Connection Setup issues

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Connection Setup issues

Postby loganj99 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:39 am

I am trying to set up my roku for the first time. I find my network and enter the password. It has three steps, connect to the network, then connect to the local network, then connect to the internet. It completes step one, connecting to the network, then it fails on the connect to the local network. I have checked my password and tried it several times. If I change the password to one that I know isn't correct, it won't even connect to the network in step one. We have Comcast high speed and they provided us with a gateway. It is super frustrating. We have connected our laptops and smart phones to the network, so I know the connection and password is working. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
loganj99

Re: Connection Setup issues

Postby JHebert » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:31 am

I have seen this happen when the DHCP server is not working correctly. Have you tried rebooting your Comcast equipment?
JHebert

Postby trekkeriii » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:46 am

Check if internal Pings are blocked in your Router's security settings as well.
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Postby loganj99 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:00 pm

I unplugged the power and then let it reboot. I also did an internal ping. The reboot didn't work. The ping returned success. The settings show that DHCP is enabled. We have a comcast gateway, if that makes a difference.
loganj99

Postby trekkeriii » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:07 pm

loganj99 wrote:I unplugged the power and then let it reboot. I also did an internal ping. The reboot didn't work. The ping returned success. The settings show that DHCP is enabled. We have a comcast gateway, if that makes a difference.

Start looking at security settings on the Comcast Gateway. Something is blocking Roku from getting a successful connection at local network level.
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii

Postby RickRansom » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:31 am

loganj99 wrote:We have a comcast gateway, if that makes a difference.
If you mean one of those SMC gateways[SMCD3GNV] then your in for a treat.

Pop open the secret screen of your roku box using these commands:
there must be no error message on the screen before you do this.
Home x5
Fast Forward x3
Rewind x2

There should be a part where the Roku displays the IP it's getting from your router.
If it's not 0.0.0.0 then select "update software" from the lower right portion of that page.

After the Roku goes through the update, you should be able to finish the setup just following the instructions on your TV.
If it didn't work the first time, reboot your gateway and the roku. Connect the Roku to your gateway again - don't worry if you get a red light, this is just so that the roku can get a new IP before trying the update. Do the update from the secret screen. See if it works the second time around.
Retired
RickRansom

Postby Kestravels » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:24 am

This is for RickRansom, I just wanted to tell you that your directions worked like a treat. I was SO frustrated and ready to send the Roku box back as I could not get it connected...but following the above directions, I am now happily connected. Thank you so very much!

(I am a Comcast/Xfinity customer.)
Kestravels

Postby mightyjak » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:10 am

I had the same issues and tried the same secret screen as above. That didn't work, but Roku support supplied another secret screen:

Platform Secret Screen

Home Button x 5
FF x 1
Play x 1
RW x 1
Play x 1
FF x 1

Choose "Disable network pings"
Choose "Back"
Try your network connection again
mightyjak

Postby RickRansom » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:19 pm

mightyjak wrote:I had the same issues and tried the same secret screen as above. That didn't work, but Roku support supplied another secret screen:

Platform Secret Screen

Home Button x 5
FF x 1
Play x 1
RW x 1
Play x 1
FF x 1

Choose "Back"

Looks pretty. And is it... oh! Showing the temp on my Roku. 40C on ambient. Seems my box isn't running hot or anything. :mrgreen:
Retired
RickRansom

Postby Mark12547 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:58 pm

RickRansom wrote:
mightyjak wrote:I had the same issues and tried the same secret screen as above. That didn't work, but Roku support supplied another secret screen:

Platform Secret Screen

Home Button x 5
FF x 1
Play x 1
RW x 1
Play x 1
FF x 1

Choose "Back"

Looks pretty. And is it... oh! Showing the temp on my Roku. 40C on ambient. Seems my box isn't running hot or anything. :mrgreen:

It doesn't seem to work on the original Roku box. Also, 40C is 104F. I'd consider that warm, but not worrisome.
Mark12547

Postby RickRansom » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:01 pm

Mark12547 wrote:It doesn't seem to work on the original Roku box. Also, 40C is 104F. I'd consider that warm, but not worrisome.

That is true. I tried it on my XD|S earlier and it didn't open this screen. Works on my XS though. :?
Retired
RickRansom

Postby johninFL » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:38 pm

Platform Secret Screen

Home Button x 5
FF x 1
Play x 1
RW x 1
Play x 1
FF X 1

I was kinda worried about the temp.of my Roku 2XS(runs kinda warm)so i tried the code you posted about 6-7 times but it didn't work so i called Roku CS and was given a diff.code to try.

Home Button x 5
FF X 1
Pause x 1
RW X 1
Pause x 1
FF X 1
This is the code that worked for me on my Roku 2XS. So if anybody else is having trouble or just wants to check the internal temp.of their Roku,try this code.
johninFL

Postby renojim » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:59 am

Umm... that's the exact same key sequence. Play and Pause are the same button. Perhaps you were using OK instead of Play/Pause?

-JT
renojim

Postby CanMan14 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:44 pm

Never noticed my XS as being hot but the 3 seems very hot. In fact I plugged it into a power meter just to make sure it wasn't using an excessive amount - it wasn't.

My temp on my 2XS is 40C - will check on the 3 later.
CanMan14

Postby CanMan14 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:53 pm

Roku 3 constantly shows "N/A" for the temperature. But does give a lot of other interesting WiFi remote options in that same menu.
CanMan14

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion