Not getting audio from TV to receiver using Roku

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Not getting audio from TV to receiver using Roku

Postby lytleric » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:06 pm

I have an interesting audio problem that I can't seem to figure out. I read through audio section in the "Roku Tips" thread and didn't see this exact problem, so if I missed it, please direct me back there! Here's my situation:

I have a Roku 2 HD connected to my Panasonic HDTV via HDMI. I have my TV audio connected to my Sony receiver via the RCA audio out jack on the TV. This allows me to listen to the TV audio through my stereo system.

However, I am not getting any audio through the reciever when using the Roku. I can get audio just fine through the TV speakers from the Roku. And I can get audio through my receiver from the TV when watching a regular broadcast OTA channel. So I know that the audio out connection from TV to receiver is not the problem. And I since I can get sound from the TV speakers when using the Roku, I know that the HDMI cable is carrying the audio signal from the Roku.

I know that sounds a bit confusing, but does anyone have any idea why the audio signal wouldn't carry from my TV to my receiver only when using the Roku? It's just strange that it works when watching broadcast TV.
lytleric

Re: Not getting audio from TV to receiver using Roku

Postby knuckle » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:20 pm

Hi ltleric.
first let me welcome you to the forum.

Without knowing the model of your Sony....
which in-put on the reciever do you have the roku hooked to? Are there menu settings for each in-put? ie if the roku plays through source "video 1" there is not a menu setting for that source that sets master volume etc?
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV
all running wireless on a actiontec C2000A
knuckle
** Valued Community Member **

Postby trekkeriii » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:25 pm

Edit, oops, I should have read this better, I thought I saw "optical" connection in your post.

Still make sure your Roku is set to stereo sound not surround sound settings.
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii

Postby lytleric » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:28 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. The Roku is not hooked up to the receiver, only to the TV (via HDMI). Then the TV is hooked up to the receiver via standard RCA cables plugged into the audio out jacks on the back of the TV. Like I mentioned, this connection works fine for broadcast TV; it is only when using the Roku that I get no audio through the receiver (but do from the TV speakers).

If it matters, the receiver is a Sony STR-DE335.
lytleric

Postby kc8pql » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:38 pm

Do you have the Roku set to Stereo or 5.1? What channel are you using?
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby lytleric » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:02 pm

I checked the audio settings and confirmed it is set to stereo. As an experiment, I switched it to 5.1; no change. Switched back to stereo, still no sound. This occurs on all channels, basically any sound coming through the Roku.
lytleric

Postby RickRansom » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:22 am

How about if you connect:
Roku <HDMI> TV
Roku <RCA> Receiver

so the roku connects directly to the receiver?
BTW, have you tried connecting the Roku to the TV only[without the HDMI plugged in] to verify that the RCA out on the Roku is OK and functional?

In case the information above wasn't able to get you through this bump, post the make and model of your TV and receiver. Somebody here with a bag of ideas should be able to help you out. :wink:
Retired
RickRansom

Postby lytleric » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:10 pm

OK - I connected audio from the A/V out jack on the Roku to the receiver and this works: I now get audio from Roku to the receiver along with video to the TV via HDMI.

So this gets me to what I was trying to do. HOWEVER, since the Video Audio-In jack on my receiver is now occupied by the Roku audio, I can't connect the TV audio directly to my receiver (to listen the TV audio from broadcast stations). Do they make a 2-in-1 adaptor so I can hook two inputs into one jack?

I still find it strange that the HDMI will carry the Roku audio through to TV speakers, and the TV will carry broadcast audio to the receiver, but the TV will not carry Roku audio to the receiver. Still scratching my head on that.

FWIW, the TV is a Panasonic HDTV model PT-52LCX66 and the receiver is a Sony STR-DE335.
lytleric

Postby mhcannes » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:42 am

lytleric wrote:OK - I connected audio from the A/V out jack on the Roku to the receiver and this works: I now get audio from Roku to the receiver along with video to the TV via HDMI.

So this gets me to what I was trying to do. HOWEVER, since the Video Audio-In jack on my receiver is now occupied by the Roku audio, I can't connect the TV audio directly to my receiver (to listen the TV audio from broadcast stations). Do they make a 2-in-1 adaptor so I can hook two inputs into one jack?

I still find it strange that the HDMI will carry the Roku audio through to TV speakers, and the TV will carry broadcast audio to the receiver, but the TV will not carry Roku audio to the receiver. Still scratching my head on that.

FWIW, the TV is a Panasonic HDTV model PT-52LCX66 and the receiver is a Sony STR-DE335.

Just a thought, have you tried changing the audio setting for the HDMI Input on your tv.
Default is usually auto, but changing to Digital / analogue setting can sometimes resolves issues, though I would not pretend to know why?
mhcannes

Postby __5 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:52 am

As “Rick” pointed,

That’s a better setup (than routing audio thru TV),
Roku > HDMI > TV …….. (for video)
Roku > RCA (composite) > Receiver ……… (for audio)

Your receiver has at least 3 RCA audio inputs, Btw.

e.g., if you already have RCA audio going from the TV to [TV/SAT] input on the Receiver. Then connect Roku to [CD] input on the Receiver. Just make sure to switch audio inputs using the Receiver’s remote, (press [CD] < > [TV/SAT] on remote to switch audio between roku & TV). No need for an RCA splitter.

To answer your question,
Q. Why no audio from the TV’s (analog) audio-out? When Roku is connected? (via hdmi).

A. That’s a limitation of your TV (model).
Your TV will only pass OTA (channels) audio/video signal. But, will not pass the audio/video signal from HDMI input.

HH :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:idea: FYI, did you know HDMI 1.4 specification have now five HDMI cable types to choose from. read here.
__5

Postby lytleric » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:35 am

ro5 wrote:Your receiver has at least 3 RCA audio inputs, Btw.

Yep, and they are all occupied: I have a CD player in the "CD" input, an iPod in the "MD/Tape" input, a VCR in the "Video" input (yes, I still use a VCR on rare occasion for some vintage tapes), a DVD player in the "5.1 CH" input, and my TV in the "TV/SAT" input--which I removed to plug in the Roku audio.

I actually found some RCA cables that have a piggyback-shaped plug at one end that allows a second source to be hooked up into one set of inputs. This allows me to keep both the Roku and my TV plugged into the TV/SAT input. (I haven't tried turning both on at the same time though!)

ro5 wrote:A. That’s a limitation of your TV (model).
Your TV will only pass OTA (channels) audio/video signal. But, will not pass the audio/video signal from HDMI input.

So I guess understand now that the TV only passes the broadcast audio out. But I find it silly that whatever is playing from the TV speakers, regardless of source, isn't passed to the audio out. If I can hear it from the TV speakers, I should logically be able to hear it through my receiver...
lytleric

Postby socantra » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:48 am

lytleric wrote:So I guess understand now that the TV only passes the broadcast audio out. But I find it silly that whatever is playing from the TV speakers, regardless of source, isn't passed to the audio out. If I can hear it from the TV speakers, I should logically be able to hear it through my receiver...

Silly it may be, but, when all else fails, RTFM, page 16:
Notes:
• This unit contains Video and Audio Outputs for the purpose of recording television programming to VCR. Due to license restrictions, if a device (STB, DVD, etc.) is connected to the HDMI input of the unit, no video or audio output is allowed.

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMAN ... 2LCX66.pdf
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra

Postby RichardDavies » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:51 pm

I have a similar problem with my newly purchased Roku 2 XD. It's connected to my Sharp TV via HDMI cable and my TV is connected to my Sony DAV-C450 Receiver via a Toslink optical audio cable. However, I can hear no audio through my receiver. I know there is nothing wrong with the cables or configuration because I have a Boxee Box that was previously connected exactly the same way and the audio worked just fine.

Just to be clear, let me state it again. I disconnected the HDMI cable from my working Boxee Box and connected the same cable to my Roku. I could hear audio through my receiver when the Boxee Box was connected, but no audio when the Roku is connected. Nothing else has changed (i.e. same TV inputs/outputs are used, same cables, same volume settings. Literally the only difference is HTML cable switched from Boxee Box to Roku.)

Since I have my receiver connected to my TV, I have the TV's built in speakers disabled and the audio is output to the receiver via optical audio cable. However, if I turn the TV speakers back on, I can hear the Roku, so I know it is outputing audio. The only question is why is that audio not passed through to the receiver like when the Boxee Box is connected?

P.S. Roku is in stereo audio mode.
RichardDavies

Postby __5 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:40 pm

RichardDavies wrote:I have a similar problem with my newly purchased Roku 2 XD. It's connected to my Sharp TV via HDMI cable and my TV is connected to my Sony DAV-C450 Receiver via a Toslink optical audio cable. However, I can hear no audio through my receiver. I know there is nothing wrong with the cables or configuration because I have a Boxee Box that was previously connected exactly the same way and the audio worked just fine.

Just to be clear, let me state it again. I disconnected the HDMI cable from my working Boxee Box and connected the same cable to my Roku. I could hear audio through my receiver when the Boxee Box was connected, but no audio when the Roku is connected. Nothing else has changed (i.e. same TV inputs/outputs are used, same cables, same volume settings. Literally the only difference is HTML cable switched from Boxee Box to Roku.)

Since I have my receiver connected to my TV, I have the TV's built in speakers disabled and the audio is output to the receiver via optical audio cable. However, if I turn the TV speakers back on, I can hear the Roku, so I know it is outputing audio. The only question is why is that audio not passed through to the receiver like when the Boxee Box is connected?

P.S. Roku is in stereo audio mode.

(for next post) Try to provide all these info.

hope that ‘d help :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:idea: FYI, did you know HDMI 1.4 specification have now five HDMI cable types to choose from. read here.
__5

Postby RichardDavies » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:05 pm

__5 wrote:(for next post) Try to provide all these info.

hope that ‘d help :)

Serial #: 12C2C7052069
Roku: Roku 2 XD (3050X) connected via HDMI to TV
TV: Sharp LC-46SB54U LCD TV
Receiver: Sony DAV-C450 connected to TV's audio output via Toslink optical audio cable
Roku Firmware Version: 4.9 build 5060
HDMI Cable: 25ft 26AWG CL2 Standard HDMI Cable from MonoPrice.com

Again, everything appears to be working correctly except audio from Roku is not passed through from TV to receiver (but audio can be heard on the TV itself). But it works correctly when Boxee Box is connected to exactly the same setup.
RichardDavies

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion