Does Roku hate Plex

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Does Roku hate Plex

Postby jcbartlett » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:08 pm

They never want to play along properly.

I'm on a Mac that has been made to do nothing but run Plex for myself and others. The web client is kinda of my go-to when it comes to fixing settings and dealing with things like audio and subtitles. I can stream to iPhones, iPads, and every single kind of Android device in a split second in perfect working order across the board even with 1 bar of signal. But getting my Roku to load a movie in any time less than 5 minutes is a miracle. The Rokus settings have been set from lowest dialup quality to 20mps 1080 and everything in-between. I'm on Fiber Optic with 150mps for the house so wifi is not an issue. I've even moved the box right next to the router!

So it takes forever to load the movie and then things like subs and audio are all out of whack. And if I try to correct anything I have to leave the movie, go back to the menu, change it, and then wait some more for the reload (Plex - please do something about using the Options button while in a movie so I can avoid this). Plex was the whole reason I bought a Roku after using WDTV for so long. So is it a firmware issue? Is it something Plex can do or is this up to the guys at Roku to get off their butts and work on?

I hear Roku is adding like a thousand new channels this year and I can do is shake my head.
jcbartlett

Re: Does Roku hate Plex

Postby TheEndless » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:17 pm

The Plex channel on Roku is developed and supported by Plex, not Roku, so no need to shake your head at Roku. You'll probably have better luck asking over on Plex's forums: http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/for ... g-players/

For what it's worth, I use Plex on my Roku all the time, and videos always start streaming for me within 10-20 seconds.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Postby socantra » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:27 pm

+1.
I don't use Plex myself, but there are many, many people using Plex on Roku who rave about how well it works on this forum.

It is unfortunate you are having problems, but if you check into the Plex forums and follow some of the threads on this forum, it would probably be more productive than looking for someone to blame for your issues, which do not seem at all typical.

Your choice. :)
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra

Postby buenafe » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:45 pm

I recently discovered the merits (and challenges) of Plex on Roku.
I plan to get a smart TV compatible with Plex in case Roku in the future.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
current: two roku XDS 2xs, dtvpal, boxeebox, kylo.tv,
radar: wdlxtv.com
buenafe

Postby roquoonewbie » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:30 pm

The use of Plex violates the Terms of Service of Hulu, so it cannot be supported by Roku or discussed on these forums. Please contact Plex if you have questions.
roquoonewbie

Postby TheEndless » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:54 pm

roquoonewbie wrote:The use of Plex violates the Terms of Service of Hulu, so it cannot be supported by Roku or discussed on these forums. Please contact Plex if you have questions.

Incorrect. The use of the Hulu plugin for Plex maybe, but certainly not the use of Plex itself. The Hulu plugin isn't even available from the "channel directory" in the Roku Plex channel. I'm sure there are quite a few more that are filtered out as well to ensure compliance with the developer agreement.

Regardless, the OP isn't asking about the use of plugins. He's asking about local video playback, which is Plex's primary purpose, and isn't prohibited from discussion here, but he's much more likely to receive more valuable help from the Plex forums (as linked above).
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby roquoonewbie » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:37 pm

If that is the case, then discussion about PlayOn (not involving Hulu) would also be allowed, but it is not.
roquoonewbie

Postby raaurora » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:21 am

jcbartlett wrote:They never want to play along properly.

I'm on a Mac that has been made to do nothing but run Plex for myself and others. T

I hear Roku is adding like a thousand new channels this year and I can do is shake my head.

FWIW I've tried a couple of the streaming channels and Plex seems to work the best so far. So it can be made to work. Candidly I don't know a lot about the Mac platform. I'm running the Plex server on a 64 bit windows 7 pro machine. I would be curious if others having problems have any correlation to Mac v. win for the server.

Sometimes for weird networking issues I've found it is helpful to turn off the firewall and AVS on the host and see if the problem goes away. Obviously that is not a fix but it might help point to what you need to do to correct the problem - i.e., exceptions in the Firewall or AVS, etc.

good luck.
raaurora

Postby optikhog » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:28 am

roquoonewbie wrote:If that is the case, then discussion about PlayOn (not involving Hulu) would also be allowed, but it is not.

No. That channel actively markets itself as a way to watch Hulu without a subscription - check the channel store on your Roku and see which of these is readily available. But I suspect you will get this thread locked for mentioning the "other" guys.
optikhog

Postby roquoonewbie » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:31 am

Plex actively markets Hulu support as well. Check out their iPhone app page in the iTunes store. There is a Hulu logo right on the screen shot.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/plex/id383457673?mt=8

Scroll to the right image.
roquoonewbie

Postby roquoonewbie » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:32 am

optikhog wrote:
roquoonewbie wrote:If that is the case, then discussion about PlayOn (not involving Hulu) would also be allowed, but it is not.

No. That channel actively markets itself as a way to watch Hulu without a subscription - check the channel store on your Roku and see which of these is readily available. But I suspect you will get this thread locked for mentioning the "other" guys.

Plex actively markets Hulu support as well. Check out their iPhone app page in the iTunes store. There is a Hulu logo right on the screen shot.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/plex/id383457673?mt=8

Scroll to the right image.
roquoonewbie

Postby TheEndless » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:12 am

PlayOn comes with Hulu support natively. You don't have to add a plugin to enable it. Its primary use is for access to online content that isn't otherwise available on mobile and STB platforms (95% of which violates the TOU of that content), whereas Plex is primarily targeted at local content playback.

roquoonewbie wrote:Plex actively markets Hulu support as well. Check out their iPhone app page in the iTunes store. There is a Hulu logo right on the screen shot.

A logo in a screenshot for an application on a different platform hardly constitutes "actively marketing". If you want to insist that it's marketing at all, then it's passive marketing at best. I receive no less than three emails a week from PlayOn advertising support for different online content (rarely, if ever, its local content features). I've never received a single email from Plex.

Based on your join date, and your posting history, I don't think you were around when the whole PlayOn thing happened. They are solely responsible for the ban on discussions here. When they were informed by Roku that the channel in its current state violated the developer's agreement (and potentially received a DMCA complaint), instead of working with Roku to make it acceptable, they chose to not only ignore Roku by re-publishing the channel under a different code, but also posted the source code and private channel publishing instructions on their website, so they could essentially have their users flood the channel store with different private channels to make it impossible for Roku to pull it. All the while, they continued to send out marketing emails and advertise on their website to make it look like they were partners with Roku.

Plex, on the other hand, chose to work with Roku to ensure they could release a channel that was acceptable and did not violate any agreements, which presumably included filtering certain plugins from appearing in the Roku channel.

I'm not really sure why it's such a hot topic with you or why it bugs you so much, but the bottom line is, no matter how many times you post about how unfair it is, discussion of PlayOn isn't allowed here, which isn't likely to change. I'm pretty sure that ship has sailed...
TheEndless

Postby RickRansom » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:26 am

TheEndless wrote:the bottom line is, no matter how many times you post about how unfair it is, discussion of PlayOn isn't allowed here...
+1
@roquoonewbie: Not to shrug you off the wrong direction, but you can always discuss PlayOn specific topics over at their forums instead of here. Also, TheEndless pretty much sums up why PlayOn isn't such a welcome topic here. I personally use Plex and haven't gotten around trying PlayOn because I've read that the picture quality on some/most of the feeds aren't really that worth it. Free content sounds good, but I'm more of a HD-nerd guy[if there's such a term]. :)
Retired
RickRansom

Postby wzwor » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:04 pm

raaurora wrote:FWIW I've tried a couple of the streaming channels and Plex seems to work the best so far. So it can be made to work. Candidly I don't know a lot about the Mac platform. I'm running the Plex server on a 64 bit windows 7 pro machine. I would be curious if others having problems have any correlation to Mac v. win for the server.

I have PMS installed on a Win8 machine and had it on a Win7 machine before that. The Hulu channel did not work properly.
http://thebeersoncomcast.wordpress.com/
wzwor

Postby mogamer » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:04 pm

TheEndless wrote:
roquoonewbie wrote:The use of Plex violates the Terms of Service of Hulu, so it cannot be supported by Roku or discussed on these forums. Please contact Plex if you have questions.

The Hulu plugin isn't even available from the "channel directory" in the Roku Plex channel. I'm sure there are quite a few more that are filtered out as well to ensure compliance with the developer agreement.

I don't know about other Plex apps, but Hulu sure isn't being filtered. I'm watching a program this very minute on Hulu through the Roku Plex channel.
mogamer

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion