Netflix Starts Offering 'Super HD' and 3D Streams

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: Netflix Starts Offering 'Super HD' and 3D Streams

Postby trekkeriii » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:50 am

knuckle wrote:Hey Trek.

how much does that 50 down on wow run a month?

Well I get Basic Cable package (Unencrypted QAM) + 50/5 Internet for $121.30 total (fees included).

Can Roku staff confirm this is a feature on Roku yet? Just curious as Netflix seems to be indicating this is a current feature on selected devices. I just tried "White Christmas" this morning on Roku (since it's mentioned as a SuperHD title). It looks like it's Higher Quality than most, but I don't know without it saying in the description that it's SuperHD on the Roku.
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Postby reaper88 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:04 am

I checked just for the <The entropy of a perfect crystal, at absolute zero kelvin, is exactly equal to zero. - Third Law of Thermodynamics> of it and my isp is set up for this..cool..but i dont have a 1080p tv so im just wondering now if this will effect my 720p veiwing at all...guess i will wait and see
reaper88

Postby mikeyts » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:36 am

reaper88 wrote:I checked just for the <The entropy of a perfect crystal, at absolute zero kelvin, is exactly equal to zero. - Third Law of Thermodynamics> of it and my isp is set up for this..cool..but i dont have a 1080p tv so im just wondering now if this will effect my 720p veiwing at all...guess i will wait and see

Roku's Netflix player won't access the 1080p stream with your output resolution set to 720p. I suppose that if you set the output res to 1080p Roku will send that and your TV's scaler will downconvert, but will that give you a superior picture than the 720p encodes?
mikeyts

Postby reaper88 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:36 pm

mikeyts wrote:
reaper88 wrote:I checked just for the <The entropy of a perfect crystal, at absolute zero kelvin, is exactly equal to zero. - Third Law of Thermodynamics> of it and my isp is set up for this..cool..but i dont have a 1080p tv so im just wondering now if this will effect my 720p veiwing at all...guess i will wait and see

Roku's Netflix player won't access the 1080p stream with your output resolution set to 720p. I suppose that if you set the output res to 1080p Roku will send that and your TV's scaler will downconvert, but will that give you a superior picture than the 720p encodes?

Sorry let me clarify. i was wondering if i will just always get the best possible quality on anything i stream thru nexflix now that this is in place. I cant imagine setting it to 1080p on a 720p tv would change anything..
reaper88

Postby mikebdoss » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:47 pm

I'm wondering if anyone would really be able to tell the difference in a blind test between current HD streaming and the SuperHD. I'm betting "not most people".
mikebdoss

Postby mikeyts » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:15 pm

reaper88 wrote:Sorry let me clarify. i was wondering if i will just always get the best possible quality on anything i stream thru nexflix now that this is in place. I cant imagine setting it to 1080p on a 720p tv would change anything..

The Adaptive Bit-rate Streaming algorithm should always ramp up to the highest bit rate encode available to you that fits in the resolution you've set (of the several devices I have which stream Netflix, only two will stream the 1080p encode when their output is constrained to 720p, being my TiVo Premiere and my Panasonic DMP-BDT220 BDP). There are people who've complained in this forum that the ABS Netflix player on Roku 2 doesn't work properly for them. Since Netflix gives a list of Super HD compatible devices maybe not all 1080p-capable Netflix players can stream Super HD yet. (God, "Super HD" is a stupidly pretensions name :roll:).
mikeyts

Postby mkiker2089 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:21 pm

I wonder if this is just a way for Netflix to strong arm people's isps. If yours isn't on the list then like Comcast they want Netflix to pay for the bandwidth the entire way (which is wrong and stupid) and if it is then they accept net neutrality (you pay for the part you use, including halfway to Netflix). Again, just a guess and theory.

Anyway, a little more bandwidth might be nice. Even Vudu has some issues with motion on dark scenes. It's getting better though. I still think the answer is better encoding however. I can encode things locally and use less bandwidth. It takes a day to read them up to 7 times and detect slow scenes versus fast scenes, but it's worth it. They just have to get the maths right. They are improving so a year from now maybe all this will be moot.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby mkiker2089 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:36 pm

mikeyts wrote:
DerekHelps wrote:LOL a film from 1954 is in superHD?

It's shot to film so the transfer could be sharp--who knows?

Though it claims to be ordinary HD, it never gets above High/SD on the PS3 and it's one of those titles which can't be watched in HD on the PC.

I get HD on my PS3, not Super though as Time Warner isn't ready yet. It just shows HD on my PS3 as well which is curious. I know they often hide qualities you can't play but if I were them I'd show super on everyones machine. The idea is after all to force the ISPs to become free CDNs for Netflix. I agree with net nuetraility but the open connect thing is taking it a bit far in my opinion.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby mikeyts » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:18 am

I found an answer to my question about Super HD bit rates. Someone on a small ISP in San Francisco (Sonic.Net) posted a snap of "Example Short 23.976" running in the Windows 8 app with the Stream Manager showing on AVS Forum, here. You can see the full resolution version of that shot by right-clicking it and dragging it into the new tab control on your browser and hitting F11 to blow it up fullscreen. In addition to the 2350-, 3000- (both 720p) and 3850 Kbps (1080p) encodes you can get without Super HD, there are also 4300- and 5800 Kbps 1080p encodes. That 5800 Kbps is a 50% increase over 3850 Kbps--should be nice.
mikeyts

Postby Crow550 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:34 am

So there is no real way of knowing how many Titles are "Super" HD? Just like there is no real way of telling which are 720P or 1080P.... Great.... You use to be able to to tell what stream was playing. Would be nice if when you pressed down the remote that displays the Title of the film if it also displayed the current stream too.

Anyone excited about them having 3D rentals? Now if they offered 3D Blu-Rays too.

Been the thing holding me back from getting a 3DTV lack of 3D content.... If I could rent 3D Blu-Rays through RedBox & Netflix as well as streaming I would be more inclined. I think that's the case with most people too. Also having some Over The Air content would be nice too. Like a sub channel used for sport games in 3D. Also not charging extra for the 3D Blu-Ray versions of 3D movies!

Another topic is the glasses but most seem to prefer passive due to the price of getting multiple pairs being cheaper than Active Shutter or upcoming glasses free tech(Check Vizios glasses free demo at CES. Much better than Toshibas face tracking from last year). However this is something for another topic.

3D has a lot of hurdles to still go through. Gaming is really where it's at IMO. However as far as video content goes hopefully Netflix is a step in the right direction to help give 3DTVs a better selling point.

However how fast of a connection do you need for streaming 3D?
Crow550

Postby Desert Dingo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:42 am

mikebdoss wrote:I'm wondering if anyone would really be able to tell the difference in a blind test between current HD streaming and the SuperHD. I'm betting "not most people".

+1. I would agree on that bet.
Desert Dingo

Postby Crow550 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:54 am

mikebdoss wrote:I'm wondering if anyone would really be able to tell the difference in a blind test between current HD streaming and the SuperHD. I'm betting "not most people".

Or 720P vs. 1080P with streaming video watch something in 720P then 1080P on the Roku and see if you can spot a difference. Which screen size and distance will play a part too.
Last edited by Crow550 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crow550

Postby philsoft » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:58 am

This article is a little old, but I think it makes the HD vs SD point pretty well

http://www.cepro.com/article/hd_or_sd_s ... difference
philsoft

Postby bozzy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:56 am

mkiker2089 wrote:I wonder if this is just a way for Netflix to strong arm people's isps.

Netflix is providing these OpenConnect servers for free to ISPs. It is really for their benefit to accept them as it let's them segregate Netflix data from the rest of their network. Supposedly this would be good for the ISPs.
bozzy

Postby mikeyts » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:46 pm

Crow550 wrote:Or 720P vs. 1080P with streaming video watch something in 720P then 1080P on the Roku and see if you can spot a difference. Which screen size and distance will play a part too.

Here you go--see if you can tell the difference (I've presented this example to people in forums so often that I canned it):
One of my favorite comparisons of Netflix HD resolutions is a frame from the title sequence of a film called The Resident; it's full of tiny details in which it's fairly easy to see the difference in sharpness between the Netflix 1080p encode and the 720p one upon comparison.

I like to use the Chrome browser to compare these because in Chrome fullscreen is fullscreen, with no horizontal or verticle scroll bars. If you're reading this post in Chrome, just drag one of the screenshot links in the paragraph above to the new tab control on the far right of the open tabs in this window. Drag the tab created by that off into its own window then drag the other link into that window's new tab control. With that window selected, hit F11 to go fullscreen, then CTRL-TAB to instantly switch back and forth between the images.

Those screenshots were collected by forum member msgohan and originally posted in his "Netflix PS3 streaming comparison PIX" thread. Sadly ImageShack converted all of the myriad 1920x1080 HDMI screen captures posted in the thread into 800x400 reductions. I'd copied off a few to my PC, including these two.
mikeyts

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion