Refurbished Rokus

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Refurbished Rokus

Postby wzwor » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:48 pm

I just purchased my third Roku. The third, like the first, is a refurb'd XS. I took a chance on the first and, unfortunately, it proved to have a defective remote. Roku sent a new one in a couple days. I really have no problem buying refurbs from a company with support like that (Cowboom is also a good refurb merchant).

I am concerned, however, at the number of refurbs available. My public school math tells me there is a problem. Does anyone know the nature of the refurbs, the MTBF for a roku, or liklihood that a refurb will fail outside the 90 day warranty?

I'd like to get more Rokus, but I'm pausing to make sure these are not a disposable product.
http://thebeersoncomcast.wordpress.com/
wzwor

Re: Refurbished Rokus

Postby mikeyts » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:57 pm

wzwor wrote:I am concerned, however, at the number of refurbs available.

How do you know how many refurbs are available?
mikeyts

Postby mikeyts » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:39 pm

I think that pretty much all CE OEMs have to handle a constant stream of returned items. Some got past QC testing with defects, some were broken by buyers and returned under warranty, some are completely functional, returned by people who were under the impression that they did something that they don't or who tried them and just didn't like them. Some are untouched items returned by retailers due to overstocking or because the packaging was substantially damaged somewhere along the distribution line. Factory refurbishing is one way to minimize loss. This may be little more than testing them to determine that they work properly and repackaging them essentially untouched or replacing a scratched enclosure with a new one. Others may actually have to be repaired (though there has to be a point of diminishing returns where damages are severe enough that to repair them costs more than what you can get for it as a refurb).

It's the electronic circle of life :D.
mikeyts

Postby wzwor » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:03 pm

mikeyts wrote:
wzwor wrote:I am concerned, however, at the number of refurbs available.

How do you know how many refurbs are available?

I have alerts set up on fatwallet.com and slickdeals.net that send an email every time there is a deal posted for a roku. Most of the time, these are for refurbs. Meritline, 1saleaday, ebay, woot, and roku all routinely sell refurb'd units. Reading the discussion that accompanies the posts, a lot of people have purchased these. Like I said, I have purchased two. Roku's site says refurbs are 'while supplies last' -- but they never seem to run out. Same for meritline. The dozen refurbished roku auctions in ebay right now claim over 700 units sold.
wzwor

Postby wzwor » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:06 pm

mikeyts wrote:I think that pretty much all CE OEMs have to handle a constant stream of returned items. Some got past QC testing with defects, some were broken by buyers and returned under warranty, some are completely functional, returned by people who were under the impression that they did something that they don't or who tried them and just didn't like them. Some are untouched items returned by retailers due to overstocking or because the packaging was substantially damaged somewhere along the distribution line. Factory refurbishing is one way to minimize loss. This may be little more than testing them to determine that they work properly and repackaging them essentially untouched or replacing a scratched enclosure with a new one. Others may actually have to be repaired (though there has to be a point of diminishing returns where damages are severe enough that to repair them costs more than what you can get for it as a refurb).

It's the electronic circle of life :D.

This is, of course, what I wanted to hear -- except with numbers.
wzwor

Postby TheEndless » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:33 pm

wzwor wrote:The dozen refurbished roku auctions in ebay right now claim over 700 units sold.

With upwards of 4 million units sold, 700 units is less than .0175%, so even if there were 50 times that many (35,000 units!), it'd still be less than 1% of all units sold.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Dick Drivel » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:41 am

A quick look at "customer reviews" in Amazon concerning internet radios or other internet media devices such as Roku shows a relatively high number of customers who have given bad reviews and/or who have returned such items simply because they were not able to connect them to the internet.
Many have still not grasped the concept that the wireless signal comes from the router and that a WEP or other code needs to be entered, and/or other safety programs turned off before the new device can be successfully linked.
Then there is the issue of creating a Roku account and using this to set up the device. This all seems like second nature to those of us steeped in the internet, but it remains a daunting task for many,
I recently set up a Roku for a professor friend of mine, who on his own would never been able to carry out this seemingly simple task - never understimate peoples' ignorance in such matters.
Dick Drivel

Postby mauiman » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:20 pm

TheEndless wrote:
wzwor wrote:The dozen refurbished roku auctions in ebay right now claim over 700 units sold.

With upwards of 4 million units sold, 700 units is less than .0175%, so even if there were 50 times that many (35,000 units!), it'd still be less than 1% of all units sold.

That's just one web site, E-Bay.
Let me tell you my experience with refurbs and from talking to the manufacturers reps for over a decade.
They put as little money as possible into them to get them to function again.
They don't "re-manufacture" them, as some re-sellers want you to believe.
Check the warranty on a refurb vs a new unit.
Usually refurbs have a 30 day warranty, but it is usually quite vague who supports that warranty.
I personally would never buy a refurb anything.
YMMV
mauiman

Postby kc8pql » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:24 pm

I buy referbs whenever I can. TVs, cameras, computers, printers, BlueRay players... Never had a problem.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby jeffrok » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:28 pm

mauiman wrote:
TheEndless wrote:

That's just one web site, E-Bay.
Let me tell you my experience with refurbs and from talking to the manufacturers reps for over a decade.
They put as little money as possible into them to get them to function again.
They don't "re-manufacture" them, as some re-sellers want you to believe.
Check the warranty on a refurb vs a new unit.
Usually refurbs have a 30 day warranty, but it is usually quite vague who supports that warranty.
I personally would never buy a refurb anything.
YMMV

You know that most refurbished units have nothing wrong with them, which was the whole point of a couple of the replies in this thread..

Most refurbed stuff looks new because it practically is new when it's returned.. Many of it was returned to a store because it "didn't work" according to the customer.. The box goes back to someone who thoroughly tests the item (properly), and magically there's nothing wrong with it.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok

Postby socantra » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:42 pm

Interesting. I rarely buy anything BUT refurbs. At least they have been TESTED before shipping out and for the vast majority of them, there was nothing wrong with them in the first place. If there IS a problem, it is usually an adjustment, or at most a single component.

Refurbs are usually NOT units that have been in service for a very long time. They are units that were purchased and returned within the warranty period for real, or imagined problems. A manufacturer that would replace all of the components that were functioning just fine would probably not remain in business for long.

I have no doubt that that manufacturers reps would scorn refurbs. Most work on commission and have a VERY strong self interest in having people buy new retail. I am sure they are able to convince themselves that it is good for the customer, the economy and everyone else that you buy new.

I have found for many years that refurbs are not only generally as reliable as new electronic products, but will save you a serious amount of money. But, if you really want to spend the extra, its probably good for the economy.
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra

Postby mikebdoss » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:35 pm

kc8pql wrote:I buy referbs whenever I can. TVs, cameras, computers, printers, BlueRay players... Never had a problem.

Likewise. Electronics tend to work out of the box if they're going to work at all, and knowing how many people return something because they just can't get it to work, I figure I'm usually getting a good-as-new product. In the years I've been doing this, I've had one bad unit that I can remember, and dozens of good ones.
mikebdoss

Postby mauiman » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:43 pm

You know that most refurbished units have nothing wrong with them, which was the whole point of a couple of the replies in this thread..
Most refurbed stuff looks new because it practically is new when it's returned.. Many of it was returned to a store because it "didn't work" according to the customer.. The box goes back to someone who thoroughly tests the item (properly), and magically there's nothing wrong with it.[/quote]

Jeff, As a former high end audio salesman of over 10 years I can say absolutely unequivocally most units returned to the manufacturer do NOT work fine.
They look brand new because most electronics manufacturers ONLY allow factory returns on DOA units. 72 hours after purchase was the normal policy.
I would see repeatedly, the same models being returned for the exact same problem.
Some manufacturers would pay us to fix them, others wanted them returned.
Our service tech would check them after a salesman would verify they were indeed, defective.
In fact, some manufactures even supplied us with parts in advance KNOWING the models would be defective.
This because quality control does not, as some may think, check each unit. They check them periodically, say every 1,000 units. 5,000 units.
Anything between the last known working unit and the 1st known defective unit are still shipped to retailers.
It's this thing they call "cost control".
Defend refurbs all you like. I know better.
mauiman

Postby mikebdoss » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:46 pm

mauiman wrote:Jeff, As a former high end audio salesman of over 10 years I can say absolutely unequivocally most units returned to the manufacturer do NOT work fine.
They look brand new because most electronics manufacturers ONLY allow factory returns on DOA units. 72 hours after purchase was the normal policy.
I would see repeatedly, the same models being returned for the exact same problem.
Some manufacturers would pay us to fix them, others wanted them returned.
Our service tech would check them after a salesman would verify they were indeed, defective.
In fact, some manufactures even supplied us with parts in advance KNOWING the models would be defective.
This because quality control does not, as some may think, check each unit. They check them periodically, say every 1,000 units. 5,000 units.
Anything between the last known working unit and the 1st known defective unit are still shipped to retailers.
It's this thing they call "cost control".
Defend refurbs all you like. I know better.

I've bought nothing BUT referbs for the last 4 years (when I stopped buying all new products made in China). Dozens of products, one bad. My personal experience counts too.
mikebdoss

Postby wzwor » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:48 pm

I have purchased refurbs from Cowboom. I swear they do not test them beyond power on. If you get one that does not work, you call, they send you a label, you send it back, and they refund or send another. It's probably cheaper to let the refurb buyers screen the returns.

In my youth, I supported computer hardware. We had a cook book of common failures and fixes. I spent most of a year replacing capacitors on LA50s. Now it looks like a lot of people are doing this on samsung televisions.

So, I think unconditional returns and unmet expectations are responsible for refurbs, but I know that inexpensive hardware is not overbuilt or overtested, so I suspect there are bad or flakey units out there. My first Roku refurb had a suspect remote. Two of five Cowboom BD players went back. At the right price and with the right vendors, I'm OK with this.

My concern is that the devices might have a short MTBF and I was hoping one of the engineers would enlighten us.
wzwor

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion