Roku XD purple screen w/ DVI to HDMI?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Roku XD purple screen w/ DVI to HDMI?

Postby tommaxwell » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:07 pm

I just connected my Roku XD to a fairly old Hyundai flat panel computer monitor, and everything was working fine until I tried to play a video. Sound plays, but as for video all I get is a purple screen. I've seen that this is a common problem from looking online, but I haven't seen anyone mention using a DVI-to-HDMI cable. It's an Amazon Basics cable that I bought a few months back. Any advice?
tommaxwell

Re: Roku XD purple screen w/ DVI to HDMI?

Postby mkiker2089 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:10 pm

The TV may not support encryption. Try other channels and see if a video will play. Acorn perhaps or a news channel. Something less likely to be locked down.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby aequinn » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:19 pm

I have had a similar problem. I am trying to connect a Roku 2XD to an older computer monitor, an NEC LCD4000. I've checked the specs. It supports 720p and 1080i and has DVI-D, which should be compatible with HDMI. The only thing I cannot confirm that it uses HDCP.
I have tried two configurations with some success....

1. HDMI to DVI-D cable for video (I am also using the Amazon Basics HDMI-DVI cable) with Computer speakers plugged in to the A/V for audio. The result is I can navigate menus, setup channels, and hear sound when I play, but I get the purple screen instead of video.

2. RWY cables provided... I can get Video, but the monitor doesn't have audio, so I need some other form of output, which I think I can hack, but before I go down that road I want to see if I can't get the HDMI to work. I can tell the menus and interface aren't as nice with the analog as it is when I'm using the HDMI and would love to get that working...

Any ideas shared here would be great.
aequinn

Postby kc8pql » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:46 pm

The only thing I cannot confirm that it uses HDCP

I'd suspect it's not given the behavior you're seeing and that there's no mention of HDCP in the specs. here: http://www.nec-display-solutions.com/p/download/pr/File/cp/Products/PublicDisplays/Supported/ID-4000/Datasheets/PDF-Datasheet-4000%28english%29_uk.pdf?fn=Datasheet+%28UK%29&e=e1s1
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby aequinn » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:56 pm

Sad day, I found an old review of the monitor before it was first released that says it does not use the protocol:http://www.avsforum.com/t/244744/nec-lcd4000-first-look

Something to look out for when attempting to use Roku with older monitors, not that there are many people trying to connect to this type of monitor anymore.

I got it for free though, so converting it into an internet TV, even with standard def, for <$100 is still a win.

Thanks kc8qpl and tommaxwell
aequinn

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion