Connecting to non-HDMI receiver

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Connecting to non-HDMI receiver

Postby ChiPat » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:07 pm

Purchased a Roku HD approx 1 week ago. Love it. Trying to get Dolby 5.1 to work for watching movies from Amazon instant video. Roku is connected to TV (a few years old -- Toshiba Regza) via HDMI, but receiver (NAD 753) is older and does not have an HDMI input. It has RCA input and a digital optical (toslink?) input, and is Dolby capable. Connecting Roku to receiver via RCA cables gives stereo, but not Dolby. (It's the center channel for dialogue that I'm after -- getting old and ears are going. )

One possible solution seems to be getting an HDMI splitter, running HDMI from Roku into splitter, then HDMI out to TV and digital audio out to receiver. My non-technical brain thinks this would work, since I'm maintaining a digital signal. Anyone tried this, or know whether an HDMI signal split into digital audio would maintain the data necessary to give me multichannel audio?

FWIW, I asked Roku support, and they said, "Never tried it. Dunno." Trying to gather more data before I plunk down 50 smackers on an HDMI splitter. Thanks for any help.
ChiPat

Re: Connecting to non-HDMI receiver

Postby knuckle » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:26 pm

Hi ChiPat,

I would love to say it will work in fact it SHOULD work but unfortuneately HDMI on some sets can be a picky pain in the rear and I forsee an HDCP handshake issue and a flashing screen,would your local tv guy let you try one with an option of returning it if problems arise? also watch a lot of the "bargan" type stuff to make sure that the splitter is HDCP compliant

good luck
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
all hooked wireless via Linksys WRT54G running tomato firmware

favorite channel-- Justin TV
knuckle
** Valued Community Member **

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion