Roku box and Directv...what channel?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku box and Directv...what channel?

Postby Kiwi » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:58 pm

Hi folks:

I just bought a new HDtv and I have my roku box hooked up to it but I cannot find the channel screen for roku. I don't have hbo or anything special like that all I have is Direct TV. Can you tell me how I find the roku channel ? I have looked endlessly for the roku screen to no avail.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Kiwi
Kiwi

Re: Roku box and Directv...what channel?

Postby kc8pql » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:03 pm

How did you connect the Roku to the TV ?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby lion7718 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:03 pm

Try switching TV to Video 1, Video 2..etc...or AUX...than it should show up.
lion7718

Postby Kiwi » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:44 pm

I have the HD roku box hooked up to the RCA HDTV with a HDMI cord. There is nothing else involved. For some reason the TV set up only set up two channels but then I have the Direct TV remote which switches me through the channels. But there is not video anywhere to switch it. The TV remote has two channels that come up on the Tv Cable A40 and Cable A3. There is nothing on the TV remote which says video.

With the Direct TV remote, I don't see anything that says video either. I'm very confused about this as I bought the roku box specifically to stream from netflix.
What am I missing?
Kiwi

Postby Kiwi » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:48 pm

Kiwi

Postby kc8pql » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:50 pm

Use the TV remote to select the HDMI input you're using.
There should be a separate button on the remote labeled something like source or input.
It's not the channel button on the sat, remote.
Last edited by kc8pql on Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby DerekHelps » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:52 pm

On the DirecTV remote, the button you are looking for is "TV Input" in the upper left of the remote. you may have to cycle through several inputs to find the input that your player is connected to.
Netgear WNR2000v2
Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT Firmware acting as Client Bridge
Soundbridge M2000/M500/R1000
Roku 2 XS 3100
-------------------------------------------------
It's all in the <sup>details</sup>
DerekHelps

Postby Kiwi » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:58 pm

I have the hdmi cord in slot number 3. When I go into input I select hd slot three and I hear something on the tv but there is no picture. When I hit the tv iput on my direct tv remote, nothing happens no matter how many times I press it.
Kiwi

Postby DerekHelps » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:05 pm

Your DirecTV remote may not be setup for controlling the TV... On the TV remote there is a button labeled "Input" just above and to the right of the selection buttons. (the circular button set with "enter" in the middle) try cycling through that one.
Netgear WNR2000v2
Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT Firmware acting as Client Bridge
Soundbridge M2000/M500/R1000
Roku 2 XS 3100
-------------------------------------------------
It's all in the <sup>details</sup>
DerekHelps

Postby Kiwi » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:16 pm

Ok, went through all the selections on input again on my tv remote and the only one that works is the HD 3 because I have it hooked up to that one. It is also the only selection where the roku box noise comes on when I press the roku keys. So this must be the right place, but still no screen, just black screen . What do I need to do to find the picture here? Is there some setting which I don't know about which should be working here? Thanks.
Kiwi

Postby DBDukes » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:53 pm

Kiwi wrote:Ok, went through all the selections on input again on my tv remote and the only one that works is the HD 3 because I have it hooked up to that one. It is also the only selection where the roku box noise comes on when I press the roku keys. So this must be the right place, but still no screen, just black screen . What do I need to do to find the picture here? Is there some setting which I don't know about which should be working here? Thanks.

It may be time for some serious troubleshooting. You'll want to ensure you have the original TV remote (it seems you have that) and the Roku remote. And, I'm reading that you've connected the Roku to the TV via HDMI 3 via an HDMI cable only.

First, let's rule out an issue with HDMI 3. I'll assume you have at least two other HDMI inputs on your TV. Pick one. Say, HDMI 2. Power everything down and disconnect the current HDMI device from HDMI 2. Then, connect the Roku to HDMI 2. Power up the Roku, then turn on your TV, switching the input to HDMI 2. What works? Sound? Picture?

If no image, there may be a problem with the Roku, since that would mean sound but no picture on two separate inputs.
DBDukes
Roku 3, Roku 2 XS, Roku XD
DBDukes

Postby Kiwi » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:02 pm

Ok, I have changed to different slots and the sounds comes in every single one but still no picture. I have not powered everything down yet so I will do that now. I have had the roku for some time I had it hooked up to an older TV which just pooped out. The sound and picture was perfect then, I have just changed to a new TV. I will power everything down and restart everything. Thanks.
Kiwi

Postby Kiwi » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:06 pm

Thank you so much. That was the problem. I needed to power everything down. I now have the screen up. I think everything looks good. Thanks you, Thank you !!
Cheers, Kiwi
Kiwi

Postby DBDukes » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:32 pm

Kiwi wrote:Thank you so much. That was the problem. I needed to power everything down. I now have the screen up. I think everything looks good. Thanks you, Thank you !!
Cheers, Kiwi

One thing you might want to check, if you haven't already. You said you had the Roku on an older TV. I'm assuming you were using the composite output (red/white/yellow) for that. Now that you're using HDMI on a newer TV, you might want to check the setting on the Roku to ensure it's configured for a newer model. In settings, go to Display Type and ensure the correct display type is selected. For an older TV, you probably had it set on 4:3 standard. You may want to change it to 720p or 1080p (depending on your Roku model).
DBDukes
Roku 3, Roku 2 XS, Roku XD
DBDukes

Postby Kiwi » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:48 am

Ok, thank you for even more valuable advice... I so appreciate it. I will go in and change the settings for roku now.

Thank you so much !!

Cheers, Kiwi
Kiwi

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion