Maybe there's a Viki channel on the way?

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Maybe there's a Viki channel on the way?

Postby LizJ » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:15 pm

Just noticed over on the Viki community that a member says they received notice from Viki customer support in December stating that a Roku channel is in the final stages of development!

For those who aren't familiar with viki.com, it's a little bit like DramaFever (lots of Korean dramas, but also music, classic American films, anime, and some other foreign dramas) and a little bit like Crackle (free, but includes commercials on the mobile apps so I suspect they will on Roku). Of note, they carried Queen In-Hyun's Man and Panda & Hedgehog last year (and still have them), and DramaFever didn't carry them.
LizJ

Yes, there's a Viki channel on the way!!!

Postby LizJ » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:23 pm

BTW...I have confirmed from the company itself that Viki is coming to Roku. It's already available in the UK and is a beta in the U.S. I have asked if it's ok to pass along the channel code but haven't gotten a response yet.
LizJ

Re: Maybe there's a Viki channel on the way?

Postby kdramafan89 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:41 pm

Whats the code for Viki channel please?? Ive been waiting for the Viki Roku Channel for over a year!! Im psyched=)
kdramafan89

Postby beq » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:59 pm

Sorry to bump an old thread, but does anyone have any Viki news for the U.S. channel store?

LizJ wrote:I posted in another thread that the Viki beta is definitely the least-functional UI I have seen on Roku. Maybe some of you in the UK can tell me if the Viki channel you have (which I understand is already available in the channel store for you folks) is the same as what I'm experiencing.

The app uses a physical layout similar to Netflix's app. A title (in this case, genre) appears above a scrolling row. However, instead of showing a show title in the row itself, it shows individual episodes of multiple shows. You have to scroll through all available episodes of one show to find the next show (yes, at least they put the show's episodes together). The shows are not in alphabetical order.

There is no search functionality.

The amount of content is much smaller than what is available on the iPad app.

Viki does not have a subscription model, the episodes are free if you don't mind advertising, but they charge $1.99 an episode if you want to watch without commercials.

Sorry to hear that LizJ, may I ask if the UI and content have been improved since?

I was also hoping to be able to get my family some kind of ad-free Viki subscription, without having to pay per episode (to complement their DF/Crunchy/AsianCrush+ subs) :(
beq

Postby beq » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:32 pm

Well it looks like there's now an ad-free Viki Pass subscription.

But still no news of the USA Roku channel?
beq

Postby beq » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:32 pm

Not sure what's going on, Viki rep told me this last month:

At this point, we don't have plans to release an app for Roku. We do appreciate your feedback, though, as we are always searching for ways to improve our community's experience. That said, I will be sure to express your opinion to the team here at Viki. And if you have any further comments or suggestions, don't hesitate to let me know.

Thank you very much for your patience, and for signing up for Viki Pass. I hope you're enjoying your ad-free experience!

But threads like this and this are still hopeful...
beq

Postby beq » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:56 am

Had pointed Viki support to this thread, no further response yet.

They've been otherwise busy with other app updates this month, including Chromecast support and a major iOS revamp. But no Roku I guess?
beq

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion