HDMI and "No Signal"

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

HDMI and "No Signal"

Postby d_doering » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:04 pm

To preface, this was working earlier today.
I switched from DSL that was slow and having bandwidth issues, to Cable and wanted to see if this would improve my Roku streaming quality, so went to change it from 720 to 1080 and now I get "No Signal".

I've tried unplugging the HDMI on the TV, on the Roku box, turning off power, etc, but still stuck with "No Signal" issue.

In the past, I noticed I would often have a long delay on power up between when I turned on the TV or A/V receiver and when I would be able to see the Roku connected and my channels, but if I left the A/V receiver on and just turned the TV off, when I turned on the TV I was still at the same menu / channel on Roku.

Roku 2 XS
Model 3100X
Serial No: 13a18c163644
Samsung model LN528550K1FXZA
through Onkyo TX_SR606 receiver

Problem with HDMI and "No Signal"

Can't tell what software version the box is running, since I can't get to the Roku settings and see anything.

If I unplug the Roku, and reconnect, I see the bouncing ROKU displayed so a signal is getting to the TV, then it goes away and I am left with the "No Signal".

My internet connection to the Roku is through ethernet.

I don't see why the internet connection would be causing any issue though, so this looks to be settings or HDMI compatibility problem since I tried to go from 720 to 1080.

I know a signal can get through since I see the Roku startup display, why it then loses signal and basically renders itself unusable I don't understand.

Do I need to reset the Roku box?

Is there any reason why I shouldn't be able to do 1080p?
d_doering

Re: HDMI and "No Signal"

Postby Gilgamesh » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:14 pm

The symptom you are describing is often caused by selecting 1080p on the Roku but having a TV that only accepts 1080i.

The easiest thing to do is disconnect the HDMI cable and temporarily hook up with the supplied RCA cables. (Be sure to select the RCA inputs on your TV) Then navigate to the settings menu and select 720p.

Failing that you can do a factory reset. Using a paper clip or some such press and hold the reset button on the back of your Roku for at least 30 seconds.

One of those should get you back working if my guess is correct.
Gilgamesh

Postby d_doering » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:04 pm

Well the tv is supposed to be a 1080p tv, not sure if there is an issue with the a/v passing the hdmi signal through, and there apparently are some hdmi switching problems with the onkyo (so that may be my other issue that I see it takes a long time to recognize the roku but once up it was streaming)

I'm going to reset the Roku box, maybe I'll play with a direct HDMI to the TV if I get around to reconnecting and moving all the components.

I know the receiver limits the upconversion to 1080i for analog sources, but I thought for hdmi it should just pass through the 1080p signal.

Connectivity Audio soundtrack capabilities
HDMI inputs 4 Passes Dolby Digital and DTS via HDMI Yes
Component video inputs 2 Passes LPCM via HDMI Yes
AV inputs with S-Video 4 (4 rear, 1 front without S-Video) Decodes Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Yes
Optical inputs 2 Video capabilities
Coaxial inputs 2 HDMI version 1.3
Selectable HD sources 6 1080p via HDMI Yes
Satellite radio Sirius ready 1080p via component Yes
Network audio No Upconverts analog sources Yes
Phono input No Deinterlaces 480i via HDMI Yes
Analog multichannel input Yes Selectable output resolution Yes

seems silly that the hdmi would limit it somehow in the receiver, but I don't have the patience at the moment, resetting the roku and relinking it and it is "working" again, so I assume it is some problem with the roku and using 1080p due to a problem with the Onkyo even though the tv and the receiver should both allow it.
d_doering

Postby jpeter1093 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:58 am

My Pioneer Elite receiver will NOT pass a 1080p signal to my 1080p projector; only 1080i maximum.
jpeter1093

Postby Gilgamesh » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:18 am

jpeter1093 wrote:My Pioneer Elite receiver will NOT pass a 1080p signal to my 1080p projector; only 1080i maximum.

Then you will need to set your Rok2 to 720p.
Gilgamesh

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion