Advanced Network Settings on Roku 3 Please

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Advanced Network Settings on Roku 3 Please

Postby oakejs » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:19 am

I posted this in feature suggestions, but I thought it deserved it's own topic as well as I think this is a feature that a lot of users want.

Can advanced networking settings be added to the Roku 3 with a software update? I understand you want it to be plug-and-play, but it could be like the Apple TV where it just works, but there is the ability to change the DNS if advanced users want to. I live in Canada and my ISP doesn't allow me to change the DNS on my router. On my Mac's and Apple TV I can change the DNS on the devices, but not the Roku. I would really like to use services like unblock-us on my Roku.
oakejs

Re: Advanced Network Settings on Roku 3 Please

Postby mikebdoss » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:23 am

oakejs wrote:I posted this in feature suggestions, but I thought it deserved it's own topic as well as I think this is a feature that a lot of users want.

Can advanced networking settings be added to the Roku 3 with a software update? I understand you want it to be plug-and-play, but it could be like the Apple TV where it just works, but there is the ability to change the DNS if advanced users want to. I live in Canada and my ISP doesn't allow me to change the DNS on my router. On my Mac's and Apple TV I can change the DNS on the devices, but not the Roku. I would really like to use services like unblock-us on my Roku.

It's not going to happen. Roku's been pretty clear about that.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby phoenix42 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:41 am

Try solving this problem from the other direction.

Who is your ISP? And what do they provide you with for a modem/router/magic internet box?
Can your ISP's combo modem/router device be put in pass-through mode, thus bypassing the router part of it, and thus requiring you to get your own router? At which point you'll be able to set what ever DNS you wish.
phoenix42

Postby mikeyts » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:42 am

oakejs wrote:I would really like to use services like unblock-us on my Roku.

Don't expect much sympathy from Roku for that. We are not allowed to discuss region restriction circumvention services here.
mikeyts

Postby oakejs » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:25 pm

Sorry about that. I didn't know that those kind of service were not allowed to be discussed. There are of course other benefits and reasons why someone would want to change their DNS. My ISP is Telus, and they don't allow changes to the Actiontec router. I have figured out a way to do it, but I just thought it would be a nice feature to have since other devices have it as well. I am happy with Roku, and have just purchased 3 more to go with the 2 XS's that I have.
oakejs

Postby traal » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:12 pm

I get better streaming with my ISP's DNS server, but I would rather use OpenDNS for my other computers. This is why I would like to have advanced network settings on the Roku.
traal

Postby MidgardDragon » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:25 pm

traal wrote:I get better streaming with my ISP's DNS server, but I would rather use OpenDNS for my other computers. This is why I would like to have advanced network settings on the Roku.

Set your router DNS to your ISP default then change it individually on the computers you want to use OpenDNS? The computer-level DNS settings should take priority over your router, and your Roku would grab your ISP DNS from the router.
MidgardDragon

Postby hellenfry » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:01 pm

traal > Easy solution for you is to run two routers on your network! I have the same issue! My main router is locked down so that all port 53 traffic is forced to go to OPENDNS that way all the computers laptops smartphones tablets, etc. all point to OPENDNS no matter what my kids set their local DNS too. (Yes they have learned to live with me. I have done this at work too!) OPENDNS is great for blocking sites that are not, should we say, family safe - they use to have much better blocking abilities but they dropped using iPrism (great internet filter BTW) a few years ago. Anyway, so I want all my network machines running OPENDNS but not my ROKUs!
So what I have done is put a second wireless router (use different SSID and radio channel than the first router) in front of my first wireless router - now I know you may say I am running NAT behind NAT but it all works fine. You set up the second router with a different subnet with all the WiFi info you want - make it secure - and use the WiFi on this second router only for your ROKUs nothing else. Do setup DHCP (Roku needs that) and do not lock down port 53 on this second router and setup one of the LAN ports to be a DMZ and plug your first router into that port and assign it a static IP address on the WAN port of the first router (best to not use DHCP on the WAN port of your first router for this.) Don't forget you are now running two separate subnets (should be something like A=192.168.0.1/24 B=192.168.1.1/24 Your first router WAN port would be set to static IP on the B subnet say for example 192.168.1.2/24 and this would also be the DMZ port on the B router) all your home stuf will be on A and all ROKUs on B. You will have to watch your second router that the kids do not figure out to plug in a CAT5 cable and run on that but I set MAC filtering to only allow the ROKUs to work. (Yes I know about MAC spoofing but in reality it is too much trouble to implement so in a case like this it works fine.) So if you have a second router - definitely worth a shot to try it out. (Both routers should be able to handle WMM!)
Good luck!
hellenfry

Postby beq » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:16 am

^ Nice post!

To simply segregate DNS by site, and if your (3rd-party) router firmware supports it, you could also set this up via Dnsmasq entries (although it can be a pain with a lot of sites)...
beq

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion