Roku 2 XS Died After Update

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku 2 XS Died After Update

Postby korm » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:39 pm

Roku 2 XS, ethernet connected, worked like a gem for 12 months. Updated itself this week to the latest software release (one-stop search?) then stopped working. All I get is the purple bouncing ROKU. Hard reset -- 60 seconds with the paperclip --- gets to the second step -- loading the latest software release and here we go again. Back to the purple bouncing ROKU -- repeat reset -- back to the bouncing ROKU. No way out. Live chat doesn't work -- never get a live chatter responding. Filed a ticket. Didn't get a response. Don't want to go buy a new unit because the same thing will happen again and there goes that money.

I didn't add my story to existing threads with this problem because maybe ROKU would benefit from seeing how often this problem seems to be coming up.
korm

Re: Roku 2 XS Died After Update

Postby kc8pql » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:42 pm

korm wrote:
I didn't add my story to existing threads with this problem because maybe ROKU would benefit from seeing how often this problem seems to be coming up.

They know. Roku engineering follows this forum closely.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby zborgerd » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:58 pm

Happening to a few of us. You probably should follow RokuShawnS' instructions in these threads:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=52443
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=51854

Try again to get someone in Live Chat during normal business hours.

I've been working with Roku support since yesterday but have no resolution so far. They did try to contact me by phone (nobody responded when I answered the call) and by email. Email might take about 24 hours for a response.
zborgerd

Postby korm » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:06 pm

Thanks, read those threads too.

Waited in queue for an hour to chat with a Vanessa who told me, quote "Roku is experiencing no problems with software and there are no reports of any customers having problems after updating". So, I guess this thing is just dead for unexplainable reasons and I'll throw it out. Won't buy a new one though since the software update will probably kill a new device too.
korm

Postby zborgerd » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:11 pm

korm wrote:Thanks, read those threads too.

Waited in queue for an hour to chat with a Vanessa who told me, quote "Roku is experiencing no problems with software and there are no reports of any customers having problems after updating". So, I guess this thing is just dead for unexplainable reasons and I'll throw it out. Won't buy a new one though since the software update will probably kill a new device too.

Well, we can guarantee that there are reports. If there were no reports, then there wouldn't have been at least three of us to call in within the last 24 hours, as well as several others reported in the previous thread. Whether or not we are the only incidents, I cannot guarantee. But at least we know that our problems began after the same firmware update.

Regardless, you should try to follow RokuShawnS' suggested procedure if you have any hope for a resolution.
zborgerd

Postby kc8pql » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:09 pm

trekkeriii wrote:Before you do that, if you got a case#, send RokuShawnS a PM with your serial and contact info. He might be able to hook you up, you never know.

+ 1 Don't shoot yourself in the foot.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby varakiro » Mon May 20, 2013 11:18 am

I also have problems since the latest update last week.
It use to work perfect but now it freezes frequently " Loading, Please Wait" since the update I get it every ten minutes or so..
varakiro

Postby Gilgamesh » Mon May 20, 2013 11:26 am

varakiro wrote:I also have problems since the latest update last week.
It use to work perfect but now it freezes frequently " Loading, Please Wait" since the update I get it every ten minutes or so..

This thread is over six months old. I think there has been at least one other update since then. You should start a new thread.
Gilgamesh

Postby korm » Mon May 20, 2013 11:28 am

kc8pql wrote:
trekkeriii wrote:Before you do that, if you got a case#, send RokuShawnS a PM with your serial and contact info. He might be able to hook you up, you never know.

+ 1 Don't shoot yourself in the foot.

Nice advice. Followed it. Never got a response. Tossed the unit in the trash. Bought a new one. My feet feel fine. :lol:
korm

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion