Roku 3 vs Roku 2 XS

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku 3 vs Roku 2 XS

Postby tedsky » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:59 pm

Rokurs,
We are preparing to venture to the US to fetch a Roku.

There are still Roku 2 XS units here in Canada, though I wonder whether Canadian-specific programming is pre-loaded onto these, and/or if US-based programming can be (re)loaded onto them, similar to Samsung HT Bluray players with Smart Hub. Nonetheless, there is a modest savings to be had between US and Canadian stock, and the trip to the US is a small cost when fuelling up is considered :-).

As I have been reading that Roku 2 XS units are being taken off shelves in prep for the Roku 3 release to retail outlets, I am concerned about Roku 2 XS availability (in the US, specifically Niagara Falls or Buffalo NY).

Anyone know if this is true, as I may need to have audio out seperate from video if I cannot find my HDMI <> DVI/SPDIF splitter box to use with the Roku 3's HDMI-only interface. We have a few non-HDMI TV and hifi units that only have DVI/SPDIF hi-def capability, and only 1 TV and an HT-Bluray (Samsung) with HDMI.

Thanks in advance for any comparison notes anyone might be able to impart here.
Ted
tedsky
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:17 pm

Re: Roku 3 vs Roku 2 XS

Postby trekkeriii » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:54 am

tedsky wrote:Rokurs,
We are preparing to venture to the US to fetch a Roku.



Highly recommend you don't do this. I believe there's specifics to each region (USA, UK/Ireland, and Canada). You won't run into the power issues, but then you won't get official support for something that's not technically available in your country. I'd wait until reputable Canadian retailers officially get Roku 3 devices.
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 1240
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:10 am

Re: Roku 3 vs Roku 2 XS

Postby RickRansom » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:02 am

+1
And not a lot of local stores offer the Roku 3, yet. Walmart says they don't have a store within 50 miles from Niagara Falls[14301] that has a Roku 3.
Retired
User avatar
RickRansom
 
Posts: 2156
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:23 pm
Location: PH

Re: Roku 3 vs Roku 2 XS

Postby kc8pql » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:05 am

tedsky wrote:...though I wonder whether Canadian-specific programming is pre-loaded onto these...

Note that nothing is pre-loaded on the box. New Rokus ship with only the firmware necessary to
connect to the Roku server and download the current Firmware version.
On a box for a different region, the question is which server would that be.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
User avatar
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 8199
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: US

Re: Roku 3 vs Roku 2 XS

Postby tedsky » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:48 am

trekkeriii wrote:
tedsky wrote:Rokurs,
We are preparing to venture to the US to fetch a Roku.


Highly recommend you don't do this. I believe there's specifics to each region (USA, UK/Ireland, and Canada). You won't run into the power issues, but then you won't get official support for something that's not technically available in your country. I'd wait until reputable Canadian retailers officially get Roku 3 devices.


When you say specifics to each region, were you perhaps thinking firmware specifics?
Our Samsung HT-D6530 resets its apps according to region detected by Smart Hub Server (via DNS) not firmware.
(I.e. the unit calls in to the server detetcted, then re-distributes and/or deletes apps that had previously been downloaded onto the unit.

Is it that the Roku differs in this regard? Does it strictly look at a region-specific firmware to deliver programming? Otherwise, we would still consider acquiring a US box. Else, silly if firmware defeats our intentions.

Also, the NHL season is just over half completed, and a great deal of "$49.95 for the season" withers and wanes with each passing week for NHL Gamecenter Live (GCL).


Thanks for your feedback, Sir!
Ted in Niagara Region (Canada)
Last edited by tedsky on Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
tedsky
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:17 pm

Re: Roku 3 vs Roku 2 XS

Postby tedsky » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:55 am

RickRansom wrote:+1
And not a lot of local stores offer the Roku 3, yet. Walmart says they don't have a store within 50 miles from Niagara Falls[14301] that has a Roku 3.


So, it would appear that the only way to acquire a US-based unit before the current NHL GCL offer becomes a moot point (with half the season already over) would be to do so via online retailers who will NOT ship to a Canadian address (i.e. Amazon and most others). Plus many require a US-based Credit Card.

If the Roku treats the DNS as its basis for programming availability, then one would think that using DNS Proxy (as many do here in Canada, us included) would be a good solution.

It's just $199 (+tax), so we are not really worried about warranties beyond an initial 30-day store return policy.


Thanks for your feedback, Sir!
Ted in Niagara Region (Canada)
tedsky
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:17 pm

Re: Roku 3 vs Roku 2 XS

Postby tedsky » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:02 am

kc8pql wrote:
tedsky wrote:...though I wonder whether Canadian-specific programming is pre-loaded onto these...

Note that nothing is pre-loaded on the box. New Rokus ship with only the firmware necessary to
connect to the Roku server and download the current Firmware version.
On a box for a different region, the question is which server would that be.



I'm hearing much about the firmware being the deciding criteria for the Roku vs rather than DNS detected (as in the Smart Hub-based units from Samsung).

Could someone confirm this?
(Else no reason to get the US-sold unit, as previously advised)

So, I defer to those in the know :-).


Thanks for your feedback, Sir!
Ted in Niagara Region (Canada)
tedsky
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:17 pm

Re: Roku 3 vs Roku 2 XS

Postby RokuShawnS » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:18 am

It is NOT advisable to purchase a unit from a different region. While it may work without issue, there is no guarantee nor official support for such units.

The firmware on each region-based unit may be slightly different. Roku uses your regional address to determine what services will be available to you. Discussion of ways to bypass such restrictions is not allowed on these forums, because doing so will violate the terms of service of many content providers.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
User avatar
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering
 
Posts: 4623
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:21 pm

Re: Roku 3 vs Roku 2 XS

Postby tedsky » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:32 am

RokuShawnS wrote:It is NOT advisable to purchase a unit from a different region. While it may work without issue, there is no guarantee nor official support for such units.

The firmware on each region-based unit may be slightly different. Roku uses your regional address to determine what services will be available to you. Discussion of ways to bypass such restrictions is not allowed on these forums, because doing so will violate the terms of service of many content providers.

C. Shawn Smith


Appreciated your feedback, RokuShawn.

Aside from the obvious current scenario (living 20 minutes from the US border, using DNS for other streaming devices that appear to regard DNS as the criteria for programming), there will be future forays into the US for vacation travel, or evn just weekends.

With a Canadian-based Roku, am I to understand that the firmware would disentitle us from receiving US programming when we are -in- the US? I consider this to be a large drawback to a Roku acquisition, if such is the case.

Without being hands-on with a Roku at this stage (still looking) where can one find TOS to download and read?
Are the TOS for US and Canada (or any other country for that matter) different?


Thanks in advance,
Ted in Niagara Region (Canada)
tedsky
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:17 pm

Re: Roku 3 vs Roku 2 XS

Postby RokuShawnS » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:09 am

tedsky wrote:
RokuShawnS wrote:It is NOT advisable to purchase a unit from a different region. While it may work without issue, there is no guarantee nor official support for such units.

The firmware on each region-based unit may be slightly different. Roku uses your regional address to determine what services will be available to you. Discussion of ways to bypass such restrictions is not allowed on these forums, because doing so will violate the terms of service of many content providers.

C. Shawn Smith


Appreciated your feedback, RokuShawn.

Aside from the obvious current scenario (living 20 minutes from the US border, using DNS for other streaming devices that appear to regard DNS as the criteria for programming), there will be future forays into the US for vacation travel, or evn just weekends.

With a Canadian-based Roku, am I to understand that the firmware would disentitle us from receiving US programming when we are -in- the US? I consider this to be a large drawback to a Roku acquisition, if such is the case.


You will only be given content based on your region and/or the location of your account. For example, if you have a Canadian Roku account, even while in the US you will likely not get US-based content. It's based on the licensing of that particular channel (and nothing that Roku has control over). Netflix, for example: Canadian-based Netflix has a somewhat different selection of titles than the US ... Roku has no control over that (and neither does any other DVP hardware, like AppleTV). Likewise, you may have difficulty receiving Canadian content while in the US, due to your account being Canadian. If you were to setup a US-based account, just the opposite will happen -- you'll likely have issues while in Canada, but probably no issues while visiting the US. Due to licensing restrictions, this is unavoidable, and nothing that Roku can control.

Without being hands-on with a Roku at this stage (still looking) where can one find TOS to download and read?
Are the TOS for US and Canada (or any other country for that matter) different?

Thanks in advance,
Ted in Niagara Region (Canada)


Yes, to question 2b. For example, the UK has vastly different TOS due to broadcast and content laws than the US does.

To question 2a, not really. There is a Roku TOS, but that doesn't cover what you are specifically asking about. You'll have to go to the content providers TOS pages in order to get that information.

C. Shawn Smith

[EDITED TO ADD]Of course, with my first response in this thread, your hardware purchase also matters, not only because some units aren't yet supported (like the Roku 3) for your region, but also because of the firmware versions, which are slightly different for each region, and is entirely based on the serial number of the unit (UK serial numbers are different from US serial numbers, etc).
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
User avatar
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering
 
Posts: 4623
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:21 pm

Re: Roku 3 vs Roku 2 XS

Postby tedsky » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:42 am

RokuShawnS wrote:You will only be given content based on your region and/or the location of your account. For example, if you have a Canadian Roku account, even while in the US you will likely not get US-based content. It's based on the licensing of that particular channel (and nothing that Roku has control over). Netflix, for example: Canadian-based Netflix has a somewhat different selection of titles than the US ... Roku has no control over that (and neither does any other DVP hardware, like AppleTV). Likewise, you may have difficulty receiving Canadian content while in the US, due to your account being Canadian. If you were to setup a US-based account, just the opposite will happen -- you'll likely have issues while in Canada, but probably no issues while visiting the US. Due to licensing restrictions, this is unavoidable, and nothing that Roku can control.

[EDITED TO ADD]Of course, with my first response in this thread, your hardware purchase also matters, not only because some units aren't yet supported (like the Roku 3) for your region, but also because of the firmware versions, which are slightly different for each region, and is entirely based on the serial number of the unit (UK serial numbers are different from US serial numbers, etc).


Originally was loooking to this unit as a good replacement for our Samsung stay-at-home unit (really don't want to be carting around a Bluray player on vacation or weekend jaunts), with all of its features.

After some feedback, it's looking less likely that Roku is for us (3, 2 XS) with the account and/or firmware considerations, whether moving from Canada to US short-term or for content as a stay-at-home unit.

And (as I stare at my printout of NHL GCL devices supported), we're going to have to look at Boxee, XBox, Playstation as alternatives to consier, as I believe each also supports Netflix, Pandora, Hulu, Vudu.


Thanks,
Ted in Niagara Region (Canada)
tedsky
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:17 pm

Re: Roku 3 vs Roku 2 XS

Postby caotuo » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:19 pm

i bought a roku hd from buffalo walmart, using us dns server, i have access to us hulu and us netflix, the only difference roku has are the uk versions, which has bbc iplayer installed.
caotuo
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:17 pm

Re: Roku 3 vs Roku 2 XS

Postby tedsky » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:20 am

caotuo wrote:i bought a roku hd from buffalo walmart, using us dns server, i have access to us hulu and us netflix, the only difference roku has are the uk versions, which has bbc iplayer installed.


Great to hear from you (gather you live in Canada)!

That's what I expected to be the case, so it looks like the XS is being removed from US shelves in favour of the 3, so best to move quickly before they are all removed or sold out. I really coulds use the option of the AV to send sound out analog to a stereo for Pandora.

Glad to hear that you are receiving US Netflix, same as my samsung Bluray, using a US DNS server ({Redacted by Moderator}, gives you lifetime annual at this price).

Any experience with NHL Gamecenter there?


Ted in Niagara Region, Canada
tedsky
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:17 pm


Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests