nowhereman

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

nowhereman

Postby tarryh » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:07 am

Roku promotes Nowhere and Nowhere promotes Roku. Nowhere is inconsistent in posting podcasts correctly by date. Example: Maddow Fri 15 is actually Maddow Fri 8, 2013. Same is true for other shows. Now Nowhere wants a subscription. No way to contact them. Intentional they do not want feedback? Suggest Roku follow up. Nowhere is a Roku source for news for many and sloppyness damages the Roku brand as well as the Nowhere brand
tarryh

Re: nowhereman

Postby dwanthny » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:35 am

tarryh wrote:Now Nowhere wants a subscription. No way to contact them. Intentional they do not want feedback?

What are you talking about? NowhereTV is a private channel. This is the thread to contact the developer and provide feedback. The first post of the thread also has his web site listed. There is no official connection between Roku and this channel. Also there is no subscription for this channel.
Last edited by dwanthny on Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
:idea: 20GB of Free CLOUD STORAGE: For a limited time you can use this link https://copy.com?r=lB3oTH to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
dwanthny

Postby kc8pql » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:35 am

Actually, NowhereTV is a private channel, not promoted by Roku. It's free. There is no subscription. Donations are
accepted by the developer, but payment is not required to use the channel.
The content is simply a curated list of streams available on the web. The developer has no control over them. He's
simply providing a way for you to view them on your TV rather than having to use a computer.
Content is controlled by each individual content owner.
Here's the contact: http://thenowhereman.com/roku/
or simply post in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=26363
Last edited by kc8pql on Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby RickRansom » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:37 am

Are you talking about the Nowhere Headlines channel? That's the only official channel that has "Nowhere" in the name.
Retired
RickRansom

Postby Gilgamesh » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:40 am

tarryh wrote:Roku promotes Nowhere and Nowhere promotes Roku. Nowhere is inconsistent in posting podcasts correctly by date. Example: Maddow Fri 15 is actually Maddow Fri 8, 2013. Same is true for other shows. Now Nowhere wants a subscription. No way to contact them. Intentional they do not want feedback? Suggest Roku follow up. Nowhere is a Roku source for news for many and sloppyness damages the Roku brand as well as the Nowhere brand

First to address the "Now Nowhere wants a subscription." statement. Nowhere TV is a free channel. There is no actual subscription involved. However their website does have a way to set up a recurring donation, but it is not required.

Second Nowhere TV is just an aggregate of various feeds and as such is very dependent on what info the feed owner suplies with the feed.

Third Nowhere TV is a private channel and as such does not even appear in the channel store therefore it is not supported or promoted by Roku.

Fourth You can contact nowhereman by sending him a private message via memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8598

I fail to see any real value to your post but I think I answered a few of the questions implied by your rant.
Gilgamesh

Postby dwanthny » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:50 am

RickRansom wrote:Are you talking about the Nowhere Headlines channel? That's the only official channel that has "Nowhere" in the name.

I figure he was confused and ranting about this screen saver.
:idea: 20GB of Free CLOUD STORAGE: For a limited time you can use this link https://copy.com?r=lB3oTH to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
dwanthny

Postby tarryh » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:12 am

I think I will just leave it alone. I had no other place to express my dissatisfaction, and I thought I was clear, but I guess not. My bad. But I must say talking down to a poster is really rude. This is not a political forum. No matter technically how these sites are put together, and I do understand how it works, they have a responsibility to ensure they provide what is advertised. That is Marketing 101. The same is true for Roku itself. Roku only sells boxes if there is good content to watch. If content providers are sloppy and provide poor service then from a marketing standpoint it would be wise to take them off the "official Roku" list.....let them remain as private channels. I am not referring to Nowhere per se but to some channels that are in the channel store. A while back two times CNNI was not available for more than a week. I think Roku should have at least put up a message or asked the provider to do so. That is smart customer relations.

I have had my Roku for two plus years. I am satisfied and have gotten nine or ten friends to buy one. I am not ranting. Just want to see some things improved.

Nowhere does have a subscribe choice as well as a donate choice. I give money to help support a number of these private channels. I have given to Nowhere.
tarryh

Postby trekkeriii » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:01 am

I don't think people were talking down to you, I think they were trying to explain the differences between public and private channels. Also, I think RokuChris created NoWhere TV more as a hobby channel, and it IS a private channel. There is the Nowhere Headlines channel, which looks like a paid channel. It's a separate channel, different than NoWhereTV. I don't think if there's a problem with a private channel, the developer should be penalized by taking down their Official Roku channel. Plus there's a bunch of other channels NoWhereMan/RokuChris has made over the years that have been superb.

Just FYI, Roku has no obligation to contact channel providers unless they are in the Channel Store. If it's a private channel, then that means and any and all support Roku has goes out the window. Now if the Private Channel is doing something illegal, scamming, etc. that is a whole other issue, and definitely should be reported. Roku does not market the private channels directly. Some channels are posted by other members on Roku's forums, but that does not mean Roku is officially supporting them, granted there's a few private channels Roku is not allowed to be mentioned on their forums.

Now as for the NoWhere TV channel itself, if you read through the NoWhereTV thread, you will understand that it is merely an aggregator. If the content source (which NoWhereMan/RokuChris has no control over) has entered the data incorrectly into the feeds (including bad url to the video feed itself), then that data is what is displayed on the NoWhereTV channel, and even a problem with the video playing at all. In fact this is another reason the NoWhereTV has remained private because it does have these setbacks.

CNNI channel, again, private channel. Roku does not market it. It's not in the Channel Store. If anything, Time Warner could decide Roku should take it down or block it since it's not authorized. I know other websites market Roku for having access to these Private Channels, I remember people mentioning YouTube back when the channel was available. Did not come directly from Roku marketing, it was just 3rd parties. Roku cannot control what 3rd parties do to market Roku devices. I don't think Roku really wants to be spending money on lawyers to sue the websites marketing the 3rd party channels either.
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii

Postby kc8pql » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:16 am

tarryh wrote:If content providers are sloppy and provide poor service then from a marketing standpoint it would be wise to take them off the "official Roku" list...

Humm. by 'Official List" you wouldn't be talking about this site would you: http://www.roku-channels.com/ If so, note that is a third party site that has no connection to Roku.
The only official list of Roku approved and supported channels is here: http://www.roku.com/channels/#!browse/featured
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby tarryh » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:59 am

Trekkeriii I understand what you are saying. I guess I am not making my non tech point. The Huffington Post and the Daily Beast started as aggregators. Still are to some degree. They cannot take responsibility for what someone else said but they understand full well that if they do not make sure of the accuracy and veracity of what is provided, it can hurt their brand. I did not mention lawsuits or lawyers, just good communication, plain and simple. Aggregators like HuffPo stop using certain sources if they are unreliable....they block them in essence. Unfortunately I mentioned private channels like CNNI. Let me mention others like Roku's Newscaster which aggregates free content from a variety of outlets. It is branded. There are times when some of those links do not work for days, yet they remain in place....a simple "not available" would suffice. Same is true with WSJ and also TED which was broken last year for two months. ROKU rates these channels in the store thereby putting their blessing on them. I do not think it a smart idea to suddenly say "no mas."

The problem here is that I come at this from the customer perspective. Most customers do not know the ins and outs of how things work. They just want to watch what is presented. Early adopters are not bothered by the problems I mentioned. Most of them are technically savvy . But from a marketing standpoint you reach a plateau with that audience. Then, if you want to sell more boxes, you are going after the average consumer. That's when customer care kicks in. Detailed technical explanations won't cut it with them.
tarryh

Postby philsoft » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:22 pm

Roku is not going to monitor private channels and inform users when there is a broken link. It just isn't going to happen. Gateway isn't going to monitor the internet and inform people when a website has a broken link either. Samsung isn't going to monitor network TV stations and inform people when a local station goes off the air either. This private channel is offered at no cost other than donations, so I certainly wouldn't expect the creator of this private channel to constantly babysit the channel, when he probably hasn't made much money from it either, I would expect that kind of service to REQUIRE a monthly fee.
philsoft

Postby AeroR1 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:29 pm

dont worry tarryh, the head sheep of this board Gilgamesh "fials to see the point" of everyones thread. He "fails to see the point" so much that he once quit this board because of the "stupid" questions asked here that "can easily be searched for". you cant ask questions here without his opinion, and it always seems to be parroting forum rules. Rokushawn even closed a thread because he said so even though the mod said it was kinda worth if it stayed open.

hopefully soon he will fall off his soapbox again and leave so this board can actually help people.
AeroR1

Postby RokuMarkn » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:36 pm

And that personal attack ends this thread.

To clarify a point that some people don't seem to understand, private channels are just that, private. Roku has no input into the channel and no insight into the contents of the channel. If you don't like that, you should stick to public channels, which are tested and cleared by Roku.

--Mark
RokuMarkn
Roku Engineering

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion