roku 3 better then roku hd?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

roku 3 better then roku hd?

Postby stephanie01 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:46 pm

I've had roku hd 2500r for a few months, and have some annoying issues.

- It has wifi issues even though it sits literally an arms length away from the router, slow/loses connection sometimes.
- It loves to freeze or crash and reboots itself, perhaps cause it loves to get hot?

I'm about to get the roku 3 today so was curious if I will have any of these issues again, as roku hd was my first one ever and those issues were annoying. I gave my old box to my parents and told them about this stuff and it froze from the few times they used it as soon as they got it. :\

roku 3 questions

- Any freezing/crashing like what happened to me with the annoying hd version?
- I noticed it has dual band wifi, so was hoping that might help parents since it will be in another room? *roku hd is slow from there*

I'm hoping it's fine, I will probably just trash the roku hd and get them the roku 3 as well.
stephanie01

Re: roku 3 better then roku hd?

Postby aaronwt » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Sounds like you might need a better Access Point or you have congested wireless in your area. My Roku 2 boxes are rock solid and fast over wireless. The user experience has been identical whether a wired or wireless connection is used.
Roku 3
Roku 2 XS--Roku 2 XD
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
aaronwt

Postby TheEndless » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:59 pm

stephanie01 wrote:perhaps cause it loves to get hot?

I wonder if your issues stem from this. My HD is slightly warm to the touch, but it's definitely not "hot". Either there's not enough ventilation around yours, or there's some other manufacturing issue (others have reported similar heat concerns here), but I wouldn't be surprised if the wireless issues are a result of the box getting too hot.

On a related note, I can barely pick up my Roku 3, because it runs so hot, but I haven't noticed any adverse effects from that, yet.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Postby mikeyts » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:13 pm

TheEndless wrote:On a related note, I can barely pick up my Roku 3, because it runs so hot, but I haven't noticed any adverse effects from that, yet.

Interesting. Sitting idle, my Roku 3 is only mildly warm to the touch. Does it have to be playing something for a while to get that hot?
mikeyts

Postby njweb » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:19 pm

Keep in mind that a device (Roku e.g.) that is hot on the outside is not necessarily "running hot":
Electronics are usually designed to dissipate heat. This in turn can result / does result in the outside of the unit having a certain temperature (the actual temperature varies by defice type, design etc.).

Internal heat can't be measured accurately solely by touching a device (unless you have a baseline and even then you would need to know how much of an internal temperature change generates a given external temp change e.g. for every 5 degrees hotter on the inside, the example device gets 2 degrees hotter on the outside - this is just an example and the numbers used are NOT intended to be real world values!).

That being said, if (from past experience) you know how hot a specific device (e.g. your Roku 2 or 3) usually runs on the outside and suddenly it starts to feel (a lot) hotter than usual, then you might have an internal overheating issue (or you are using it for more more CPU-intensive tasks - this can be hard to quantify w/o running lab tests or having a task manager app).
Three Roku 3 units (March 2013)
njweb

Postby Gilgamesh » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:31 pm

mikeyts wrote:
TheEndless wrote:On a related note, I can barely pick up my Roku 3, because it runs so hot, but I haven't noticed any adverse effects from that, yet.

Interesting. Sitting idle, my Roku 3 is only mildly warm to the touch. Does it have to be playing something for a while to get that hot?

Just to add mystery to this: My Roku 3 has been playing virtually continuously since 5:00 AM (It is now 4:20 PM) and it is barely warm. I have never felt anything even approaching very warm with any of my Rokus.

I REALLY wonder why some get so hot and others do not. The only thing even remotely unique about my Roku is that it sits on a metal shelf in my entertainment rack with nothing within 6 inches of it. (The other two sit in a close cabinet to isolate them from IR. They never get above mildly warm either.)

Oh, there is one other thing. During the winter I keep my apartment at 67 Fahrenheit during the day and 62 at night so the environment is cool. During the summer that changes to 77 and 72. Of course my R3 has not, yet, experienced summer but I do not expect that to make much, if any, difference in its overall temperature.
Gilgamesh

Postby TheEndless » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:36 pm

mikeyts wrote:

Good question. I noticed it the other day on the box I use for development. It wouldn't have been streaming video, but it could have been doing something else processor intensive. It was also sitting on top of my HD, which was almost certainly not helping. I've re-situated it now, so I'll have to keep an eye on it to see if it gets that hot again.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby aaronwt » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:17 pm

I guess I need to check out my Roku3. I've been using it alot since picking it up five days ago. But I have never checked it to see what the temperature is. I'll need to pull out my IR Thermometer to see what the surface temp is.
Roku 3
Roku 2 XS--Roku 2 XD
aaronwt

Postby aaronwt » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:14 pm

I just checked my Roku 3. It is barely warm to the touch after streaming Netflix for five minutes. I measured between 78F and 90F depending on the surface I was reading. But I also have mine on top of my Panasonic BDT220 BD player which has a metal top. So that top is probably absorbing some of the heat.
Roku 3
Roku 2 XS--Roku 2 XD
aaronwt

Postby kc8pql » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:18 pm

The circuit board is mounted to the top of the box with airspace below, like the R2s, so I would expect the tops to be warmer than the bottom.
The top probably acts as a heat sync.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby aaronwt » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:58 pm

stephanie01 wrote:I've had roku hd 2500r for a few months, and have some annoying issues.

- It has wifi issues even though it sits literally an arms length away from the router, slow/loses connection sometimes.
- It loves to freeze or crash and reboots itself, perhaps cause it loves to get hot?

I'm about to get the roku 3 today so was curious if I will have any of these issues again, as roku hd was my first one ever and those issues were annoying. I gave my old box to my parents and told them about this stuff and it froze from the few times they used it as soon as they got it. :\

roku 3 questions

- Any freezing/crashing like what happened to me with the annoying hd version?
- I noticed it has dual band wifi, so was hoping that might help parents since it will be in another room? *roku hd is slow from there*

I'm hoping it's fine, I will probably just trash the roku hd and get them the roku 3 as well.

I just tried out the SpeedTest app (errr channel) on my Roku 3 and Roku 2 boxes.

With the Roku 3 over a wired connection the fastest I'm getting is around 80Mb/s. At 2.4Ghz I'm getting around 50Mb/s and at 5Ghz I'm getting 60Mb/s.

With the Roku 2 the fastest I'm getting is around 55Mb/s over the wired connection and around 20Mb/s over wireless.

I've not had any issue with the Roku2 over wireless getting the speeds for SuperHD on Netflix. Or getting 3bar HDX. So the Roku 3 with it's faster speeds certainly will not have any issues either.
Roku 3
Roku 2 XS--Roku 2 XD
aaronwt

Postby stephanie01 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:33 am

Guess I will be ordering another, wifi seems a lot better from the front room now. Just hope there won't be any crashing/freezing.
stephanie01

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion