Roku/Laptop/Plex

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku/Laptop/Plex

Postby AngieD300 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:13 pm

Hello...I was wondering if between my Roku & Laptop, should i hardwire the laptop or Roku when streaming movies from Plex? Right now, i just have the Roku hardwired, but laptop using wifi. There are no issues, but just want the best quality. So, again, if i can only have one hardwired, should it be the laptop or roku? Thank for any help with this!!
AngieD300

Re: Roku/Laptop/Plex

Postby lion7718 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:35 pm

The only way to really know is to switch them for a few days to see if you see a difference or not.
Quality wise, most of that would be determined by how powerful your laptop is....and how good your router is.
lion7718

Postby RickRansom » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:01 am

^+1..
Retired
RickRansom

Postby trekkeriii » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:54 pm

Personally, I would wire the server over the client. That way if you want more devices to connect to the server at the same time, it can handle it.
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Postby RokuShawnS » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:24 pm

AngieD300 wrote:Hello...I was wondering if between my Roku & Laptop, should i hardwire the laptop or Roku when streaming movies from Plex? Right now, i just have the Roku hardwired, but laptop using wifi. There are no issues, but just want the best quality. So, again, if i can only have one hardwired, should it be the laptop or roku? Thank for any help with this!!

In most cases, it probably won't matter either way. Think about it a moment. If your Roku is wireless, but the laptop is wired, you're only going to get the best speed your router can produce at the moment of the stream (I forget off-hand what the actual speeds are on a router wired vs wireless). It'll be the same, vice versa. The only issue is whether or not the laptop itself can handle the quality you're trying to stream.

One way or another, you'll probably encounter some sort of wireless degradation. The easiest and fastest (and best possible quality) will always be wired on both, because you won't suffer from interference or signal loss (which is probably what you're encountering now). You could try an ethernet hub to keep everything wired (best possible solution if you can't wire both at the same time), but even adding a second route into the mix can cause issues. I say that even though I haven't used an ethernet hub previously (and knowing that it will also introduce other factors into the equation you probably don't want to deal with) ... only from a tech standpoint, adding anything into the mix will potentially cause an issue.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby raaurora » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:01 am

AngieD300 wrote:Hello...I was wondering if between my Roku & Laptop, should i hardwire the laptop or Roku when streaming movies from Plex? Right now, i just have the Roku hardwired, but laptop using wifi. There are no issues, but just want the best quality. So, again, if i can only have one hardwired, should it be the laptop or roku? Thank for any help with this!!

I have an all wireless configuration - laptop and XD. I think as long as they both are positioned to get good signal strength from your wireless router you are fine. Mine are and I have not run into any annoying buffering issues viewing pics or video. I know that was not the asked question, I'm just not sure one of them needs to be wired.
raaurora

Postby GJones » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:23 am

If any of the content will be transcoded, it is more important to have the wired connection between the content and the server as opposed to the client. If transcoded, the traffic going to the client from the server will potentially be lower bandwidth. Also, the clients have a number of methods for buffering content for short periods of time in case of interruption. So if you have to choose, hardwire the maching with Plex Server on it and, if applicable, the separate machine or NAS where the content is stored.
GJones

Postby AngieD300 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:25 pm

Thanks everybody...i do forget to remember that either wired or wireless, each device is still considered an equally connected device...considering that there is no interference in the wireless connection. I will wire my computer & run the Roku wireless. Thanks all for the advice!!
AngieD300

Postby FX4 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:05 am

One thing to keep in mind is that on any given frequency there can be only one talker at a time. Wireless is a shared medium so if you have a lot of wireless devise or your neighbor does you can run into problems. In addition to this, the farther away from the router you are the slower your speed will be. If you are wired you can run pretty much at line rate these days.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion