stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Vudu is now in the channel store

Postby Buckeye911 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:01 pm

Yahoo!!! I'm going to check it out now.
Buckeye911

Postby Buckeye911 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:22 pm

ALRIGHT!!! I played a few previews in HDX (1080p) and the PQ was awesome. Everyone else in the house is sleeping so I couldn't crank up the 5.1 audio, I'll check that tomorrow. I didn't even need a linking code to activate the channel, just entered my account name and password and got another $5.99 credit. This is awesome!
Buckeye911

Postby RokuShawnS » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:33 pm

Buckeye911 wrote:ALRIGHT!!! I played a few previews in HDX (1080p) and the PQ was awesome. Everyone else in the house is sleeping so I couldn't crank up the 5.1 audio, I'll check that tomorrow. I didn't even need a linking code to activate the channel, just entered my account name and password and got another $5.99 credit. This is awesome!

:mrgreen:
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby stratcat96 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:43 pm

the interface is great, it's amazing how far the Roku has come in what in can do
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Postby mikeyts » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:33 am

Too freakin' cool! The Roku has just become my perfect streamer, with full-featured (well, mostly) versions of Netflix, Amazon, VUDU, Hulu Plus and HBO Go. (I say "mostly" because Netflix players on other devices have superior search--with separate people-name and title results, superior episode browsing, with a season selection instead of a monolithic list of all episodes and that new automatic next-television-episode start that I'm not sure that I actually like).

It no doubt requires a downstream device--AVR, television, etc--capable of decoding Dolby Plus; I did not notice an option for stereo sound like Netflix so it might require a DD+ decoding AVR for use, period (although there are some VUDU titles with basic DD 5.1 and DD 2.1 sound; some with different sound for SD, HD and HDX).

The cherry on the top is the $6 credit for registration of a new HDX-capable device :D.
mikeyts

Postby janel » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:28 am

Got my $5.99 bonus and have been watching trailers - love it!
Roku2 XD 3050x, Cisco 2100, Linksys WRT54G v2, Charter 18Mbps w/ PowerBoost, Sony Bravia KDL-46V2500, HDMI @jloyless
janel

Postby arrowrand » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:26 am

I got an SD version of Matchstick Men for free when I set up my Ultra Violet account through Flixster a few months ago. After watching a few minutes of it all I have to say is, <Force equals mass times acceleration>! The SD (yes, standard def) version of this movie is, in my opinion, of much higher quality than Netflix HD.

Now that I can use Ultra Violet, I'm going to dust of those 40 or so DVD's and Blu-Ray discs in my collection that are on the list and convert them to Ultra Violet.
ROKU 1 & Chromecast - 47" LED - Wireless
ROKU 2 XD & Chromecast - 47" LED - Wireless
ROKU 2 & Chromecast - 37" LCD - Wireless
ROKU HD & Chromecast - 32" LCD - Wireless
----
Airport Extreme
TWC 50/5
arrowrand

Postby shelleyp » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:46 am

Vudu also allows us to access our Ultraviolet movies.

edit: Ooops. Someone said that already, earlier.

Well, it's still nice. I'm watching one of my movies in SD, but it looks as good as HD.
shelleyp

Postby bennor3814 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:06 am

Yep, you can access your Ultraviolet movies (YAY!!!) providing the studio who made the movie has an agreement with Vudu. The three Ultraviolet movies I currently have (Harry Potter Deathly Hallows part 2, J. Edgar, and MI3 Ghost Protocol) showed up and appear to be playable. This is huge since previously the only way to watch the Ultraviolet movies in the past was via my PC.

Note that while registering for Vudu for the first time you do have the option NOT to provide your credit card information. And if you activate the free 30 day trial of Vudu via the Roku it is applied to your newly created Vudu account.
bennor3814

Postby scyber » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:22 am

Dang, why do I read this after I get to work. I think I may be feeling a bit sick and have to work the rest of the day from home :)

Anyone know if the channel is for all roku boxes or just the Roku2? Just curious.

EDIT: just read on the roku blog that it is Roku2 generation (Roku2, new Roku HD and Roku LT) players only:

http://blog.roku.com/
scyber

Postby KennyJ » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:23 am

I'm going to go test out the Disc to Digital this weekend with one of my BD.
KennyJ

Postby DBDukes » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:41 am

KennyJ wrote:I'm going to go test out the Disc to Digital this weekend with one of my BD.

A few months ago, I decided to try DtoD at Walmart. They re-did the paperwork, making me re-fill out the forms, rather than using the completed online forms I brought in. I suspect that was a local Walmart issue, not a standard procedure.

They stamp the discs so you can't pass them to someone else to get it for $2 (or $5/HD). When I got back to the house, the movies were there in my library. I haven't really used it again, since my Vudu source was Xbox, and I rarely use that, except for ESPN during college football season. Now that Roku has Vudu, I might use DtoD more.
DBDukes
Roku 3, Roku 2 XS, Roku XD
DBDukes

Postby FX4 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:57 am

This is seriously cool!
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby belltown » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:05 am

scyber wrote:Anyone know if the channel is for all roku boxes or just the Roku2? Just curious.

EDIT: just read on the roku blog that it is Roku2 generation (Roku2, new Roku HD and Roku LT) players only:

http://blog.roku.com/

Available now on all Roku 2 models, the current-generation Roku HD (model #2500) and Roku LT players in the U.S., VUDU will be coming to the Roku Streaming Stick in October

I can confirm that. I have a Roku 1 HD (model #2000C), and it does not appear in the Channel Store for me.
belltown

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion