iPad to Roku (Movies?)

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

iPad to Roku (Movies?)

Postby pivotraze » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:50 am

Hi everyone, I'm trying to play movies on my iPad (in the AVPlayerHD app) on my roku. I have a jailbroken iPad, and I installed XBMC, but it doesn't work because roku doesn't support UPnP (why?). I have the Roku HD.

What can I do to play movies from my iPad directly to my Roku HD?
Last edited by pivotraze on Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
pivotraze

Re: iPad to Roku (Movies?)

Postby FX4 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:11 am

Well you kind of went after the wrong device. You want a Raspberry Pi with XBMC installed. Then you can airplay to the RPi. Alternately you can use the video out on your iPad and plug it in to your television. UPnP is not the issue. The AirPlay protocol is not supported by Roku.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby pivotraze » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:13 am

Well I had it close with iFile's web server and roksbox. It was able to read the list of movies, but trying to play them would become a timeout issue. I feel like I'm so close, but so far away. Is there really no way to have iPad movies play on the Roku HD?
pivotraze

Postby FX4 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:17 am

What is your end goal? Where are the movies stored?
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby pivotraze » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:19 am

My End goal is to play my movies located on my iPad 3 on my Roku HD. They are in mp4 and avi format. The files are stored within the AVPlayerHD app (which has a WiFi Transfer mode, but that doesn't stream, only allows downloads, and roksbox doesn't recognize it anyway). So the path is something like /var/mobile/Applications/AVPlayerHD.app/Documents
pivotraze

Postby FX4 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:24 am

Well then I assume that some of your movies are from iTunes and they will not play on any device except for your apple devices. It's a closed ecosystem and iTunes puts security on the files. If this is truly your end goal, Roku is not the way to go here. You either need to build an RPi or buy an ATV. Either device will receive airplay from your iPad. With RPi you will have XBMC too although it's not super user friendly yet, but it's getting close.
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby pivotraze » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:28 am

Oh, I'm fine with XBMC, I've used it often ha. I'm just not too high on wanting to purchase another device I'll use for the same purpose as my Roku. The movies were not purchased on iTunes, however. They were rips of backup movies from a while back that the discs are gone. Moving broke a few of the discs >.> But it's starting to look like I don't have much of a choice, it's just hard to believe that this won't work. :\
pivotraze

Postby FX4 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:31 am

Well there are other options for your movies that can't be discussed here, but for airplay your are stuck with either RPi or ATV.
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby pivotraze » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:40 am

But what if you don't use AirPlay?

Like I said, I have XBMC on my iPad, that provides streaming via UPnP (it works streaming to my computer). I can set up my iPad as a web server, etc... Would any of that allow a (albeit roundabout) way to play iPad content on Roku?
pivotraze

Postby trekkeriii » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:47 am

pivotraze wrote:But what if you don't use AirPlay?

Like I said, I have XBMC on my iPad, that provides streaming via UPnP (it works streaming to my computer). I can set up my iPad as a web server, etc... Would any of that allow a (albeit roundabout) way to play iPad content on Roku?

Roku doesn't support UPnP or DLNA. I could see possibly someone creating a Channel (Application) for Roku to do it. Roku doesn't support AVI container at all, so you'd need a transcoder of some sort in addition.

Roku primarily was designed to stream content from the Internet, not local devices on your network. Other options are to use a PC or MAC on your network and store the media there. Then you can use the Plex Media Server (which is similar, and a fork of XBMC) to stream your files to Roku.
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.2)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Postby FX4 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:56 am

I think beyond this, he is trying to use XBMC in a way that it is not designed to be used. You just happen to get enough right that Roksbox can browse your iPad for directory contents. I'm guessing some way in part you got an HTTP server going on your iPad? I actually don't know all the protocols Roksbox currently supports. It's been quite a while since I messed with it.
Last edited by FX4 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby pivotraze » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:59 am

Yes, an HTTP server is running where it can read the directories, but not where it can stream the files. It's close, but so far away.
pivotraze

Postby FX4 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:03 pm

Well the first thing I would do is grab another device that is capable of streaming from http and verify your setup. Do you have an apple computer? I would try streaming to that to verify your server. If that works, as noted earlier in this thread it's a combination of unsupported formats and DRM.
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby pivotraze » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:04 pm

I don't have an Apple PC, but quite a few Windows PCs. When trying to use on there, it just downloads it, as if it was a normal file, and not stream it. Albeit, I am not sure how I would go about changing that, or if I even can.
pivotraze

Postby FX4 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:09 pm

Are you browsing to it or accessing it via a media player? A media player should play it if not DRM protected. Use windows media center to access it. It's sounds like your web browser may be setup wrong or your file names are wrong and windows does not know what to do with the file so it just downloads it.
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion