.
Cyclonebiker

Postby nickz » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:19 am

In the OP: Comcast internet, Dish TV HBO subscription.
nickz

Postby Streamqueen » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:57 pm

We've lost it, too...Time Warner Cable...have reset connection, we do have the upgrade via Channel Store (but no difference before and after), etc., etc., but nothing. It plays about 10 seconds, then goes back to "loading." Even when it's loaded/buffered to the end, it won't play.

All other channels work just right...just not HBO Go. very disappointing b/c the ability to watch via Roku was the only thing keeping us on the cable subscription...

Anyone who can help, please do!

Amy
Streamqueen

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion