HBO GO Excruciatingly Slow

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: HBO GO Excruciatingly Slow

Postby dray » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:15 pm

I have CenturyLink as well and it is painfully annoyingly slow..., Loading, please wait.... With CenturyLink, you have to be a Prism customer (their IPTV service) in order to activate your ROKU player. I don't have Prism in my area so I use my buddy's BrightHouse account and it wouldn't surprise me if it indeed was being throttled due to my internet ip not being a BrightHouse IP...sucks...HBOgo is the ONLY reason I bought the dang ROKU...
dray

Postby cma3 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:26 pm

dray wrote:I have CenturyLink as well and it is painfully annoyingly slow..., Loading, please wait.... With CenturyLink, you have to be a Prism customer (their IPTV service) in order to activate your ROKU player. I don't have Prism in my area so I use my buddy's BrightHouse account and it wouldn't surprise me if it indeed was being throttled due to my internet ip not being a BrightHouse IP...sucks...HBOgo is the ONLY reason I bought the dang ROKU...

I dont have, and never will have PrismTV, just straight DSL -- you do not need a prism account to activate your Roku - now that, Im pretty sure, would be illegal. I have 3 Rokus and an AppleTV -- and just a straight CL DSL account they all work. Now as for HBOGo on the Roku please read my earlier posts. As of today, that still does not work. I plan on calling CL this weekend.
cma3

Postby dray » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:42 pm

cma3 wrote:
dray wrote:I have CenturyLink as well and it is painfully annoyingly slow..., Loading, please wait.... With CenturyLink, you have to be a Prism customer (their IPTV service) in order to activate your ROKU player. I don't have Prism in my area so I use my buddy's BrightHouse account and it wouldn't surprise me if it indeed was being throttled due to my internet ip not being a BrightHouse IP...sucks...HBOgo is the ONLY reason I bought the dang ROKU...

-- you do not need a prism account to activate your Roku - now that, Im pretty sure, would be illegal.

Let me correct myself: You need to have a cable TV/ satellite service to activate HBOgo on your ROKU. eg: Timewarner, BrightHouse, Fios etc... I have Directv who don't partake in the ROKU services...let me know what CL tells you.

see here:
http://www.hbogo.com/activate/#affiliate_grid
dray

Postby cma3 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:32 am

Ok the issue as of this morning is fixed.

HBOGO via the Roku on DSL is operational.

The cause? Being double NAT'ed.

The fix? Set your DSL Modem to Bridge mode.

If anyone wants to test along side -- follow these steps:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2283354_bridge- ... modem.html

depending on the firmware of your CL 660 modem there may be more steps above than you need. I didnt have to log in or do any of the 'ignore' steps. The modem was wide open. I simply found the area under Networking that had the mode set to Routing and there is a button there that simply states Change Mode to Bridging.

Bounce your devices and you are good to go. If you are also using PS3 it will improve all connectivity as well (make sure the ps3 is on the DMZ in your router and make sure UPnP is enabled as well).

This is a new modem, and i never bridged it. My last DSL modem was bridged years ago and i never revisited it until now.

Hope this helps.
cma3

Postby dray » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:17 pm

Double NAT'ed as in you had two devices routing your network? In other words, CL 660 routing to a say a Linksys wireless router and so forth?
dray

Postby cma3 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:11 am

dray wrote:Double NAT'ed as in you had two devices routing your network? In other words, CL 660 routing to a say a Linksys wireless router and so forth?

Correct. The 660 was routing and my Linksys was routing. This was causing addressing issues.

Update: Yesterday (saturday) afternoon into the evening there were some problems streaming hbogo. Once again, only a portion of my bandwidth was seen and the middle of watching a movie already in session -- we were interrupted, twice. Debug mode showed 0.5Mbps of 0.8Mbps. Shifting to Netflix and then Hulu+, these played fine. The issue cleared up an hour later.

I am convinced that the combination of of DSL @ 10Mbps or lower and the current HBOgo stream from my location in Florida will have intermittent issues. There are several forum posts discussing HBOGO's streaming protocols as opposed to Netflix's or Hulu's and I believe this to be correct as well. I do not have any other options at my location for better connectivity. Although CL service goes up to 40Mbps, this is not available to me.

So ultimately, simply based on my tests it is a bandwidth/connectivity issue. None of my friends using cable are experiencing any issues whatsoever.

If anything else comes up I will post it here.

Thanks.
cma3

Postby dray » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:49 pm

10 meg download should be more than enough. HBOGO needs to be updated to work better.
dray

Postby marsradio » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:59 pm

Sorry...I just posted about this before realizing that this thread was already here. Will see if I can delete my post.
YES...HBO Go had been HIDEOUS lately. Tonight, concurrent with another massive Netflix outage, it is simply unusable.
If I find out that these problems of late are because of Roku, I'm going to seriously consider tossing my box. HBO is coming to Apple TV. So, it's either that or I'm ready to just run HDMI from my PC to my TV. I'm sick of these outages always affecting my set top box, yet it works fine on my PC and iPad.
marsradio

Postby mikebdoss » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:48 pm

marsradio wrote:Sorry...I just posted about this before realizing that this thread was already here. Will see if I can delete my post.
YES...HBO Go had been HIDEOUS lately. Tonight, concurrent with another massive Netflix outage, it is simply unusable.
If I find out that these problems of late are because of Roku, I'm going to seriously consider tossing my box. HBO is coming to Apple TV. So, it's either that or I'm ready to just run HDMI from my PC to my TV. I'm sick of these outages always affecting my set top box, yet it works fine on my PC and iPad.

Your set-top box uses a different, higher quality stream than your PC and iPad. The problem is entirely HBOGo's (and Netflix's, tonight).

You can throw your Roku away, but it won't do you any good.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby dray » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:06 pm

Let's all be patient and wait for HBOGO to get up off their arses and get us a friggin update already :D
dray

Postby AnotherRokuUser » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:55 pm

I had slow download problems & low quality this weekend. Power cycled my Roku2 XD and it worked perfect after that. Don't want to say that fixes your problem, but just saying.
AnotherRokuUser

Postby Bprillamanutt » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:24 pm

I have the same problem with HBO Go always stopping and loading. Netflix and everything else runs fine.
Bprillamanutt

Postby cma3 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:57 pm

Yeah, just following up and giving an update on my situation (detailed above)....

its not fixed. there is definitely an issue here, as stated repeatedly above.

i too hope it gets fixed.... or more importantly, that HBO's streaming service (read ala carte) actually happens. (im not holding my breath on this)
cma3

Postby BobBreton » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:16 pm

We use CenturyLink DSL service and ROKU, HBOGO is next to impossible to use for the last few days, keeps buffering over and over again, NetFlix, HULU+, Crackle, AMAZON Prime all stream great but HBOGO buffers every 30 seconds
BobBreton

Postby mikebdoss » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:49 pm

BobBreton wrote:We use CenturyLink DSL service and ROKU, HBOGO is next to impossible to use for the last few days, keeps buffering over and over again, NetFlix, HULU+, Crackle, AMAZON Prime all stream great but HBOGO buffers every 30 seconds

Blame Game of Thrones. More people are using HBOGo this week than they likely ever have.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion