SyFy channel now available in the channel store

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

SyFy channel now available in the channel store

Postby philsoft » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:25 pm

REALLY happy to see this channel, change is coming :)
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Re: SyFy channel now available in the channel store

Postby lion7718 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:16 pm

It's a start, but kinda disappointing that it is only clips & interviews...no full episodes yet.
lion7718

Postby mikeyts » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:25 pm

It's just a bunch of short clips. I'd have expected at least the collection of full episodes available on their web site.
mikeyts

Postby catastrophegirl » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:36 pm

i think it's time the many fans of syfy give some feedback and positive reinforcement. i know i've been asking them to get on roku for the past year+. maybe now it's time to say "thanks for getting on roku. and i'd really love to be able to catch the syfy rewind on roku... or at the very least the latest episode of each show"
i'm sure if they ever get full episodes that there will be commercials, just like their website, but that's to be expected for a free channel with major content
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless
speed range from ~18-20mbps
http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/
twitter: catastrophegirl
PM or tweet me if you want a channel added to my list, a correction or to update a developers' credit
catastrophegirl

Postby socantra » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:29 pm

If its just short clips, then they, like the rest of the cable/satellite industry, are still treating Roku and internet streaming with contempt. WHO CARES?

I'm really glad that I caught this thread before I went to the trouble of installing the channel. Wake me up when they get serious. :roll:
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra

Postby philsoft » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:32 pm

Free channel, with content we previously didn't have access to, and people still complain ... Sigh.
philsoft

Postby stratcat96 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:51 pm

remember what Crackle was before they were filled with free movies and TV? Give them time, I personally am excited to see SyFy take the first steps
stratcat96

Postby mikeyts » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:53 pm

philsoft wrote:Free channel, with content we previously didn't have access to, and people still complain ... Sigh.

Dude--there are hundreds of free channels with unique content. This one is about as useful to me as the great majority of them, which is to say, not at all.

At least they set up categories and file the existing video under "Clips" suggesting that there might be other categories in the future, like "Episodes". We'll see, by and by.
mikeyts

Postby socantra » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:07 pm

philsoft wrote:Free channel, with content we previously didn't have access to, and people still complain ... Sigh.

So, all free content is good content? Some folks are easily satisfied...sigh. Sorry if I was hoping for something worthwhile, or even mildly entertaining. I guess that is being rather unreasonable. After all...............IT IS FREE! :)
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra

Postby philsoft » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:08 pm

mikeyts wrote:

Dude--there are hundreds of free channels with unique content. This one is about as useful to me as the great majority of them, which is to say, not at all.

At least they set up categories and file the existing video under "Clips" suggesting that there might be other categories in the future, like "Episodes". We'll see, by and by.

I think you missed my point.
FREE- meaning you are out nothing, nada, zilch. No downside, with virtually unlimited potential for expansion.

You don't like it currently, well OK, but some people are able to see the bigger picture and see this as a major step being taken by a cable network. Those of us that have been following the streaming scene since the Roku DVP was known as "The Netflix Player" with but a single channel, are fully aware of what a major development this is. Those that are newer to the scene will be a bit more shortsighted on the topic.
philsoft

Postby kc8pql » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:23 pm

Those of us that have been following the streaming scene since the Roku DVP was known as "The Netflix Player" with but a single channel, are fully aware of what a major development this is.

+1 It's not what's in the channel now. It's that there is a channel now.
More and more majors are getting their feet wet in STB streaming, something thought imposable just a few years ago.
Streaming is evolving.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby DBDukes » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:07 pm

From what I see, it's essentially the same channel that has been on Xbox for some time. And, it's not a big deal. Okay, some behind-the-scenes kinda things, but that just doesn't do it for me. It's better than nothing, but it's also next to nothing.
DBDukes
Roku 3, Roku 2 XS, Roku XD
DBDukes

Postby philsoft » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:24 pm

The ones who "Get it", will, and the ones who don't... Won't.
philsoft

Postby vandergraff » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:39 pm

philsoft wrote:The ones who "Get it", will, and the ones who don't... Won't.

OK - maybe foolishly I'll bite....

It is free - while certainly not a negative it is only a plus if it has any value.

Clips and interviews - not really.

Now I am not a mind reader and you imply it has potential.

If you imply that we may be on the way to a la carte TV choices I would love it - but I am not sure how we get there from here - but as I say I am not a mind reader.......
vandergraff

Postby philsoft » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:07 am

vandergraff wrote:
philsoft wrote:The ones who "Get it", will, and the ones who don't... Won't.

OK - maybe foolishly I'll bite....

It is free - while certainly not a negative it is only a plus if it has any value.

Clips and interviews - not really.

Now I am not a mind reader and you imply it has potential.

If you imply that we may be on the way to a la carte TV choices I would love it - but I am not sure how we get there from here - but as I say I am not a mind reader.......

If you were the CFO of SyFy and you already had the channel in place, and someone to maintain the channel. All that is left is arranging a way to take money. If you start seeing an interest in people paying, say 8 bucks a month, for access to your catalog, and all you have to do is figure out a way to take their money, then it becomes something that can't be ignored. A La Carte pricing will be higher than Cable, but I always knew it would be. That is fine with me because I would rather pay 25 or 30 bucks a month for channels I actually watch, rather than a hundred bucks a month for a package that I watch TWO PERCENT of.
philsoft

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion