Netflix Update

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: Netflix Update

Postby mikeyts » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:59 am

kc8pql wrote:I'm seeing lots of streams marked Super HD, even before the update.
Maybe your ISP doesn't participate?

I've never seen any titles marked Super HD in the Roku Netflix GUI, nor do I now, after this update. My ISP is Cox Communications San Diego, which is set up for access to Netflix's Open Connect CDN, and therefore the Super HD and 3D encodes. When I play "Example Short 23.976" on the Roku it gets up to the 4300- and 5800 Super HD encodes, so I am getting Super HD, even though the Roku doesn't indicate it on the title descriptions.

Every other 1080p-capable Netflix player that I have (TiVo Premiere, PS3, two BD players and the Win8 Netflix app on this PC) shows the Super HD logo on titles which have the encodes (AFAICT only the small number of 720p-only HD titles don't, stuff like Thor, Captain America and True Grit).

Could you check the version of the Netflix player that you're running? Also it'd be great if you could post a screenshot.
mikeyts

Postby kc8pql » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:21 pm

*Note: Although some Super HD eligible Roku devices do not currently display the Super HD logo, we continue to provide Super HD video quality for these devices.

Copied from here: http://support.netflix.com/en/node/8731#gsc.tab=0
Maybe that has something to do with it.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby RickRansom » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:32 pm

^Most likely. How hard should it be for them to make an icon available in their channel? :mrgreen:
Retired
RickRansom

Postby mikeyts » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:46 pm

kc8pql wrote:
*Note: Although some Super HD eligible Roku devices do not currently display the Super HD logo, we continue to provide Super HD video quality for these devices.

Copied from here: http://support.netflix.com/en/node/8731#gsc.tab=0
Maybe that has something to do with it.

Yeah, I know--that notice was there from the moment they introduced Super HD. It doesn't matter any great deal; if a title is HD, it probably has Super HD encodes if your ISP is set up for access to Netflix's CDN. Some high-profile recent titles are 720p-only; many of them don't have 5.1 sound either. I think that the content providers want to reserve the best presentation of them for people who're paying more to see them.

Again, what version of the Netflix channel do you have?
mikeyts

Postby dboff01 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:11 pm

I've compared all the the SuperHD marked content in my queue on my Tivo Premiere to the same queue on my Roku 2 XS. Definitely no SuperHD logos or indication in the Roku 2 XS app (marked HD only).

I did receive a Roku Netflix channel update this morning (as well as Vudu, Crackle) and now have Netflix version 3.1 build 6005.

I had seen the Netflix disclaimer about not all enabled devices displaying SuperHD (even thought the content may be) and had assumed a Roku 2 channel update was needed to resolve. Now that I've had a Netflix channel update with no change, I guess my assumption was wrong.
dboff01

Postby kc8pql » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:16 pm

mikeyts wrote:Again, what version of the Netflix channel do you have?

Just checked. Version 3.1 build 6005, but as i said above, I've been seeing Super HD lables for weeks.

Probably should also note that my ISP does not provide Super HD access.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
kc8pql

Postby mikeyts » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:04 pm

kc8pql wrote:
mikeyts wrote:Again, what version of the Netflix channel do you have?

Just checked. Version 3.1 build 6005, but as i said above, I've been seeing Super HD lables for weeks.

Probably should also note that my ISP does not provide Super HD access.

I wonder what the difference between you and philsoft and the rest of us is? We're running the same version of the Netflix channel. Two of us with ISPs set up for Super HD (me and dboff01) aren't seeing the Super HD logo in the Roku GUI and two of us whose ISPs aren't set up for Open Connect access (you and philsoft) are seeing the logo. It's possible that Netflix is trying the change out in a subset of active boxes just to make sure it doesn't break anything.

Meh--it's not crucial, though it would be nice.

I'd really appreciate it if one of you could post a screenshot. I've searched but I can't find one online. Does it show the Super HD logo on the description which pops up when you're browsing?
mikeyts

Postby Rob22315 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:24 am

mikeyts wrote:
Rob22315 wrote:Netflix, Crackle and VUDU just updated on my Roku 2.

Netflix and Crackle have new versions today but in the Channel Store it says that the current version of VUDU is 1.2, released on 9-25-12.

I've got VUDU version 1.2 build 7
Rob22315

Postby kc8pql » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:44 am

mikeyts wrote: Does it show the Super HD logo on the description which pops up when you're browsing?

Yes
kc8pql

Postby njweb » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:07 pm

As others have stated, the Super HD logo is working on some other devices (some Smart TV's, perhaps some BD players etc.).
However, Roku units, at a minimum the 2 XS and whichever models others who posted the issue here own), currently do NOT display the 'Super HD' logo on the description page in Netflix (as of 4 PM EST today - Mar 3, 2013).
I checked known 'Super HD' titles (from a list Netflix provided in an interview) and none od them shows Super HD label.
Netflix acknowledges this 'issue' on their Super HD page.

The good news is my ISP is connected to the Netflix CDN for Super HD and I am getting 5800 kbps (Super HD) on my Roku 2 XS when I play the 'example short 23.976' clip on Netflix (after the annoying 30 second or so long wait before adaptive streaming kicks on and kicks the bitrate up).

Hopefully Roku and Netflix will work to release an update soon to get 'Super HD' logo added for Roku units on the movie decription page for Netflix movies that support it.
A others stated, it should not take this long to get it added when it has bee implemented for a while on other Netflix-capable devices (Smart TV's e.g.).
Last edited by njweb on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Three Roku 3 units (March 2013)
njweb

Postby mikeyts » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:29 pm

Hey kc8pql, why'd you pull the screenshot? Wasn't exactly like the logo (Image) that you see in other UIs.
Last edited by mikeyts on Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeyts

Postby kc8pql » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:31 pm

no comment
kc8pql

Postby trekkeriii » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:01 pm

Episode advancement (thread) seems to be working better since this update. Was this one of the bugs fixed in the latest update?
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii

Postby Thanny » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:39 am

njweb wrote: (after the annoying 30 second or so long wait before adaptive streaming kicks on and kicks the bitrate up).

After the stream has been going for about four seconds, press the left arrow button to reposition. When you restart, it should be close to the correct stream speed, and you don't have to suffer through half a minute or more of abysmal quality.
Thanny

Postby marcelo.cabral » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:04 am

You can check here:
http://movies.netflix.com/Subtitles

the availability of the videos with alternate audio/subtitles in:
English
Spanish
Brazilian Portuguese
marcelo.cabral

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion