Hulu Plus on Roku

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Hulu Plus on Roku

Postby wesley89 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:45 pm

Does anyone else have issues with Hulu Plus completely freezing up their Roku player whenever they try to use the pause or forward through a program? I never have a problem with any other channel. Sometimes it works fine but then sometimes it freezes up and all I can do is unplug the Roku. The 16 mbps doesn't seem to be the issue. -wesley
wesley89

Re: Hulu Plus on Roku

Postby philsoft » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:47 pm

Happens all the time here. I have to reboot the unit every day.
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby wesley89 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:50 pm

I had a feeling that's just the way it is. Wanted to check anyhow. Thanks -Wesley
wesley89

Postby DBDukes » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:54 am

I never have a problem with Hulu Plus (my most-used channel). So, it doesn't happen to everybody.
DBDukes
Roku 3, Roku 2 XS, Roku XD
DBDukes

Postby bennor3814 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:38 am

No freezing problems with Hulu Plus on my two Roku 2 XS's.

The only problem I used to had with Hulu Plus was with some movies (Criterion Collection) where I would get occasional stuttering (last about 2 minutes then come back a minute or two later) when first starting the movie, it would go away after 10 minutes or so, then it reoccur every 30 minutes or so later throughout the movie. Was very frustrating and made the content almost unwatchable. Hasn't happened in a few months though. It only happened with movies, hour and half hour long TV shows did not experience this issue.
bennor3814

Postby lingpanda » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:52 am

wesley89 wrote:Does anyone else have issues with Hulu Plus completely freezing up their Roku player whenever they try to use the pause or forward through a program? I never have a problem with any other channel. Sometimes it works fine but then sometimes it freezes up and all I can do is unplug the Roku. The 16 mbps doesn't seem to be the issue. -wesley

Yes happens to me as well. Mainly if I play a show then immediately try and fast forward with the right arrow key. If I press the pause button then fast forward it doesn't freeze.
lingpanda

Postby catastrophegirl » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:52 am

constantly. for almost 2 years now. they've [hulu plus] improved the channel some, but i still find it freezing, stuttering and not reponsive to the remote control often enough to annoy me
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless
speed range from ~18-20mbps
http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/
twitter: catastrophegirl
PM or tweet me if you want a channel added to my list, a correction or to update a developers' credit
catastrophegirl

Postby leakman7 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:39 pm

I've told them that I would renew my Hulu Plus subscription if they would fix their channel. I don't know what their problem is, but they don't seem to be interested in my business.
leakman7

Postby mogamer » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:32 am

leakman7 wrote:I've told them that I would renew my Hulu Plus subscription if they would fix their channel. I don't know what their problem is, but they don't seem to be interested in my business.

The fact that regular Hulu still has more programming than Hulu Plus (although at 480p and not 720p) after all this time, tells me that the owners of Hulu Plus really don't care about the service. And why should they? They want you to suscribe to cable instead.
mogamer

Postby Buckeye911 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:57 am

wesley89 wrote:Does anyone else have issues with Hulu Plus completely freezing up their Roku player whenever they try to use the pause or forward through a program? I never have a problem with any other channel. Sometimes it works fine but then sometimes it freezes up and all I can do is unplug the Roku. The 16 mbps doesn't seem to be the issue. -wesley

If I just do a fresh power cycle the pause/ff/rewind functions work fine but if it's been a day or two since the last power cycle it freezes the unit up. I wish they'd fix it.
Buckeye911

Postby wesley89 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:11 pm

I can usually tell when I pause it whether it's going to freeze up if I try to ff. Most of the time it's fine. It's not bad enough to consider dropping the service. However, It seems like the commercials on some of the programs are getting longer. I don't think I'd keep it if they keep extending them. -wesley
wesley89

Postby kb01 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:34 pm

I've had the freezing problem for as long as I've used the Hulu channel. It will randomly just get really laggy and then freeze up entirely.

I always assumed it was just too much of a resource hog for the N1000 to handle.
kb01

Postby leakman7 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:30 pm

wesley89 wrote:I can usually tell when I pause it whether it's going to freeze up if I try to ff. Most of the time it's fine. It's not bad enough to consider dropping the service. However, It seems like the commercials on some of the programs are getting longer. I don't think I'd keep it if they keep extending them. -wesley

Longer commercials and they never seem to freeze up. :D
leakman7

Postby maimom » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:09 pm

My Roku has never frozen up for any reason before today, when I tried to run Hulu Plus on it. IT was a disaster. The program totally froze almost immediately, not allowing me to use my Roku remote at all, not even to return to the Home screen. Finally, I gave up and unplugged and restarted the Roku. I check online forums for info. and duly went to my Roku settings to be sure I had all recent updates downloaded, which I did. Tried again, same result: complete freeze. So no more Hulu Plus. Too bad, Hulu Plus, you really disappointed this customer.
maimom

Postby jeffrok » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:34 pm

leakman7 wrote:
wesley89 wrote:I can usually tell when I pause it whether it's going to freeze up if I try to ff. Most of the time it's fine. It's not bad enough to consider dropping the service. However, It seems like the commercials on some of the programs are getting longer. I don't think I'd keep it if they keep extending them. -wesley

Longer commercials and they never seem to freeze up. :D

My h+ commercials experience seems to be getting better.. many breaks feature only a single 15 sec ad now.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion