HBO GO Excruciatingly Slow

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

HBO GO Excruciatingly Slow

Postby blue2noise » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:25 am

Hello everyone,

Just picked up a Roku 2 XD specifically for HBOGO (I already have the WD & AppleTV) for use with my FiOS service. The other channels on the Roku (Netflix, Amazon) stream fine , but HBOGo is taking so long for the video to start (1-2 minutes at times).

Is this normal for HBOGo on the Roku? Is it a known issue? It cant be my internet connection because to other channels are fine.

Any suggestions or is this just the way it is?

Thanks!
blue2noise

Re: HBO GO Excruciatingly Slow

Postby mikeyts » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:01 pm

For me it takes 15 seconds to start the player and six seconds to start a stream. Something is probably wrong but I don't have any suggestions as to what it might be.
mikeyts

Postby blue2noise » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:27 pm

Strange. It's just odd that it's only HBOGo. The iPad app and computer play right away, so it cant be FiOS
blue2noise

Postby mikebdoss » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:54 pm

blue2noise wrote:Strange. It's just odd that it's only HBOGo. The iPad app and computer play right away, so it cant be FiOS

The stream for the Roku likely comes from a different server, and very likely is much larger than the stream for either of those devices. If you've got one slow hop between you and HBO's servers, it could explain the problems you're seeing.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby blue2noise » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:00 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
blue2noise wrote:Strange. It's just odd that it's only HBOGo. The iPad app and computer play right away, so it cant be FiOS

The stream for the Roku likely comes from a different server, and very likely is much larger than the stream for either of those devices. If you've got one slow hop between you and HBO's servers, it could explain the problems you're seeing.

Thanks. Any idea on how to troubleshoot / change this?
blue2noise

Postby mikebdoss » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:53 pm

blue2noise wrote:
mikebdoss wrote:

Thanks. Any idea on how to troubleshoot / change this?

You could try changing the DNS settings in your router to Google's settings (instructions at https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/) - some people have had luck with that.
mikebdoss

Postby cma3 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:49 pm

i'm surprised more people are not chiming in on this. There is absolutely a problem here. All my devices (3 ipads, 2 iphones, 1 air, 1 macbook pro, 1 desktop) stream HBOGO without a hitch from the same network ...except any of my rokus. I have 3 rokus (roku HD, roku2 XD and Roku 2 XS). I've tried all known workarounds (reinstalling app, DNS, bouncing roku, reseting router, etc) Nothing fixes this and each time a fix was attempted a test was made on other devices... all other devices worked perfectly.

There is something going on here with the Roku/HBOGO combo.

My life with HBOGo on Roku can be summarized like this:

Loading, please wait
______

quality ****
cma3

Postby mkiker2089 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:02 pm

Could be the remote. Some channels are getting interference with the BT remote.

The DNS no longer determines where your feed comes from. Servers use geolocation for that now and read it from your IP and the data your ISP sends with it.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby mikebdoss » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:16 pm

None of those items likely stream at the same quality as the Roku, either, so the necessary speeds are lower.
mikebdoss

Postby cma3 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:24 am

mkiker2089 wrote:Could be the remote. Some channels are getting interference with the BT remote.

The DNS no longer determines where your feed comes from. Servers use geolocation for that now and read it from your IP and the data your ISP sends with it.

Just to follow up, as far as the remote is concerned -- I have no BT devices (specifically, devices with BT but turned off).

Interesting about DNS though.
cma3

Postby cma3 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:26 am

mikebdoss wrote:None of those items likely stream at the same quality as the Roku, either, so the necessary speeds are lower.

Couldn't the same be said for Netflix, Hulu and every other channel?

Yet those run fine. Unless they are completely down, but thats another story...
cma3

Postby mikebdoss » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:32 am

cma3 wrote:
mikebdoss wrote:None of those items likely stream at the same quality as the Roku, either, so the necessary speeds are lower.

Couldn't the same be said for Netflix, Hulu and every other channel?

Yet those run fine. Unless they are completely down, but thats another story...

Yes, but if you have a slow link in the chain between you and HBOGo's servers, it could explain why lower bandwidth streams work (to your other devices), but higher quality streams don't (to you Roku).

Further, some devices and some providers use different content delivery networks depending on the device. This means that your connection for some devices could be different than where your Roku is trying to pull from. I'm not sure HBOGo does this, but Netflix does.
mikebdoss

Postby Dick Drivel » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:48 am

I am not an HBO GO subscriber, but when I click on the channel it takes up to 1 minute for the first window to appear. After that if I select a "preview stream", it can take up to a further minute for it to connect.
When I access it on my TV's built-in app, it takes about half that, but still long enough to be irritating - must be some kind of general glitch that they haven't sorted out yet.
Dick Drivel

Postby cma3 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:53 am

Ok just to follow up on this... further testing using Debug mode on the Roku has now lead me to believe that my ISP may be throttling the connection to the HBOGO stream.

More info and reiteration:
Im an on DSL. I get a solid 10+megs. Everything but HBOGO streams perfectly. Furthermore, I can fire up my ps3 and get on any multiplayer game and play vs 30 people all over the world with ZERO lag. Also, I use Netflix and Hulu+ regularly. These continue to operate without a hitch. Using multiple ipads or iphones and HBOGo runs fine.

To be sure I went to a friends house approx 10 miles from my home and hes on Bright House cable... We used my account and there was barely a load screen for hbogo. It simply plays normally for any show or movie we picked.

On to the Roku in debug mode. While in debug mode all channels I use regularly report on avg the use of a stream coming in at 1.5m of 10m available.

What the does debug mode report on HBOGO? 0.5m of 0.8m ... HUH?

My speed on the Roku was set to Automatic... I tried setting it to every other value, after reading in another forum that going to 1.5m fixes this issue -- it did not for me. Frankly, it got worse. Also attempted changing Audio settings from 5.1 (which I have) to Stereo. This apparently did nothing for me as well.

I will be calling my ISP (CenturyLink) in the next few days to see what they say. I will continue to gather information to provide to them and for myself (and the forum) before I make the call.

My advice to anyone going through this, activate DEBUG MODE on the Roku: from the Home screen press Home 5x , Rewind 3x and FF 2x
cma3

Postby mikebdoss » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:29 am

They're not throttling you, at least not on purpose. I'm pretty sure that's against the law (to just throttle you on one service). It's just a slow connection somewhere between them and HBOGo's servers. I'd still suggest calling them, but there might not be anything they can do.
mikebdoss

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion