HBOGO lag issues on fast network.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

HBOGO lag issues on fast network.

Postby Chaddie4577 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:59 pm

I have a issue. HBO won't answer my emails so here I am. I have a Roku 1 also have 100mbps DL/8mbps UL. The only channel I have issues with is hbogo, every show the sound is annoyingly choppy for about the first 5 minutes, I can skip back a frame and sometimes that fixes it though not usually. I have it connected via LAN or Wi-Fi and both react the same. I'm assuming this is either an issue with HBO servers or the Roku1 for some reason. But as I said, only having issues with this channel, every other channel loads HD in 1-3 seconds. Any help here?
Last edited by Chaddie4577 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chaddie4577
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:49 pm

Re: HBOGO lag issues on fast network.

Postby mikebdoss » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:27 pm

Chaddie4577 wrote:I have similar issue. HBO won't answer my emails so here I am. I have a Roku 1 also have 100mbps DL/8mbps UL. The only channel I have issues with is hbogo, every show the sound is annoyingly choppy for about the first 5 minutes, I can skip back a frame and sometimes that fixes it though not usually. I have it connected via LAN or Wi-Fi and both react the same. I'm assuming this is either an issue with HBO servers or the Roku1 for some reason. But as I said, only having issues with this channel, every other channel loads HD in 1-3 seconds. Any help here?


If everything else is working as it should, it's very likely a slow link somewhere on the internet between your Roku and HBOGo's servers. Do you have the same problem all the time (prime-time and off-peek)?

Unfortunately, there's probably not much you can do. Some people have had luck changing their DNS settings (and getting a new path to the servers at HBO), but that could have adverse effects on the rest of your channels, and might not solve the problem at all if the problem is "closer" to HBO than it is to you.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 3465
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:52 am

Re: HBOGO lag issues on fast network.

Postby Chaddie4577 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:33 pm

Yep it happens every time, morning, day and night. Just figured I'd see if others are having the same issue. Will continue mailing HBO monthly in hopes of a response/solution. Thankful there's tons to watch on Roku :-) may just have to stop paying HBO since they can't even send me a automated reply :-P
Chaddie4577
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:49 pm

Re: HBOGO lag issues on fast network.

Postby socantra » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:57 pm

Chaddie4577 wrote: may just have to stop paying HBO since they can't even send me a automated reply :-P

That sounds like it might be a reasonable response. You might also try doing a forum search for HBOGO. Numerous people have reported various problems with HBO streaming and you might find something that would help. You also might not.

I, like many others on the forum, am no longer an HBO subscriber and no longer have cable or satellite, so am not able to offer much in the way of assistance, except to note that I am delighted to be rid of them. :) .
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra
 
Posts: 1145
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:11 am

Re: HBOGO lag issues on fast network.

Postby DaBronx » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:00 pm

The only suggestion I can offer if you have not attempted it yet is to delete the HBO Go channel from your Roku and then unplug your Roku box for 30 seconds. Plug the Roku back in to reboot and then go into the channel store, re-add the HBO Go channel and go through the linking process again.

I am not experiencing the issues you are with the channel and have watched it as recently as last night when I watched the new episode of "Boardwalk Empire" with no issues.

brett
40" Hisense Roku TV, Roku2 XS #13A164000326, Roku3 wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, Roku2 wireless, Roku XR-HD, 300 mb TWC broadband, Samsung 50" 720p plasma tv, (Subscriber- Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBOGO, EPIX HD, 2014 MLB.TV Premium)
User avatar
DaBronx
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 2497
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:50 am
Location: One East 161st Street, Bronx, NY 10451

Re: HBOGO lag issues on fast network.

Postby Chaddie4577 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:30 am

Thanks Brett, will try that when I get home :-) I was thinking, if it isn't hbos servers, maybe it's my Roku 1, but I think it's HBO. Have to wait 2 weeks to get the stick, when I have a compatible tv, will post whether uninstall/reinstall works. :-)
Chaddie4577
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:49 pm

Re: HBOGO lag issues on fast network.

Postby Chaddie4577 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:32 pm

Nope, still happening :-( but HBO finally responded yay. Now to see how long it takes to see if it's them lol
Chaddie4577
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:49 pm

Re: HBOGO lag issues on fast network.

Postby Chaddie4577 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Such a simple fix, I feel stupid. All I had to do was switch audio settings and then switch back and it was fine. :-) Back to Deadwood
Chaddie4577
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:49 pm

Re: HBOGO lag issues on fast network.

Postby DaBronx » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:20 pm

Congratulations on finding a fix and reporting that the channel is now working for you. Your solution may work for others who experience similar issues.

brett
40" Hisense Roku TV, Roku2 XS #13A164000326, Roku3 wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, Roku2 wireless, Roku XR-HD, 300 mb TWC broadband, Samsung 50" 720p plasma tv, (Subscriber- Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBOGO, EPIX HD, 2014 MLB.TV Premium)
User avatar
DaBronx
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 2497
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:50 am
Location: One East 161st Street, Bronx, NY 10451

Re: HBOGO lag issues on fast network.

Postby djeisenbe » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:05 am

What did you do to the audio to fix this problem?
thanks
djeisenbe
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:04 am

Re: HBOGO lag issues on fast network.

Postby RickRansom » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:23 am

Chaddie4577 wrote:All I had to do was switch audio settings and then switch back and it was fine.

I'm a bit skeptical as to this being what solved the issue, but it wouldn't hurt to try. Feel free to reply back if Chaddie4577's work-around fixed it for you so other will know it actually works. :wink:
Retired
User avatar
RickRansom
 
Posts: 2156
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:23 pm
Location: PH

Re: HBOGO lag issues on fast network.

Postby ank327 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:16 pm

Hi everyone. I am having intermittent problems with HBO GO. It works 100% on my laptop. I could not gain access last night but it worked this morning and failed again this afternoon. I contacted ROKU support but they indicated there were no known issues. I verified that HBOGO worked fine on other devices whenever I received a message that there is a problem that is being worked on per the ROKU screen. Is no one else having intermittent issues any longer?
ank327
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:09 pm

Re: HBOGO lag issues on fast network.

Postby mikebdoss » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:27 pm

ank327 wrote:Hi everyone. I am having intermittent problems with HBO GO. It works 100% on my laptop. I could not gain access last night but it worked this morning and failed again this afternoon. I contacted ROKU support but they indicated there were no known issues. I verified that HBOGO worked fine on other devices whenever I received a message that there is a problem that is being worked on per the ROKU screen. Is no one else having intermittent issues any longer?


Your Roku image is likely a higher quality stream than your computer, and possibly comes from a different source. That could explain why it works fine on your computer, but not your Roku.

I haven't used the channel in a while, but it does have problems during high-traffic times.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 3465
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:52 am

Re: HBOGO lag issues on fast network.

Postby darlinlms » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:54 am

spoke to roku they said uninstall hbogo, reboot roku and reinstall hbogo channel ... did this but streaming hbogo still terrible ...spoke to roku again they said call ATT U-Verse ... did this but download, upload speeds having no problem ...
they said problem between hbogo and roku ... so purchasing this device to watch hbogo is a bust ... Netflix however is streaming wonderfully ... too bad I already have Netflix thru my Wii
darlinlms
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:46 am

Re: HBOGO lag issues on fast network.

Postby trekkeriii » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:05 am

darlinlms wrote:spoke to roku they said uninstall hbogo, reboot roku and reinstall hbogo channel ... did this but streaming hbogo still terrible ...spoke to roku again they said call ATT U-Verse ... did this but download, upload speeds having no problem ...
they said problem between hbogo and roku ... so purchasing this device to watch hbogo is a bust ... Netflix however is streaming wonderfully ... too bad I already have Netflix thru my Wii


I am guessing there is an infrastructure problem on HBO's side that is not quite working properly. Most likely either they have overloaded servers in your area or the servers are so far away, that there are latency issues causing poor streams. Could be your ISP's path to HBOGo servers are poor. Roku merely connects directly to these HBOGo servers, but is dependent on the networking between you and their servers. Roku is just a simple passthru device, so unless there is a hardware defect, there's a networking issue someplace.
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 1240
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:10 am


Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests