Is Roku compatible with my TV?

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Is Roku compatible with my TV?

Postby suzanneclhfl » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:33 pm

Hello! I am not very tech savvy and need some advice. My ISP keeps raising it's prices on cable, internet and telephone so I am discontinuing their service at the beginning of October. I have ordered Wi-Fi from Comcast and would like to check into buying a Roku for my TV and stream Netflix and Hulu. Before I invest in a Roku I would greatly appreciate it if someone could advise me whether it would be compatible with my TV. It is an older model (bought it around 2000) but still runs very well. It is a Sylvania 27 inch Color TV, Model #SST4272. And which Roku would you recommend. I'm planning on only using it for TV shows and movies. I thank you in advance for helping me. :)
suzanneclhfl

Re: Is Roku compatible with my TV?

Postby FX4 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:54 pm

As long as it has a composit video jack you should be fine. It will more than likely be a jack colored yellow. There should also be a red and white jack for audio.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby RokuShawnS » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:56 pm

suzanneclhfl wrote:Hello! I am not very tech savvy and need some advice. My ISP keeps raising it's prices on cable, internet and telephone so I am discontinuing their service at the beginning of October. I have ordered Wi-Fi from Comcast and would like to check into buying a Roku for my TV and stream Netflix and Hulu. Before I invest in a Roku I would greatly appreciate it if someone could advise me whether it would be compatible with my TV. It is an older model (bought it around 2000) but still runs very well. It is a Sylvania 27 inch Color TV, Model #SST4272. And which Roku would you recommend. I'm planning on only using it for TV shows and movies. I thank you in advance for helping me. :)

I wasn't able to pull up a manual on this particular television, but if it doesn't have an HDMI or composite plugs (depending on which model of Roku you purchase), you can, most likely, purchase an RF switch or similar product in order to make it work (or alternately, if you have a receiver with one of these ports, it should work). This link will show you each of the models. At the bottom of that page, there will be a link for specs (e.g. See Specs) that will tell you which outputs each Roku unit has. If your TV has any of those, it will work without little to no issue.

C. Shawn Smith

PS: FX4 beat me to the punch :)
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby suzanneclhfl » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:44 pm

Thank you so very much for your help!!!
suzanneclhfl

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion