Blank screen or Not supported mode

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Blank screen or Not supported mode

Postby tozankyaku » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:59 am

I can be watching a show on netflix or any other channel or just playing Angry birds and all of a sudden the screen will go blank or sometime I will get a blue screen with "Not supported mode" on it.

If I pull the power plug (reboot) and or all the plugs from the roku 2 it doesn't help. I am running an hdmi cable and my Internet connection is by wire, so there should be no network connection issues. If I do nothing or I should say go do something else for a while and come back a few hours later it will often be working again. There are other times where it had been working fine and I turned off the TV and woke up in the morning and it would not be working.

I have also tried unplugging the roku, router and Internet receiver and let then all reboot and it does not help either. I have also done a reset and that did not help either.

I am getting a little tired of watching TV only when my roku wants me to and not when I want to.

Roku-2 XS with latest update.
ROUTER: D-Link WBR- 1310
TV: Samsung HLS-4266-WX/XAA
Cable Modem: Cisco 2100
Roku-2 XS with 4.8 build 3343
Model number 3100x (US)
Time warner cable
tozankyaku

Re: Blank screen or Not supported mode

Postby jeffrok » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am

+1.. Get a different HDMI cable.

What type of TV and/or video receiver do you own? Some older/cheaper models have HDMI handshaking issues.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby tozankyaku » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:59 am

I spent top dollar for the cable I have But I guess I could get another one. The resolution is set at 720.
Roku-2 XS with 4.8 build 3343
Model number 3100x (US)
Time warner cable
tozankyaku

Postby mikebdoss » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:05 pm

tozankyaku wrote:I spent top dollar for the cable I have But I guess I could get another one. The resolution is set at 720.

If you have another HDMI port on your TV, you might want to try that first. It could be a problem there as well.
mikebdoss

Postby Gilgamesh » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:38 pm

tozankyaku wrote:I spent top dollar for the cable I have But I guess I could get another one. The resolution is set at 720.

Spending top dollar for a cable does not mean you received a top quality cable.

You are best off always getting cables from dealers that are well known to provide top quality cables like:

Monoprice
or
Blue Jeans Cable

For example Monoprice has a top quality 6 ft. HDMI cable for $6.90 or less. (About 11.08 with shipping for a single cable but that per cable price goes down if you order more than one.)

I order all my cables from Monoprice and I have yet to be disappointed.

As far as the issue you have it really does sound like a cable or HDMI port problem so trying a different port and/or cable could very well resolve the problem.
Gilgamesh

Postby kc8pql » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:44 pm

...also try reversing the cable you have.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby FX4 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:47 pm

Don't waste your money on overpriced crappy cables. Gilgamesh is correct, monoprice is the place to buy your cables. It does sound like you have a handshake issue going on. Try different picture modes, sometimes that solves the problem. You can also try setting to 16x9 or 1080P. A lot of televisions with 720P screen resolution will take a 1080i or P input. Check your televisions specs. I have one television that does not like the R1 output over HDMI and goes black then reboots but it works fine with my R2s. It's a cheap little television but it works for that location. I have another that turns purple during the handshake with R1s but R2s work fine.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby mauiman » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:46 pm

I had a similar problem with my Sony TV a couple years back.
I finally figured out that my Sony TV has to powered up BEFORE the Roku is powered up or I too get unsupported messages.
Before the Roku defenders come to their defense, I KNOW, ROKU is always "ON" but it goes into a "Sleep" mode.
If I wake Roku from it's sleep mode before you turn on the TV, I get an "unsupported" message.
So try turning your TV on first. Might be your issue too.
To fix this unsupported message I must power my TV off and back on again.
mauiman

Postby Gilgamesh » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:59 pm

mauiman wrote:...
If I wake Roku from it's sleep mode before you turn on the TV, I get an "unsupported" message.
So try turning your TV on first. Might be your issue too.
To fix this unsupported message I must power my TV off and back on again.

That seems a bit screwy as when the Roku and the TV are on and you turn the TV off and back on the Roku was on first just like you woke up the Roku and then turned the TV on.
Gilgamesh

Postby kc8pql » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:03 pm

mauiman-
Note that "sleep" on Roku really isn't a sleep mode. All that happens is the screen saver comes on and the light on the box goes off. That's it. The box is still fully powered and outputting a signal.
Turning your TV off and on is reestablishing the lost handshake.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby mauiman » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:38 am

Whatever the reason, that's the exact order of powering on and off it needs for the unsupported message to go away and work properly. Nothing else works or fixes it. Period.
YMMV
mauiman

Postby wonderbird » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:42 am

For me blank blue screen problem on original model roku went away after I reversed the HDMI cable (swapping ends)
I was beginning to suspect the power supply problems the original units had before I ran across the suggestion to swap ends in a thread (maybe earlier in this thread)
Still love my Roku players and still think Roku is STILL one of the BEST options for video streaming available. (recently got a box from the "competition" and am NOT impressed so far...
wonderbird

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion