Problems with Hulu Plus?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Problems with Hulu Plus?

Postby rothmaniac » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:20 pm

Does anybody else have problems with Hulu plus? It hasn't been working for me for the past 3-4 months on the Roku. Nothing It starts, and then I essentially loose wireless connection.
I do not have the same problem with Pandora or Netflix. Netflix will stall every once and a while, but then it recovers pretty gracefully. Amazon is pretty hit and miss, and I can't even use Vudu.
My guess is it has to do with the design of the app, and how it queues data? Netflix does a lot better with a poor connection?
I initially thought it was my wifi, which granted isn't great. I tried getting a new router, but that didn't fix the problem. I have been messing with the settings on the router, but that didn't work. The Roku was attached to the TV, and I tried moving that (in case there was interference), but it didn't help. I have the Roku2, but plugging in through an ethernet cable just isn't an option.
I have reset the roku, my wireless router and my modem. My wireless is broadcasting in N.

Vitals:
Critical:
Channel name - Hulu Plus
Channel version (Home 3x, Up 2x, Left, Right, Left, Right, Left) - Version 2.5 build 1
What is the issue being reported? - Poor connection, often shows "loading" messages
What are the steps to reproduce? - Use hulu on my network
Is it reproducible (how many times out of 5 does this happen)? - Happens 4 out of 5 times, Hulu is essentially unwatchable (And Hulu is the reason I got a roku)
What is the serial number of the box? (Found on the bottom of the unit labeled ‘SERIAL NO’ and in Settings -> About, ‘Serial number’.) - 13C1C2022678
What software version is the box running? (Roku2 = Settings > About ----- Roku1 = Settings >Player Info) - 4.9 Build 5060
Model - 3100X

Nice to have:
Code for the channel installed.
Is the box connected to the internet via wireless or a wired connection? (Wifi or Ethernet.) - Wifi
What signal strength is the box reporting if connected to the internet via Wifi? (Roku2 = Settings > About, labeled "Wireless signal strength" ----- Roku1 = Settings > Network) - Fair
What type of internet service does the user have? (DSL, Cable, T1, Fiber, Satellite, etc) - DSL
How is the box connected to the TV (HDMI, Composite, Component)?
What resolution is being used?
If it is a paid channel is the user a subscriber/member, and for how long? - I have been paying for hulu for about a year? I have had the roku for about a year.
rothmaniac

Re: Problems with Hulu Plus?

Postby knuckle » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:19 pm

Hi rothmaniac,

it seems that you might need to do some router tweaking

set your DNS to a public server ( 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 work well for me )-- if you are not currently using one and set your wireless channel to channel 2 or 11 never on auto.Unless there is some source of interfearence you should try and get "excellent" on your connection.We are here to help so post back if needed---good luck
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
all running wireless on a Netgear WNR 1000
knuckle
** Valued Community Member **

Postby mbratch » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:27 pm

OMG I've been having problems with HuluPlus on Roke since I bought my Roku XD|S units a couple of years ago. The app, plain and simple, sucks big time. After it's running a video for a few seconds it becomes unresponsive to video commands from the remote. So you press them here and there. Then minutes later, the video starts stuttering, finally in response to the command buttons pressed. It's just a disaster. So I have to plan to watch a video end to end with no stopping, then I have to reset the Roku unit to get it back to normal after the video has played.

I don't understand why this has been a problem for so long.
http://www.codekinesis.com
mbratch

Postby taomaster99 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:38 pm

I have the same locking up issue. There is no rhyme or reason to when it does it. I could have no issue in the morning then at night it will not let me use the remote. I have to reset the roku 2. At first I thought it was my Internet connection cause I had a pretty slow connection but I have upgraded since then (Comcast 12mb down). Every other channel (that I use at least) works fine but Hulu plus!
taomaster99

Postby RokuShawnS » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:01 pm

Please note, guys and gals, that if you do a forum search on Hulu+, you will see a number of threads regarding this.

In general, if you watch a LOT of Hulu+ (3 or more hours per day), I personally recommend rebooting the Roku after a couple of hours if you're experiencing these issues. Please note that your internet connection will also play a very specific role in the quality of service. If you have just one single bad hop between you and the CDN, you're going to have issues. You'll want to try GoogleDNS or OpenDNS to see if that helps as well.

It's not a perfect solution, but Hulu+ exhibits the same behavior across all internet streaming devices (for example, I can't reliably watch Hulu+ on a PS3, but can on the Roku). It's just the nature of the beast.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby mbratch » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:44 pm

Thanks RokuShawnS. I thought I had tried a search for this topic and got a whole bunch of other posts and threads that weren't relevant to my specific problem. But I shall try harder next time.

In my case, I DO NOT watch 3 hours of HULU+ in a sitting. The HULU+ app problem occurs every single time I use it. After only a few minutes of use. And although there are lots of threads perhaps, it hasn't seemed to lead to any fix to the problem. I'm not really sure where to direct this concern and get some kind of results. And I can't tell if anyone who might be able to do something cares enough to do so. The problem's been around quite some time.
mbratch

Postby philsoft » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:52 pm

mbratch wrote:The HULU+ app problem occurs every single time I use it. After only a few minutes of use. And although there are lots of threads perhaps, it hasn't seemed to lead to any fix to the problem. I'm not really sure where to direct this concern and get some kind of results. And I can't tell if anyone who might be able to do something cares enough to do so. The problem's been around quite some time.

+1 I agree with this completely.
philsoft

Postby Gilgamesh » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:15 pm

mbratch wrote:In my case, I DO NOT watch 3 hours of HULU+ in a sitting. The HULU+ app problem occurs every single time I use it. After only a few minutes of use. And although there are lots of threads perhaps, it hasn't seemed to lead to any fix to the problem. I'm not really sure where to direct this concern and get some kind of results. And I can't tell if anyone who might be able to do something cares enough to do so. The problem's been around quite some time.

The place to direct your concerns is to Hulu. They own the content, they wrote the channel and they maintain the channel.

Roku does, at times, contact channel owners about bugs and the will, also at times, provide assitance but they do not write the channels and they do not maintain them.

I am sure that Hulu has been made aware of the reported issues and I am also fairly sure that they have looked into it but, and this is just a guess, I also believe they cannot replicate the problem with any degree of consistency.

Personally I wish Roku did take a bit more of a part in fixing bugs it at least the major channels but the mostly hands off policy is one of big strengths of having a mostly open channel system however it is also a weakness.

There is a bug in the Netflix app where it forgets what position the queue was in and reverts to position 3 at times only on Roku 2 devices. That bug has been around for about a year but it has never been fixed and it has not even been acknowledged as a bug by Netflix but there are several users that are having the issue. If Roku had control of the code I believe they could fix it but they don't and it still is not fixed. Your problem is, probably, no different. Roku probably "could" fix it but Hulu either can't or won't, or cannot reproduce it.

My bugging of Netflix about my problem has had no effect but I hope you, and others, bugging Hulu about this problem might; at least it can't hurt.
Gilgamesh

Postby mbratch » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:26 pm

Yes, good point. I realize it's the app developer, not the app platform at fault here. I would be surprised if HULU can't reproduce this issue. It seems fairly rampant. I will attempt to contact them (although I'm sure many others have). Heck, I'd be happy to send them one of my Roku boxes to try if it helped (as long as they sent it back!). They both fail the same way. I've got a speedy internet connection, and one of my Rokus is connected with wires, not wireless.
mbratch

Postby dwanthny » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:39 pm

mbratch wrote:In my case, I DO NOT watch 3 hours of HULU+ in a sitting. The HULU+ app problem occurs every single time I use it. After only a few minutes of use. And although there are lots of threads perhaps, it hasn't seemed to lead to any fix to the problem.

There are a lot of threads on a general Hulu+ problem that seems to take quite a while take effect. This is the first time I noticed users referring to an immediate problem when entering and using Hulu+

mbratch wrote:I would be surprised if HULU can't reproduce this issue. It seems fairly rampant.

From my experience with Hulu+ isolating the problem might be harder then you would think. I can go into Hulu+ and use it all day with no problem. My Roku2 XS does need rebooting every now and then and this happens more often while in Hulu+, but it happens in virtually any channel at any time. Today I went to three channels before I realized the Roku needed a reboot (none of these channels was Hulu+) once rebooted the device will work for days before getting fussy again.

Since I don't ever see the problem to the degree that you experience the problem recreating the problem might be difficult.

Good Luck.
:idea: 20GB of Free CLOUD STORAGE: For a limited time you can use this link https://copy.com?r=lB3oTH to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
dwanthny

Postby mbratch » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:49 am

dwanthny wrote:Since I don't ever see the problem to the degree that you experience the problem recreating the problem might be difficult.

Yes, I do understand that. I work in an industry that designs, develops, manufactures, and supports technical products. Some problems are difficult to replicate. Like I said, I'm willing to ship them one of the two Roku XD|S units I have that both exhibit the problem if Hulu+ or Roku are willing to use it to resolve the issue. And if the problem is that inconsistent unit to unit, who investigates that fact? I think it's simply written off as, "Oh it must just be the user's setup, not the fault of the software or the hardware". In my case, I have high speed internet and a wired connection. I think I've eliminated some of those supposed causes. Is someone either at Roku or Hulu+ trying to determine if there's a common thread between the failing cases and the non-failing cases (comparing setup, internet access type, firmware version, etc)? I'll drop back to my comment that it seems they've lost interest in the problem. Is it only because not everyone or not a majority experience it?
mbratch

Postby taomaster99 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:53 am

I wonder if with the new Roku 3 if this will be a problem now, maybe it was just processor intensive and with the new more powerfull processor it will work better now (I only ever had a problem with the Roku channel and it worked fine on the Wii and xbox 360)!
taomaster99

Postby optikhog » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:34 am

taomaster99 wrote:I wonder if with the new Roku 3 if this will be a problem now, maybe it was just processor intensive and with the new more powerfull processor it will work better now (I only ever had a problem with the Roku channel and it worked fine on the Wii and xbox 360)!

I have held my tongue on Hulu Plus - the experience has been awful on all of my Roku 2 boxes - lockups, random freakouts, etc. Roku 3 has finally resolved those issues and we're now using the channel as I had originally hoped. Finally.
optikhog

Postby jeffrok » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:39 am

Hulu+'s interface is just such a resource hog that the R1 and R2 can't handle it.. Nobody comes out and admits it, but that's what it is..

Proof? The R3 runs it great.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok

Postby Frankp999 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:02 am

jeffrok wrote:Hulu+'s interface is just such a resource hog that the R1 and R2 can't handle it.. Nobody comes out and admits it, but that's what it is..

Proof? The R3 runs it great.

I agree. I have fewer issues on Hulu+ with the R3. R2 mostly worked but was very sluggish.
Frankp999

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion