Netflix and Parental Controls

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Netflix and Parental Controls

Postby Heatherly30 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:38 pm

We have been enjoying our Roku for a couple of weeks and are well on our way to cutting the cable cord! We actually have 2 Roku HD boxes (version 1, I guess) in our Family Room and Master Bedroom. We plan to put two more boxes in our children's bedrooms by the end of the month.

However, I am finding that parental controls are pretty weak. I do not want to change it on the Netflix site and have to wait 8 hours each time I want to watch a non 'G' or 'PG' show. The other option I have read online is to go into Settings-Netflix Settings, and disable Search and Browser. This is be an acceptable alternative for us, as it seems it would require me to control the queue. Question...This option is not available on my Roku. Is this option only available on the Roku LT, or is it possibly not even available on that model any longer? Or, are there any other options?

I am considering setting their Roku's up under a different account (my husband's email), so that their content is much more limited. Any advice on this matter or any others listed above?
Heatherly30

Re: Netflix and Parental Controls

Postby trekkeriii » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:12 pm

Heatherly30 wrote:We have been enjoying our Roku for a couple of weeks and are well on our way to cutting the cable cord! We actually have 2 Roku HD boxes (version 1, I guess) in our Family Room and Master Bedroom. We plan to put two more boxes in our children's bedrooms by the end of the month.

However, I am finding that parental controls are pretty weak. I do not want to change it on the Netflix site and have to wait 8 hours each time I want to watch a non 'G' or 'PG' show. The other option I have read online is to go into Settings-Netflix Settings, and disable Search and Browser. This is be an acceptable alternative for us, as it seems it would require me to control the queue. Question...This option is not available on my Roku. Is this option only available on the Roku LT, or is it possibly not even available on that model any longer? Or, are there any other options?

I am considering setting their Roku's up under a different account (my husband's email), so that their content is much more limited. Any advice on this matter or any others listed above?

Netflix's Parental Controls are not the best, unfortunately Roku themselves don't have any control over the Parental Controls on the channels. In this case Netflix has to fix whatever is causing the delay. The Disable Search and Browser feature was removed by Netflix from Roku 2 Generation. The big difference between Netflix on Roku 1 and 2 was the Netflix Channel was connected directly to the Roku Settings on the Generation 1 Roku, so Roku itself had control over that feature. On Generation 2 Roku, Netflix is a standalone channel. There's no Netflix settings within the Roku Settings area.
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion