Just wanted to share my setup that I am extremely happy with. I stream TV Shows to a Roku 2 XD and a Roku HD. They typically are available on my Roku 45 minutes
after they air without commercials. Initial setup: 45 minutes
Add a DVD: 1 minute + 20 minutes of waiting
Schedule Recording: 1 minutes to add a series to be recorded. I can typically watch on the Roku 45 minutes after the show airs without commercials.
First, I love my Rokus but I have not been happy with Hulu+ because of commercials and the channel seems to become unresponsive more than any other channel I have. I tried simple.tv but ended up selling it on eBay because I didn't really like the Roku channel and $200 only gets you 1 tuner.
So I bought a SFF 2.33GHz Intel C2D refurbed Win 7 PC on eBay for $120. I'm a Mac guy but I wanted Windows Media Center. I bought a tuner off of Amazon for $80. I took a 2TB USB drive I already had and plugged that in.
Then I did this on the computer.
1. I setup 4 folders on the external drive and pointed Plex Media Server to them: Movies, Home Videos, Kid's Movies, TV Shows.
2. I used Handbrake to rip all my DVDs and put them in one of the above folders.
3. Plugged in the tuner into my router and let WMC find it.
4. With Remote Potato I setup all my TV recordings from any computer in my house. WMC has a built in FREE programming guide.
5. I setup MCEBuddy to remove commercials and transcode in a fromat for Roku. Drops the output into TV folder.
6. Plex scans for new files every 15 minutes. I also setup a bunch of Plex Channels (Hulu, Daily Show, YouTube, etc.)
7. Sit on my couch and let my shows hit the Roku every week with very little interaction
This works amazingly for me because I do not need to watch live TV and it removes all of my commercials. I have this computer sitting in a closet humming away.
* Similar computer to what I bought $120: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271095617320?ss ... 1439.l2649
* TV Tuner $80: http://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-HDHom ... erun+prime
* USB Hard Drive $90: http://www.amazon.com/Book-Essential-Ex ... rds=mybook
* Plex $0: http://www.plexapp.com/
* Remote Potato $0: http://www.remotepotato.com/
* Handbrake $0: http://handbrake.fr/
* MCEBuddy$0 : http://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/
Total about $300 unless you have an old USB drive or computer lying around.