Why Is The ROKU Stick MHL?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: Why Is The ROKU Stick MHL?

Postby Fofer » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:57 am

Crow550 wrote:So maybe a non-MHL Roku stick will come? There is an Android stick that works with all HDMI ports and is usb powered.

Indeed, check out this current Kickstarter project, for a console stick, primarily built around Android gameplay.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/872 ... nsole-ever

It is only powered by HDMI if your TV is MHL-compatible. Otherwise it's powered by USB, or AC. I would have liked to see that option on the Roku stick, for maximum flexibility and compatibility.
Fofer

Postby max mike » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:33 am

jellybean7 wrote:It had to be MHL because at the moment that is the only way to stream HD content without needing to plug the device in to external power. The MHL connection provides power to the device. Having to plug the little flash drive sized stick into an outlet would defeat the purpose.

Now, as far as the smart TV thing: I have a smart TV. I still use Roku to stream most of my content. Why? The interface is much better. It is fast, smooth and simple. Most smart TV's are not that good yet.

And so Roku should have put a USB power connection on the device, my TV and many others have USB ports that can supply power right beside the HDMI ports or you could use a external USB power supply. There are plenty of Android based HDMI devices that do that. HDMI can communicate two ways without MHL.

Roku severely limited their market for this device through shortsighted design.
max mike

Postby RickRansom » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:12 pm

max mike wrote:Roku severely limited their market for this device through shortsighted design.

I think the reason why they made it MHL-HDMI instead of just regular HDMI was to integrate it[the roku stick] with the TV so you wouldn't need an extra remote in the mix. Of course there could be other reasons but that's just my opinion. :?
Retired
RickRansom

Postby Crow550 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:25 pm

RickRansom wrote:
max mike wrote:Roku severely limited their market for this device through shortsighted design.

I think the reason why they made it MHL-HDMI instead of just regular HDMI was to integrate it[the roku stick] with the TV so you wouldn't need an extra remote in the mix. Of course there could be other reasons but that's just my opinion. :?

The HDMI spec has been capable of doing that for quite awhile. It's called HDMI CEC. I do that with my PS3. I use my TV remote.

If MHL is backwards compatible then adding a usb port to power non-MHL TVs would be a good idea or another model could easily be made. I believe the reason this MHL model was made was to help sell MHL devices and spread Roku by bundling the stick with TVs and projectors and such. Yes it does limit the amount of current users but I assume Roku is hoping when you goto pick your next TV you'll have a good selection that either support MHL or already have it bundled.

Plus it's not that big of deal. Still have the boxes which are still pretty small. Plus it seems a lot of people wouldn't mind a bigger box if it packed in more features anyways. LMAO!

Let's hope they still keep making a model (XS) for the power users. :) Add in a TV tuner and HDD storage support. :D

Slightly off topic but a cool thing you can do with the current Rokus as they use 5watts of power. You can get some kind of usb adapter to plug the Roku in your TVs USB port or console or other device with USB port instead of in the wall if that's what you'd want to do. ;) Something like:Image You can do this with many lower powered devices.
Crow550
** Valued Community Member **

Previous

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion