Disable speaker cutoff on Roku 3

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Disable speaker cutoff on Roku 3

Postby bugeek » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:06 pm

Really would like a way to disable the speaker audio being cut off when a pair of headphones are plugged into the Roku 3 remote..
Think it be great to be able to use conventional headphones without a wireless adapter, or a long extension cord for listening to the Roku while others watch TV... Great for those who are a bit hard of hearing to make the Roku 3 more accessable and useful..
bugeek

Re: Disable speaker cutoff on Roku 3

Postby kc8pql » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:11 pm

Don't know if it's even possible, but I'd second the request. My wife is getting a bit hard of hearing in her old age.
If she could use the headphones, I could go back to listening to the TV at a normal volume instead of being blown into the back of my chair. :shock:
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby RokuMarkn » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:59 pm

There is a mode that does that. It is intended for debugging and is not a supported feature, but you can try it out. To toggle it on and off, press these buttons on the remote volume control while the headphone is inserted: U U D D U U U D D D.

--Mark
RokuMarkn
Roku Engineering

Postby kc8pql » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:01 pm

Thanks Mark. You may have given me a reason to order a 3. :P
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
kc8pql

Postby Gilgamesh » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:06 pm

kc8pql wrote:Thanks Mark. You may have given me a reason to order a 3. :P
You do realize that doing that would give your wife control of the remote. Something no "real" man should allow. :wink: :mrgreen:
Gilgamesh

Postby jeffrok » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:09 pm

This is a great feature suggestion.. Maybe "Mute TV speaker when headphone is plugged in" is what you call it?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok

Postby kc8pql » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:11 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:You do realize that doing that would give your wife control of the remote. Something no "real" man should allow. :wink: :mrgreen:

Hey, after 40 years married to the same woman, there's not much of that left anyway. :wink:
kc8pql

Postby RickRansom » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:50 pm

Neat. Just make sure check the volume on your TV/AMP or you'll be in for blast..!! :lol:
Retired
- Now works at Riot Games
RickRansom

Postby macharborguy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:08 pm

This is going to make my girlfriend so happy. She loves the Roku, and while I was more happy about the headphone addition to the Roku 3, she will love this "debug" feature because, at times (even with our nice Sony A/V receiver), some movies have music/sfx that are far louder than the main dialog (even using the AVRs compensation features). The headphones have a bit more of a tinny sound, but having both the main speakers and the headphones running at once allows the speakers to add a little bass, while the headphones keep the dialog at a more reasonable level vs the music and effects.
macharborguy

Postby njweb » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:11 am

bugeek wrote:Really would like a way to disable the speaker audio being cut off when a pair of headphones are plugged into the Roku 3 remote..
Think it be great to be able to use conventional headphones without a wireless adapter, or a long extension cord for listening to the Roku while others watch TV... Great for those who are a bit hard of hearing to make the Roku 3 more accessable and useful..

+1
Not a bad idea! My parents would love the ability to do this.
Three Roku 3 units (March 2013)
njweb

Postby bugeek » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:48 am

Thanks Mark.. Could this be somehow integrated into an on-screen option in a later firmware revision, and polished to become a supported feature, knowing this actually cinched the deal to upgrade...
bugeek

Postby kc8pql » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:54 am

He won't be able to comment about that. Roku employes don't talk out of class about potential features.
You can be assured it's on their radar now though.
kc8pql

Postby dwbrooks1 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:11 pm

When I use the UUDD secquence, the TV speakers only stay on for about 20 seconds, then they shut off. Is this peculiar to my system or is there something I can do to keep the TV speakers on while I also hear the audio on my headphones?
dwbrooks1

Postby DerekHelps » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:37 pm

RokuMarkn wrote: It is intended for debugging and is not a supported feature, but you can try it out.....
--Mark

dwbrooks1 wrote:When I use the UUDD secquence, the TV speakers only stay on for about 20 seconds, then they shut off. Is this peculiar to my system or is there something I can do to keep the TV speakers on while I also hear the audio on my headphones?

Point is, not a supported feature.
Netgear WNR2000v2
Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT Firmware acting as Client Bridge
Soundbridge M2000/M500/R1000
Roku 2 XS 3100
-------------------------------------------------
It's all in the <sup>details</sup>
DerekHelps

Postby RokuPatrick » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:56 am

As mentioned, this is not a supported or released feature. As a result, it may not have been tested or it may not work as expected. Also,it's subject to change or removal at any time.
RokuPatrick

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion