MicroSD Memory Expansion ??

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

MicroSD Memory Expansion ??

Postby streamer » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:54 am

Every so often my ROKU2 XD locks up and re-boots. Would adding a MicroSD be likely to cure this?

I do not play any games on ROKU. What benefits, if any, would a MicroSD card provide then?

Would a MicroSD card reduce "Retrieving..." time for Netflix to load?
streamer

Re: MicroSD Memory Expansion ??

Postby kc8pql » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:13 am

The SD card is used just for expanding on board channel storage. It wouldn't help your problem.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Gilgamesh » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:18 am

The SD card is ONLY used for storing channel code. It s not used for any processing.

As far as your lock ups the SD card may allow for a bit more memory to be free for running channels but I doubt that it would make any difference.

There have been reports of people adding an SD card and having problems disappear and there have been reports of people removing an SD card and having problems disappear. It is my belief that either situation is simply a coincidence. I highly doubt the SD card has any real impact on Roku failures.
Gilgamesh

Postby kc8pql » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:35 am

RokuMarkn » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:22 pm
The nonvolatile channel memory in the Roku2 is used as a cache. When starting a channel, if the channel is in the cache, it is started immediately. Otherwise the channel data is downloaded from the Roku channel server into the cache and then the channel is started. Least recently used channels are ejected from the cache if necessary to make room for the current one.

The SD card just increases the size of the cache, so you can fit more and/or larger channels in the cache without needing to download them as frequently.

--Mark
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion