Roku 2s using HDMI out to RGB-component

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Roku 2s using HDMI out to RGB-component

Postby justanotherguy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:02 pm

I have a 24 " 1920x1080 monitor that I want to connect to. It is a bit older, so it does not have HDMI in.
(The Roku works fine using composite video to the same monitor, but only SD of course)

I bought an HDMI cable to component cable... and connected to Roku/Monitor, but it doesn't seem to work---it seems no output signal?

Do I have a bad cable? or does this have to do something with going from hdmi to component?

Any help is appreciated thanks.
justanotherguy

Re: Roku 2s using HDMI out to RGB-component

Postby mikeyts » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:56 pm

I don't know what kind of devices such cables are intended to work with but I don't think that they'd work with most normal HDMI video outputs. There are no analog component video signals normally carried by HDMI; it's all digital and often encrypted by the HDCP DRM system.

I see that there are plenty HDMI-to-component cables on the market. Many of the descriptions have text like:
Your video output device must support both analog and digital signal conversion and output function. Please consult your video output device's user manual for more information. Cable might not work by just connecting PC with TV.
mikeyts

Postby rpac78 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:44 am

I have an older tv as well and looked into connecting my Roku 2 by HDMI to component video. Unfortunately you'll have to get a HDMI to component converter (something like this http://www.amazon.com/SANOXY-Audio-Converter-Support-Output/dp/B0057UNQ18/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1352302930&sr=1-10&keywords=hdmi+component+converter) in order to connect it that way.
rpac78

Postby cwniles » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:02 am

the main issue here is that HDMI compliant signals utilize HDCP copy protection and most if not all "converters/adapters" are HDCP compliant in that they WILL NOT CONVERT A SIGNAL PROTECTED BY HDCP.

what this means is that if you are using an HDCP compliant converter/adapter, any content with HDCP will not be displayed, you will get a blank screen. Blu-Rays, DVD's, some STB's, some cable/satellite receivers are HDCP compliant and therefore would not work with a standard, HDCP compliant converter.

what you could look for is an "HDMI to component stripper" which would effectively strip away the HDCP protection in addition to converting to component.....of course defeating HDCP is more than likely illegal (I am no lawyer) and finding a commercial product that does this is difficult as, well, whoever made it will most likely be getting sued in the near future.

so, the main question is "is the content I want to convert protected by HDCP?"
Roku 2 XS>HDMI>Denon AVR-361>HDMI>Samsung 2333HD
Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem DPC2100R2 >Dynex DX-E402 Router (no wifi)
USB>Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA 1TB in dock.
Roku S/N 13A16H000141
cwniles

Postby idrmrsr » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:00 am

justanotherguy wrote:I have a 24 " 1920x1080 monitor that I want to connect to. It is a bit older, so it does not have HDMI in.
(The Roku works fine using composite video to the same monitor, but only SD of course)

I bought an HDMI cable to component cable... and connected to Roku/Monitor, but it doesn't seem to work---it seems no output signal?

Do I have a bad cable? or does this have to do something with going from hdmi to component?

Any help is appreciated thanks.

Does it have a DVI plug? Looks kinda like a VGA but rectangular. There are adapters for HDMI to DVI. Cheapest thing to do would be to replace that old monitor! Prices are really down these days. Replace it with a 32" LCD TV for about $230 lately!
idrmrsr

Postby cwniles » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:36 pm

idrmrsr wrote:Does it have a DVI plug? Looks kinda like a VGA but rectangular. There are adapters for HDMI to DVI. Cheapest thing to do would be to replace that old monitor! Prices are really down these days. Replace it with a 32" LCD TV for about $230 lately!

DVI does support HDCP so that would be a valid option.....additionally, like idr said, cheapest thing would be to probably replace the monitor.....I did find a company out of Taiwan that makes a pretty snazzy product that seems to be just what you would need but it ain't cheap...seems to range for $300 to $500 for the various devices....

even if not interested in the device, their web site is pretty informative and actually fairly interesting reading for those who might be interested.

http://www.hdfury.com/

Note: As I mentioned earlier, I suspected any company marketing such a device would face legal action and my suspicions seem justified as the HDfury products are no longer available in U.S. stores....of course the manufacturer is located in Taiwan and they claim that they would be perfectly happy to sell you one regardless of where you live....which may or may not get you a visit from the postal inspector :lol:
Roku 2 XS>HDMI>Denon AVR-361>HDMI>Samsung 2333HD
Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem DPC2100R2 >Dynex DX-E402 Router (no wifi)
USB>Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA 1TB in dock.
Roku S/N 13A16H000141
cwniles

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion